Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Upgrades ? Are they mad?

• 29-10-2008 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I just enquired about an upgrade from Meteor, my contract expires on 31 October. I'm on Talk 300 and my bills are pretty hefty at around €75 ish.

Anyway, they informed me that I am not eligable for an upgrade until 15/11/2008 i.e. my next billing date.

So, basically they're offering me no incentive to stay with them until the 15th of November and I am quite keen to upgrade my handset as my current phone's on the blink.

I'm seriously considering going over to iPhone 350 on O2.

Is there anything to stop me from moving network on 31st?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nothing to stop you no. Go into O2 shop with your passport and copy of your most recent Meteor bill.

You may be liable for 30 days more rental (as you have to give 30 days notice) but I believe this is sometimes not applicable when you port out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

ring in and ask for a super then say exactly what ya said here but dont mention o2. just say other networks have promised you better deals both short and long term.

I find meteor tend to fold after a while even when i was only pre-pay they had to change things for me he he like free texts etc but still none the less i'm battling for signal at the moment and i'm winning! (can send texts from my house now*)

*house is located in dunboyne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

When I was with "3" they were more than proactive about upgrades, I got a call offering me all sorts of nice freebees about a week or two before my contract came to an end. They seemed to be very keen to keep my business.

Meteor's kinda luke warm in comparison. Although, I have no doubt that if I suggest porting out they may get a little more serious.

Why shouldn't I mention O2? The main reason I'm considering porting out is that Meteor's data plans are rubbish value even on bill pay. I use a good bit of mobile browsing on the phone, and if I got to an N95, I have no doubt that this will increase.

I had a long think about it and the iPhone has a few pluses for me.

The inclusive 1GB data allowance.
    The good browsing experience.
    I have a Mac and a pretty big itunes library so, moving it over to another phone is a pain in the ...

I don't like the fact that O2 charge for things like voicemail access though. Pretty mean!

If Meteor could chuck in a large data bundle for free, I would definitely consider the N95 8GB with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

congo_90 wrote: »
    ring in and ask for a super then say exactly what ya said here but dont mention o2. just say other networks have promised you better deals both short and long term.

I find meteor tend to fold after a while even when i was only pre-pay they had to change things for me he he like free texts etc but still none the less i'm battling for signal at the moment and i'm winning! (can send texts from my house now*)

get onto bill pay, ring them up next week saying that you dont have signal at home, hey presto you're out of contract:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

metalfest wrote: »
    get onto bill pay, ring them up next week saying that you dont have signal at home, hey presto you're out of contract:)

sorry for thread jacking but..

I am on bill pay. I'm on bill pay nearly 6months and have been complaining for 13months (was on pre pay too) was told "an engineer will check it out" which was bo11ocks i've threatened plently of times but tbh i dont wanna leave cos too many friends on meteor so they can contact me easily because they're still pre-pay*

*some bill but not many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

go into a shop, say it to them, someone on here said recently in a different thread that if you dont have signal in your house you can get out of contract
    start your own thread and ask the boardsies

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

go into a shop, say it to them, someone on here said recently in a different thread that if you dont have signal in your house you can get out of contract

You can get out of your contract due to coverage issues but it is checked out.

If you do have poor coverage call Customer Care. They will perform a standard troubleshoot to eliminate any obvious issues and then you will be asked for information such as exact location and 3 examples of dropped calls.

They will then send it off to their technical department who will check the sites that serve the area and how close you are to them. If they determine that you may be in a poor coverage area then it is sent to the engineering team who will drive test the area.

If after all this and there are no plans afoot to upgrade the area then you will be allowed to cancel your contract without penalties. It can be a lengthy process though and I would not advise it unless you are tied to a contract and genuinely don't have coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

There is nothing to stop you jumping ship on the 31st.
    But if you are complaining about Meteor not upgrading you till another 15 days later, then O2 is not for you.

On your current spend, you would not see an upgrade from O2 until the middle of 2010 with their new criteria.

Patience is a virtue...

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

congo_90 wrote: »

You cant speak to a supervisor with Meteor by just ringing up. You have to request a 'supervisor call back', basicly your name and number are added to a list and a supervisor calls you back some time within the next 24 hours. Its a stupid system.

Argued for ages about it on the phone once trying to get something done before I went away early the next morning. Eventually the customer service rep hung up on me.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they might wonder why he waited a year to let them know and they might also wonder how he has so many incoming and outgoing calls on his bill if he has no coverage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm now thinking I might go for the Nokia E71 on Meteor.

My main phone uses are voice and email and browsing and it looks like a nice handset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Solair wrote: »
    . I'm on Talk 300 and my bills are pretty hefty at around €75 ish.

for talk 300 thats not very hefty.

Advertisement