Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The following phones can be turned into bug devices and controlled by remote access

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All phones to the best of my knowledge have been using a separate bios batteries for years. It my be some form of a capacitor built into the circuitry that takes its charge from the main battery.
    Capacitors can't hold charge indefinitely. From my experience, many electronics will retain small things like the time for a couple of minutes at most when disconnected from power. This is to facilitate the need to unplug stuff or take out their batteries for short periods of time.
    If they were to depend on taking the power from the main battery al lot of the data would be lost as soon as the battery is removed.
    How so? EEPROM allows small electronics to retain settings and information indefinitely without power. Most modern mobiles have a small quantity of solid-state storage which they use to store their settings and it doesn't require any power to retain it.
    I have an old Nokia 5100. The "clock" battery is long gone, I have to reset the clock and date each time the battery is removed or if it goes dead.
    In my experience, every single phone more than 3 or 4 years old requires that the clock be reset when the main battery is removed.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If they can turn a 3G handset into a "roving bugs" from its switched off mode i am sure they are capibile of doing a lot of other things with them. :eek:
    The first word in that sentence is by far the most pertinent.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Man I love that nutjobs like you people exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

You need to remove the sim. This is how the authorities will trick you into believe that taking the battery out is sufficient.

Thank our lucky stars that the phone itself doesn't have a unique identifier* and that SIM-less phones can't communicate with a base station**

Otherwise, it would be trivial to match a SIM (and thus a person) to a phone's unique identifier, and connect using the last-identified phone-id rather than the SIM.

*Not true - it does.
    **Also not true - they can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

can a batteryless phone communicate with a base Station??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Yes but only if the phone is 75ft from a unicorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Don't mind me, just ridding the thread of demons.
    Gareth37 wrote: »
    'Hail full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou amongst women.'

Salutation of St. Elizabeth to the Virgin Mary and the wonderful canticle MAGNIFICAT in which Mary foretold that "the generations would call her blessed."

As you were...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bonkey wrote: »
    Thank our lucky stars that the phone itself doesn't have a unique identifier* and that SIM-less phones can't communicate with a base station**

Otherwise, it would be trivial to match a SIM (and thus a person) to a phone's unique identifier, and connect using the last-identified phone-id rather than the SIM.

*Not true - it does.
    **Also not true - they can.
    Have you ever tried dialing 999? It will work in any phone without a sim card. IMEI data is sent out with the call. From this information the authorities can trace its registered owner. (If the phone is registered)

Registration of IMEI for all mobile phones using passport ID is on the cards throughout the EU in the near future, The home office was on about it in the UK recently, It is already imposed in France and will be a relatively simple and quick matter to enforce. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4969312.ece

Have you ever tried dialing 999? It will work in any phone without a sim card. IMEI data is sent out with the call. From this information the authorities can trace its registered owner. Registration of IMEI for all mobile phones is on the cards throughout the EU in the near future, It is already imposed in France and will be a relatively simple and quick matter to enforce in Ireland.

So you're saying that sensible legislation that means any phone can make a emergency call no matter if it's out of credit, is proof that phones can be used as listening devices. Did that leap of logic hurt your groin at all?

• Advertisement

Diogenes wrote: »
    So you're saying that sensible legislation that means any phone can make a emergency call no matter if it's out of credit, is proof that phones can be used as listening devices. Did that leap of logic hurt your groin at all?
    We already know that certain 3G phones can be used as listening devices.

I'm just proving a point that a mobile phone will transmit its IMEI regardless of sim being present or not. Whether it can be used as a "roving bug" without its sim has yet to be proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The GSM emergency standard is 112.

Latin American GSM networks typically do not allow 112 calls without a SIM, and Singapore mobile networks do not support 112 except for foreign travellers with roaming mobile phones.

studiorat wrote: »
    The GSM emergency standard is 112.

Latin American GSM networks typically do not allow 112 calls without a SIM, and Singapore mobile networks do not support 112 except for foreign travellers with roaming mobile phones.
    I always use 999 and just used it few months ago, maybe this will be changed to 666 to match the Garda confidential no prefixes. :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Some of you people need to get a life,

Stunning contribution as always Diogeness :rolleyes:

Stunning contribution as always Diogeness :rolleyes:

Wow so sarcasm without actual rebuttals, and a smiley, you are going to totally contribute to this forum as a mod.

• Advertisement

Diogenes wrote: »
    Yes but only if the phone is 75ft from a unicorn.

OK then lets try that again

I asked a technical question, some of teh people in this debate claim to work in the cellular or wireless fields, my question was a valid one.

now tell me how YOUR response qualifies as a non sarcastic Rebuttal please.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No. It's a fundamental fact of electronics that they don't work without a power source.

Advertisement