Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DST Test failure

• 29-10-2008 10:08pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Anyone know who to resolve a hard drive DST Test problem? The laptop keeps freezing and when a diagnostic test is done this is the error that is showing??

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanx! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'm not trying to be smart but if the drive is physically damaged, the only option is to replace and reload with operating system.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Hey, thanx for the reply! no, there is no physical damage done at all. It just freezes everytime I start up so I did this diagnostic test and thats whats showing up as the error but I havent a clue what it means or how to rectify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I'm guessing this is a Dell laptop ?

If it's freezing on startup AND failing to complete the disk self-test ... it may be the hard disk is fubared.

Was the laptop dropped at any stage ? When did it last boot correctly ?

Yes tis a Dell.

I rebooted correctly yesterday but since then it hasnt worked properly. and it was dropped, but it was bout a year ago! :eek:

Does the disk sound 'funny' when it spins up ?

Have you a CD or DVD that you can boot from ?

• Advertisement

nope doesnt sound any different and I cant find any of the the disks that came with it! grr. I'll dig them out and work from there! Thanx a mill!

If you do manage to boot from CD/DVD ... and you can access the hard disk ... get whatever critical data you can from it, while you can.

Failing to boot, and failing a self-test does not bode well.

There are a bunch of wizards and some testing / diagnosis tools on the Dell website, depending on the model/vintage of your laptop.

the only thing I'd want from it are my photos. I dont have a clue about these things so I'd nearly be better just getting a new laptop.

I went onto Dells website and my model is obsolete and has been replaced. it recommended doing the diagnostics which I did but there is no other info I could find or that made sense to me.

Advertisement