Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBay & Importation

Options
  • 29-10-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

New to the forum and wanting to buy some gear. Had a browse round the Irish sites and they just don't have what I'm looking for :( However, with the strong euro / dollar at the minute I was thinking eBay.

Can anyone tlk from experience as to the implications of bringing airsoft AEG's etc from the US etc by post? I know the fps is different over there with some quoted at near 600 fps but they can be adjusted down.

Any thoughts and input gladly taken!

Regards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

ok if your importing there are a number of things to be aware of..

all aegs would need to be downgraded before importation and just be under 1j

remember the vat and duty along with shipping charges when working out cost

also be aware that any aeg from the us will have trades removed and an orange flash hider (this could be the original painted or a replacement flash hider)

even thought the item you want is not in stock or on an irish site a lot of them will be able to get anything you want, what are you looking to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

VAT & Duty would be ok. The problem would be "downgrading". I'm sure some sellers would but you couldn't gaurentee it. Could you not attach a letter stating it can be downgraded?

My persumption would be that all AEG's in Ireland could theorically be upgraded over the limit so there shouldn't be too much of a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong :confused:

VAT & Duty would be ok. The problem would be "downgrading". I'm sure some sellers would but you couldn't gaurentee it. Could you not attach a letter stating it can be downgraded?

no you can not do this, if it is taken and tested it will be destroyed
    My persumption would be that all AEG's in Ireland could theorically be upgraded over the limit so there shouldn't be too much of a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong

Yes this is true, but you are then making and illegal weapon and committing an offense, i would make a bomb out of a few household items but i don't do it, there are a lot of things you can theoretically do.

The aeg would be no use for skirmishing as it would always be tested on the day.

I'm a legal person. I'm into paintball and I'm fully licensed on that. Just want to try my hand at airsoft.

How to Airsoft shops get round this? I presume alot of the kit comes from the US and Britain.

Do the guns actually get tested though? Does anyone know any more about that aspect?

I appreciate the skirmishing remark. In paintball all guns are chroned before play aswell.

I would say that say that most items are brought in from hong kong and uk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

all the shops get there aeg's downgraded before they ship them in (mainly from hong kong i think) and when they arivr they check them and tweek them if needs be. your best bet would to be buy from an irish retailer because if your aeg breaks down you can simply bring it bak to the shop for repairs
    and theys order in most things for you if they dont stock them
    eirsoft is a good shop check out there thread in the retailer section

Thanks folks. I'll get in contact with a few shops.

Advertisement