Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RESTServer

Options
  • 30-10-2008 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine asked me for help the other day regarding RESTServer but I can't find anything on it. He says hes heard good things about it and asked me to look into it but it must be one of the least documented things on the internet.

From what I have found is that it is implemented in java and/or python, not much but thats why I'm asking here :D

Any help is appreciated,
    S.

EDIT,
    Apparently its not a server its a ' style of software architecture for distributed hypermedia systems such as the World Wide Web' - Wiki. So now I'm wondering what the hell my friend was talking about :P

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Quite likely your friend was involved in a hit and run with a buzzword.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

2.0!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Could he be talking about RESTful webservices by any chance?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_State_Transfer

If so, I can dig out the name of a book for you.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

eoin_s wrote: »
    Could he be talking about RESTful webservices by any chance?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_State_Transfer

If so, I can dig out the name of a book for you.
    He does mention that in the OP, with an edit :)

CuLT wrote: »
    He does mention that in the OP, with an edit :)

In that case, check out the O'Reilly books OP:
    http://search.oreilly.com/?q=restful+web+services&submit.x=22&submit.y=6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

CuLT wrote: »
    Quite likely your friend was involved in a hit and run with a buzzword.
    That was my first impression too but I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt:D

@eoin_s,
    I'll take a look, I tons of stuff to be reading atm so I'm looking for a bluffers-guide site just to give my friend a run down on the ups and downs of this 'RESTServer'. Thanks for the help though :)

Seachmall wrote: »
    @eoin_s,
    I'll take a look, I tons of stuff to be reading atm so I'm looking for a bluffers-guide site just to give my friend a run down on the ups and downs of this 'RESTServer'. Thanks for the help though :)

No problems - if you just need an overview, then the wikipedia article is as good a place as any to start. I might be doing some work with it shortly as it happens.

Advertisement