Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Tennant quitting at end of 2009 specials

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

i heard some place that robert carlyle was a name being thrown about to be the next doctor. i can't see it being true to be honest but i do like him as an actor. it will be a shame to see tennant go but it has to happen some time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At this stage in the process, you're gonna hear everyone being tipped as the next Doctor. Doubly so if they're a "named" British star like Carlyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Apparently they'll be announcing the new Doctor at the start of next Friday's Children in Need special.

http://planetgallifrey.blogspot.com/2008/11/new-new-doctor.html
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/23/anglophenia.jsp?bc_id=1262

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Stark wrote: »
    Apparently they'll be announcing the new Doctor at the start of next Friday's Children in Need special.

http://planetgallifrey.blogspot.com/2008/11/new-new-doctor.html
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/23/anglophenia.jsp?bc_id=1262

Hm... wouldn't be too sure of the sources though, seeing as they were saying all 7 extant doctors would be doing something together a few weeks back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I would take news that with a pinch of Fendahl-repellent. At least we don't have long to wait :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

OK, this isn't based on any rumours, but what would you think of Timothy Spall? I think he would be very good, and very different from CE & DT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Its a shame Tennant is quitting :(
    She made her name as Doctor Who's feisty sidekick but Billie Piper could become the first woman to claim the top job.
    The 26-year-old actress was a huge hit with fans and critics when she played Rose Tyler in the popular BBC series.
    Now David Tennant, who is to quit as the Time Lord at the end of the year, has given his influential seal of approval.
    Actress Billie Piper is favourite to win the coveted role of Doctor Who
    Asked if Miss Piper could take on the role, he said a female Doctor was a distinct possibility.
    'Why not?' he said. 'It's one of those parts any actor could bring something valid to, because it can be anything and it's a blank canvas every time.

The difference is a virtue with each Doctor. It's not like you're casting Tarzan where you've got to have somebody who looks good in a loincloth.'

Miss Piper, married to actor Laurence Fox, 29, is on a career break after the birth of their first child Winston James Fox last month.

Other frontrunners include EastEnders star Tom Ellis, 29, Paterson Joseph, who would be the first black Doctor, David Morrissey and James Nesbitt, the star of Cold Feet.

Outgoing David Tennant, on BBC Breakfast this morning, said he wouldn't be surprised if Billie Piper lands the role as his replacement

EastEnders star Tom Ellis is another frontrunner to play the Time Lord
    Tennant will leave after completing four special episodes of Dr Who to air in 2009.

Executive producer Russell T Davies is also leaving before the fifth series, which will be screened in 2010. Bafta-winning writer Steven Moffat will take over.

Joanna Lumley was suggested as a female Doctor in 1981 to replace Tom Baker but the role went to Peter Davison.

From Daily Mail

JP Liz wrote: »
    Its a shame Tennant is quitting :(

From Daily Mail

David tennant also said Little Jimy Krankee would make a good next doctor. They'll make a story out of anything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Indie18 wrote: »
    i heard some place that robert carlyle was a name being thrown about to be the next doctor. i can't see it being true to be honest but i do like him as an actor. it will be a shame to see tennant go but it has to happen some time.

Wasn't that just an excuse for someone to make the joke about opening the new series with the Doctor shouting "C'moan then ya basturd, ah'll kick ye in yur wee tin baws"? Hilarious though Begbie-as-the-Doctor would be, I don't think anyone at the BBC is quite that keen on polarising their audience and probably killing off the immediate viability of the franchise...

Fysh wrote: »
    Wasn't that just an excuse for someone to make the joke about opening the new series with the Doctor shouting "C'moan then ya basturd, ah'll kick ye in yur wee tin baws"? Hilarious though Begbie-as-the-Doctor would be, I don't think anyone at the BBC is quite that keen on polarising their audience and probably killing off the immediate viability of the franchise...

As I said...
    SDooM wrote: »
    David tennant also said Little Jimy Krankee would make a good next doctor. They'll make a story out of anything.

Really, we will hear anyone who is vaguely liked by RTD, DT or Moffat is up for the role in the next year or so.

• Advertisement

So, I watched Children In Need. So, is David Morrissey going to be the next Doctor? No. I don't think so. They would have had a press conferrence, or something. Or DM would have appeared on CIN to talk about. This smells of herring, of the red variety.
    Some, but probably not all will be revealed at Christmas.

Ziggy_1972 wrote: »
    So, I watched Children In Need. So, is David Morrissey going to be the next Doctor? No. I don't think so. They would have had a press conferrence, or something. Or DM would have appeared on CIN to talk about. This smells of herring, of the red variety.
    Some, but probably not all will be revealed at Christmas.

Fiver says he's the valeyard. :D

Actually I think there will be some BS solution, like he'll be an alternate reality doctor.

It's been RTD's way all along. Regeneration me arse.

Naw, simplest solution is always the correct one - it'll turn out he's another Jack Harkness, a con-man who pretends to be the Doctor for kicks / money / fame.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Naw, simplest solution is always the correct one - it'll turn out he's another Jack Harkness, a con-man who pretends to be the Doctor for kicks / money / fame.

occams razor does not apply to RTD. Dalek Khan wants to destroy the dalek race? A good start for him would have been, you know, not bringing them back to life himself?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

pixelburp wrote: »

That's exactly what he is,

If you've ever read/listened The One Doctor
    It loosely will follow that story

Yeah, I agree with Pixelburp.
    SDooM, I'll have a fiver with you. Actually, I'd always wondered if perhaps The Valeyard would turn out to be the first incarnation of The Master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

BBC bosses are in talks to sign actor Colin Salmon to be the first black Doctor Who.

They want the James Bond star to take over when David Tennant, 37, leaves in 2009.

Colin, 45, appeared as character Dr Moon this year — but is best known as M’s assistant in three 007 films. He was tipped to land the Bond role before it went to Daniel Craig.

A BBC source said: “He made a good impression when he appeared and bosses think the time is right to have the first black Doctor.”

He has a great voice & would certainly call to mind Tom Baker, but he's a bit too serious for the role perhaps? He has an action movie CV so he wouldn't be unsuited to running about. I bet that story's from The Sun (or similar tabloid); they always back up those kind of stories with "a source".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Hahaha... I think this clip might give away the new Doctor...

Hope it rings true. He's definitely my favourite to take over from Tennant.

Oops! Though I wonder if he's just trying to big-up his mate, although the rumours about him have always been fairly strong. Patterson has always been my personal favoured name bandied about; he's just well known enough to be a "face", and with the right mixture of comic & serious acting chops the role requires. From the outset I have always been dead set against the idea of a household name getting the role, Eccles notwithstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Patterson as the doc and Sally Sparrow as his companion. That'd work for me :)

Anyone catch Survivors last night?

It was pretty damn good.

Patterson does have a great energy about him that I think is perfect for doctor who. That sort of borderline mania always seemed a bit forced with Eccleston and Tennant. But like Tom Baker, I think it comes naturally to Patterson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I did catch Survivors. There was a big sense of Doctor about him as he offered the woman a chance to 'travel with him' and they then drive straight into trouble. Very Doctor of him. Even the official website is picking up on the rumors, if you check the newly updated factfile for 'Bad Wolf' episode they mention that PJ is in contention.

Well, you can see who it isn't going to be; Robert Carlyle. It seems he is going to be the lead in the latest Stargate spinoff (seriously, how does this show get so many spinoffs on such a limited premise?):

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39446

Sounds like a rehash of Macross as well.

I'm glad it won't be Robert Carlyle, he's a bit too established.
    Actually, I watched Eragon recently, and I couldn't help thinking that he would be great as The Master.
    Another Stargate series, and this time they're lost in space? Sounds a lot like Star Trek Voyager. I wonder how many of the cast members they'll get?

Advertisement