Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast Food Query

Options
  • 30-10-2008 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

This is just something I was wondering about so I was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

When ordering a meal and you get a drink with it, if you ask for no ice, should they fill the cup to the mark on it regardless? It's just I noticed that they don't 99% of the time.

I am aware that the machine only dispenses so much depending on the cup size but are you fully entitled to have it filled to the mark when no ice is added?

Just wondering!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Don't see why, as they don't advertise the drink as a specific volume, merely small, medium and large.

However; if, on the menu, the drink was advertised as a specific amount (say 500ml) then yes, you would be entitled to have them pour up to the 500 ml mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

They don't pour them though, do they?

I mean they just press a button and it fills the cups with set amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Holsten wrote: »
    They don't pour them though, do they?

I mean they just press a button and it fills the cups with set amounts.

Exactly, they are dispensing the same amount of liquid regardless of whether there is ice or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

There is usually an overide button that will add small amounts. I see them do this in Supermacs where they top up the drink if the cup is not full after the auto dispensing of the liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

are you fully entitled to have it filled to the mark when no ice is added?

No.

Some places advertise the volume of drink being served on the price list, some don't (saying just s/m/l). Either way, it's not like draught alcohol which has to be served and priced under specific rules, so they can serve what they like for as much as they like.

Most dispensers (particularly in bigger fast food chains) dispense fixed amounts (with good accuracy). Cups are designed to be "Xcl + some" (say 40cl with spare head room for ice). Many chains, like the Supermacs example top up so as the cup won't look as empty without ice, but that is just a balancing act of reducing the number of complaints versus the increase in the cost of the drink served (1 or 2 cents, probably); it's not a requirement by any means.

So the answer is, still, no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

From experience, its more a human thing.

the staff are trained to scoop ice/ pour/cap. It becomes a habit/routine, and to not put ice in the person need to think about what they are doing.

Also in busy stores the person pourning may not be the person who takes the order either.

BTW they do calculate margins based on there is x fl oz of drink in each cup, including ice, so yes it does cost them more not to put ice in it. So there may be an elelment of begrudgery, but if a customer purchases the meal, they are making money as the main item usualy is sold at a small profit, and the big margins are on the fries and drinks.

Advertisement