Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Netgear wgr614v9 and wg602v4

Options
  • 30-10-2008 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Sorry if I've got the terminology wrong here.

I have a Netgear wgr614v9 connected to UPC cable BB in one room and and PC connected to a Netgear wg602v4 in another.

I'm trying to configure the wireless AP and router to talk so I can access interweb from pc wired to wg602v4 lan port.

Anyone know what settings I need - I've tried everything I can think of but no joy.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Thanks for that Munster.

I have tried all those variations but no joy. I can't establish a connection between the 602 and the 614. I conciously bought two netger products to avoid any config issues - so much for that!

I'll give it another bash tonight.

Thanks again.

Still no joy.

To elabortate a bit - the 614 is the wireless router UPC left here. I'm using that now from a laptop.

The 602 is in another room with a PC attached. I want it to bridge to the 614 and access the web that way.

To docs you sent on earlier Munster appear to have a separate router to the 614 - is this necessary?

Thanks.

Nope but I'll have to have another read of those docs as I didn't read them in any great detail. You too have another router, the UPC modem is connected to the WAN of the 614.

Do you have DHCP turned on in the 614? If not then you might well have problems getting this to work, but the 602 should just pick up an IP from wherever the laptop you are using now gets it from.

Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /all

and post the output please.

MC

I have DHCP enabled on the 614 and disabled on the 602 - I'm thinking whenever this is up and running, the 614 will be the DHCP server for all clients.

It seems that this just won't work with these two devices. I've tried everything I could last night. I changed every setting I could ont he 602 and even reduced security to WEP.

Just to be clear - am I right in assuming I need to set both devices to broadcaset SSID and give them both the same SSID. This bit I'm unsure of - I've given them both the same wireless channel - maybe this is not good?

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

ok will get around to reading those manuals now and get back to you.

MC

Posted from Mobile Device

SwampThing wrote: »
    I have DHCP enabled on the 614 and disabled on the 602 - I'm thinking whenever this is up and running, the 614 will be the DHCP server for all clients.

Correct
    It seems that this just won't work with these two devices. I've tried everything I could last night. I changed every setting I could on the 602 and even reduced security to WEP.

Just to be clear - am I right in assuming I need to set both devices to broadcast SSID and give them both the same SSID. This bit I'm unsure of - I've given them both the same wireless channel - maybe this is not good?

Thanks for your help.

I am as puzzled as you, temporarily remove the encryption altogether so we can test the ability of the devices to connect without the barrier of encryption being in the mix, did you try the 602 in client mode? Essentially the 602 operates as a wireless card for the devices connected to its LAN ports.

Must go read the manuals.

MC

I'm getting nowhere with this. I think they just won't work together.

I'm all for looking for this information myself, but as far as wireless goes, I'm fairly green. Does anyone know for sure, what device I could get to work in this way?

Thanks.

Where you based Swampie? if down south can help you out with a site visit.

MC

Thanks a million for the offer Munster, but I'm in Naas - long drive for ya!

• Advertisement

Yeah thats out so, have you tried a wifi adaptor on the pc to get it connected?

MC

Advertisement