Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got Smart Telecom but..

Options
  • 30-10-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

i ordered 10 meg and i can only get 6.5meg , i emailed smart about it and this is what they said

looking at the stats that our kit pulled - your line will take at most 6.5meg using ADSL2+.
    This is the best technology we can use to give broadband to your house.

Your line is marked as long - and the further from the exchange, the slower the sync speed.

thats fair enough i suppose.so if i opt out and got magnet instead would my line only manage to get the same speed 6.5meg??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Well if magnet run ASDL2+ aswell then yes,your line stats won't change for each ISP as they will always be going back to the same exchange owned by Eircom...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Smart are excellent at making the most of the lines capacity. Dont forget that irrespective of line quality adsl has built in limitations which affect the possible speed and the distance from the exchange is a significant factor.

You should visit the support forum and ask the lads there to have a look at your line and see if anything else can be done with it from their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

You won't be able to get anything higher than that from any of the dsl providers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

its down to physical limitations of your line, count yourself lucky your getting 6MB at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

dub45 wrote: »
    Smart are excellent at making the most of the lines capacity. Dont forget that irrespective of line quality adsl has built in limitations which affect the possible speed and the distance from the exchange is a significant factor.

You should visit the support forum and ask the lads there to have a look at your line and see if anything else can be done with it from their end.

They have already dub45, check the BB support forum.

OP Don't forget the Magnet router is locked down just as much if not more than the Smart one in case the dullards (us) try to change something like an open port setting...

Also with Smart when they sell you 4, 6, 10, whichever... you get that speed (providing the line can take it) for your use unlike the other providers which take adsl overheads out of the speed they have sold you.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

thanks lads.i contacted Smart and they are changing my package to 6meg.i was on 20mb in clonmel off upc.some difference since i moved to dublin on the 6 meg connection.ah well cant complain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

They also said that my line was only suitable for 6 meg, but i asked them to upgrade to 10 and was getting 950k+ consistanly without issues, the only problem was that every few months they downgrade it to six again and i have to ring them to put it back up. so try it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Skatedude wrote: »
    They also said that my line was only suitable for 6 meg, but i asked them to upgrade to 10 and was getting 950k+ consistanly without issues, the only problem was that every few months they downgrade it to six again and i have to ring them to put it back up. so try it out

thegame was already on 10M, but only getting 6.5M out of it, so that's the physical limit of the line.

Advertisement