Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Tennant quitting at end of 2009 specials

• 29-10-2008 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Just seen DT on BBC News confirming that he is finishing up as the Doctor at the end of the 2009 specials, along with RTD.

So, shame about DT leaving but very interested to see what direction Steven Moffat will be bringing the series. For me, David Tennant certainly has not outstayed his welcome as the Doctor.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very disappointing to hear Tennant is leaving, but all told he'll have had a great run. We now really do have a blank slate for Moffat. First and foremost the question will be of course; who will take over & how will the Doctor die?

Interestingly, the Christmas Special's title is
    "The Next Doctor"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pretty much what was speculated, so not a huge surprise.

It'll be interesting to see who gets chosen. Let the speculation begin!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Shame but, on the other hand, it might be good to allow Moffat to start with a really clean slate. As much as I thought DT did a good job, he did ham it up on occasion and I'd like to see a new-comer reign it in a little, in keeping with a direction I (hope) Moffat takes it.

The actor who did Tom Quinn on 'Spooks' would work for me, but maybe just because I've watched 3 episodes of the show in the last two days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the actor that plays Dexter would make a great Doctor. or masuka :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny cos there was a rumour knocking about the place that Paterson Joseph (Seen in "Parting of the Ways", "Peep Show", and generally a character actor) was supposedly Moffat's choice to be the next Doctor, the timing is handy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

In fairness, the cool thing about Tennant is that he's such a fan of the show that it's probably not the last we have seen of Tennant in the show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Sad to see Tennant go but he had a good run and he has next years specials to set up a good send off.

I want to get this in right now if James Nesbit is allowed anywhere near a Doctor Who set I will go effing mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Just saw this on youtube now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ86n6ziHFA (cool how he was introduced by Sylar :)). Shame he's leaving but as has been said above it'll be good to give Moffat a clean slate (though i was kinda looking forward to a full season of 'Blink' quality episodes).

Still, he'll be a hard act to follow, i hope they get someone that is up for the task.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Aw.

Sad to see him go, but hey, new doctor!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Pretty much what was speculated, so not a huge surprise.

It'll be interesting to see who gets chosen. Let the speculation begin!
    Pat Shortt.

Pat Shortt.

Aidan Walsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Nah, he's already The Master :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Nah, he's already The Master :)
    Que?:p

The Master wrote: »
    Que?:p

Don't worry he is only the master of the universe, not time and space.

SDooM wrote: »
    Don't worry he is only the master of the universe, not time and space.

Phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

pixelburp wrote: »
    Funny cos there was a rumour knocking about the place that Paterson Joseph (Seen in "Parting of the Ways", "Peep Show", and generally a character actor) was supposedly Moffat's choice to be the next Doctor, the timing is handy!

Yeah. That is an interesting rumour. I think he could work very well as the Doctor.

empjones460.jpg

And I too really, really hope Nesbit doesn't get it... can't stand the sight of the guy.... and the fact that he worked with Moffat on Jekyll doesn't inspire me with confidence.

and the fact that he worked with Moffat on Jekyll doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Wasnt there some ridiculous reason given for Jekyll's "Norn Iron" accent?
    I don't want the Doctor regenerating in Belfast or something stupid like that just cause Nesbit cant act!!

I don't want the Doctor regenerating in Belfast or something stupid like that just cause Nesbit cant act!!

Amazing, moffats gone from fan fave to lash back without even taking control of the franchise. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

every planet must have an "Norn" as well as a North, perhaps?

Given the fact that Who is the BBC number 1 ratings winner on Saturday nights you would expect that they would look for someone already recognisable, well respected and popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

I agree that DT hasn't out-stayed his welcome, but if he doesn't leave soon, he would get stuck. He's been very clever doing a lot of other work.
    CE was able to use a Manc accent because he is a very compelling actor. Nesbit is competant, at best. I really hope he doesn't do it.
    Part of DT's success was that he made the part his own, he didn't try to emmulate CE. I hope the next Doctor does the same (not try to be like DT).
    If Pat shortt is The Master, maybe Jon Kenny as The Doctor..:eek:
    Ah, to hell with it, bring back Tom Baker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Let's start the ''Tom Baker for 11th Doctor campaign" right here.
    I did hear a while back that the captain's assistant from ''Voyage Of The Damned" was named by RTD and Moffatt as a good future Doctor.
    ...I'm against Nesbitt too...
    Him and his poxy accent...

SDooM wrote: »
    Amazing, moffats gone from fan fave to lash back without even taking control of the franchise. :D

I'm not ragging on The Moff I love his stuff ,but I just cant deal with that Nesbit gob****e.

As I said in the other thread
    Bill Nighy for the 11th doctor

bill-nighy.jpg

...I'm against Nesbitt too...
    Him and his poxy accent...
    Don't be so against Nesbitts - think how brilliantly Rab C. Nesbitt would work:

071rabcnesbitt_228x284.jpg

He can confound his enemies because they'll never understand anything he's saying and there's even a link to the current Doctor in that casting so it's pretty much perfect!

-1 to Nesbitt; he's a big scowling scruff bag with an irritating voice.

Maybe a more interesting question to throw out there is this; what will the new Doctor be like? We have had the grumpy "Damaged Goods" Doctor in #9, the goofy #10 with swathes of self-rightiousness, but what should #11 be?

Rab C would have to switch the sonic screwdriver for a sonic headbutt:D
    I think that DT was the darkest of all doctors, it was well hiden, but when it appeared.....
    Saw Tom Baker on Have I Got News For You. Brilliant.
    Perhaps Georgina Moffit, maybe that was the natural regeneration. Can Timelords change gender?
    Maybe John Simm, a former Master, Life On Galifrey.
    Colm Meany.
    As long as whoever takes over stamps their own personality onto the part, who cares who it is.

Ziggy_1972 wrote: »
    I think that DT was the darkest of all doctors, it was well hiden, but when it appeared.....
    Possibly of the televised stuff, yes. I think the darkest would have been the 7th and what they had planned for him - indeed the darkest moment of the 8th ("Human Nature"/"Family of Blood") is part of that storyline. Also the 6th Doctor did choke his assistant - and it wasn't even Mel!
    Perhaps Georgina Moffit, maybe that was the natural regeneration. Can Timelords change gender?
    Only in charity specials... And just no. No. Not her. No.
    Maybe John Simm, a former Master, Life On Galifrey.
    He can't turn into his former-friend now-enemy!
    Colm Meany.
    A bit too gruff maybe for the Doctor but it'd be great to hear a Doctor with an Irish accent!

I believe either Rupert Penry-Jones or Matthew MacFayden (Adam and Tom in "Spooks") would make good candidates and have the additional kudos of being established faces.
    As long as whoever takes over stamps their own personality onto the part, who cares who it is.
    True, although the personality bit is key - they have to be likeable and different enough to their predecessor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ziggy_1972 wrote: »
    Perhaps Georgina Moffit, maybe that was the natural regeneration.

There's only one response to that!

cyberpuke_big.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

If you had to pick an Irish actor to play the Doctor, who would it be?
    I think the aforementioned Colm Meaney would be good, he could bring his love of Celtic Mysticism to the role :p

• Advertisement

Heh-heh-heh, loving the reaction to Georgina, I WASN'T being serious.:D
    I don't remember Colin Baker choking anybody, was it just in the books?
    I knew that "Human Nature"/"Family of Blood" had been a book about Doctor 8, but it's firmly a DT story now.
    An Irish Doctor, maybe Cillian Murphy? I DO think the Doctor should have an English accent, though. I know that Sylvester had a Scottish brogue, but I think he is a quintessintially English character.
    Didn't The Master take the body of of a former character? (Teegan's dad, I think).
    And didn't Romana also take the body of a former character?

Advertisement