Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Taxing a vehicle

Options
  • 30-10-2008 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I was in quinn direct recently to get a motor insurance quote done. The man did the quote for me, 'quoted' me the price and gave me a quinn-direct rectangular piece of paper with the details of the policy (including the policy cost and quote number: GEI/QMP/.... which he hand wrote on it).

I told him that I did not want to purchase the insurance straight away and that i have a car and need to insure it so i can tax it and drive it to see whats wrong with it (because it has been off the road for quite a while - so i didnt want to insure it just incase i hopped into it and the engine overheated or something).

So anyways,.. he told me that without paying for anything, he will insure me for the next 7 days on the car so i can drive it and if after 7 days I want to keep/or get rid of the policy, to ring them and let them know.

So, my question is this...I know you need to be insured on a vehicle before you can get it taxed, however, now that I am temporarily insured on the vehicle for the next 7 days (according to quinn-direct), will the motor tax office entertain me in getting motor tax on the vehicle or will they require me to be properly insured on the vehicle and have a proper policy number (other than the quote GEI/QMP/... that quinn-direct gave me ) in order to tax the vehicle?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question...I know it was a long one. sorry.

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I think they will let you tax it, I am with Quinn aswell and my policy is GEI/QMP/****** so if you put that in, and the expiry date (on motortax.ie) it should tax the car for you.

Advertisement