Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spilt tea on my sony k850

• 29-10-2008 11:31pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey
    Im just after spilling tea on my k850,i spilt it mainly on the key pad area,I dried it with a cloth and then the hair dyer,then it went all wonky on me,and turned itself off and wont even turn on now :(,im leaving it in the hotpress for the nite in the hope that the tea mite be dryed out by morning,any ideas how much it would cost to fix?and would it be worth while fixing?

thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you've got liquid in your phone my general advise is to backup what you can from it when it starts working again and then buy a new phone as it's buggered. No repair centre will touch it (in warranty or out).

It may be the case the phone starts working again in a few days when it drys off but it will break again a couple hours / days / weeks later (no way to really tell with liquid damage) and cause you ongoing problems that you may or may not associate with the liquid damage.

This is my experience and my 2 cents.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

cheers for the reply,would it be worth my while even bringing it back to a vodafone shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's always worth your while .. maybe they won't notice. But they will notice. But who knows :)

Just don't be one of those customers who stands there demanding they never used it underwater so there couldn't be liquid in it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

No they'll only cover it for warranty repairs.

If you have insurance, put in a claim if not it's a case of buying a new phone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Random wrote: »
    Just don't be one of those customers who stands there demanding they never used it underwater so there couldn't be liquid in it ;)

haha nah I would'nt make a fool outta myself for the sake of a phone,cant find the recipt anyway,oh well thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

you have done the right thing by putting it in the hot press.Leave it there for a couple of days.
    I dropped my K750 in a half pint of Guinness once. Left it in the hot press for a few days and it worked. But the 5 key stuck a bit and I ended up ordering some keyboard part on eBay.

Let it dry out
    Try turning it on in a few days
    See how it works
    You might be lucky

If my K750 can survive a pint of stout, surely your K850 will fair better from tea...

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

OP, there is a small white sticker on the battery, this is small sticker will go red if the phone has been severely liquid damaged, and in this case most phone repair places will not even bother to look at it when they see this. There might be a white sticker in the phone battery compartment too.

Lets know how ya get on with it.

Thanks for the advice so far lads,I turned it on there and it seems to be working ok :O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Thanks for the advice so far lads,I turned it on there and it seems to be working ok :O.

Hey

Just make sure you back it up as soon as possible

zyb.com for your numbers and usb cable or bluetooth all photos/ringtones/videos off it as god only knows how long it will last since it has been water damaged.

There is nothing that can be done if you bring it to a shop in relation to water damage as if they send it off to be repaired MPRC will x-ray the phone and see the water damage.

OP, there is a small white sticker on the battery, this is small sticker will go red if the phone has been severely liquid damaged, and in this case most phone repair places will not even bother to look at it when they see this. There might be a white sticker in the phone battery compartment too.

Lets know how ya get on with it.

the sticker you mentioned is still white.

• Advertisement

Well Im Back to square one again.Last night it decided to turn itself off again and now it wont come back on :mad::confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Well Im Back to square one again.Last night it decided to turn itself off again and now it wont come back on :mad::confused::(

too be honest that's the phone gone. New phone is in order.

No repair company will look at it due to water damage as it is the first thing they look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Looks like you may need a new phone alright.

But... How confident are you in taking it apart? To see if anything oblious is the problem.

Look here for instructions

Good luck

cheers lads,seems to working again,godsake would it ever make up its mind and say working or else die!I probbly will get a new phone though,no doubt it will die again :rolleyes:.

Advertisement