Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving when frosty/icy

Options
  • 29-10-2008 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Any tips? I have my full licence since dec last but as I was only driving my mam's car when she wasn't using it I've never really driven in vey icy conditions... givn the weather forecast for the next few days and given that I'll be driving my car to work I thought I'd start a thead and see what advice people could give, I'm sure others will find it useful too!

What I know so far is drive slowly, be gentle with the brakes and drive in a high gear at a low speed...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Allow gap between traffic of 1 meter for every 1 km/h, avoid over acceleration and refrain from heavily braking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds silly but make sure you can see! Dont leave until the windows are properly clear, ditto your mirrors. Also make sure you are warm, too cold driving is as dangerous
    as being too warm.

If you should feel a loss of traction don't panic, gently lift off.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike65 wrote: »
    Sounds silly but make sure you can see! Dont leave until the windows are properly clear
    That reminds me of a neighbour of mine back when we had proper winters. She used to clear a little circular piece of her windscreen about the size of a saucer and drive to work peering through it (with all other windows thick with frost! :eek:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RedzDrivingScho

macroman wrote: »
    Allow gap between traffic of 1 meter for every 1 km/h, avoid over acceleration and refrain from heavily braking.

Hi.......

not trying to be picky.....but 1 metre per kmh is ok in dry......double in wet and 10 times in ice.......

Apart from high gears and slow speed the other advice I can give is to take it very, very easy and brake gently and very early......check if your car has ABS and it's worth while reading up on correct braking with/without abs.....

Hope that helps.....

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

If you hit a slippy patch, the trick is to use the brakes as little as possible and no sudden steering wheel turns.
    If you do start to slide, try not to panic. Dont brake and steer gently in the direction you feel the car going for a few seconds - it will correct itself.
    Give yourself more time for the journey so you wont be in a hurry. Plan your journey - if you know your route well, think of which areas might be dodgy and slow down before you get to them.
    Take your time and dont feel pressured by faster drivers. Remember we were all in the same position at some time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement