Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is work plentiful???

Options
  • 30-10-2008 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey guys , im just wondering is work still plentiful in oz or is the downturn hitting there too, im especially interested in the oz construction industry as im a quantity surveyor and if things go belly up here (its looking that way:() im wondering how easy would it be to get work. Any type of construction work would be grand til i get on my feet over there but ideally id like to be working as a quantity surveyor. Is it the same over tere as it wos in ireland over the past few years where you could leave a job on a friday and walk into a new one on a monday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

companies are being very cautious, although I don't believe Australia is in recession yet, it looks like it will be soon for a short while, Australia has strong ties with Asia as well as US, so it doesn't seem as bad

I know my company announced pretty much no new work coming through for the short term future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Drawing Dead

if you have a few years experience you shouldn't have a problem getting a job. it wont be as easy as you discribed it was in ireland a few years ago but there is still a high demand. the construction industry here is slowing a little as companies get a little more cautious but it is still very strong. i'm a mechanical engineer with a building services company and our estimating department is still overloaded with jobs to quote on and they expect it to stay that way for some time so there's obviously plenty of work out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I got an IT job handy enough, my housemate got a carpenter job almost straight away, though my other carpenter housemate is still out of the job for a month.

my accountant gf hasnt got a job yet either.

A childcare friend got a job easy enough too.

check www.mycareer.com.au and www.jobsjobsjobs.com.au and have a look around to see if theres much in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Brizzy is a bck hole of qulality local talent. There is a skill shortage still.
    I met a subbie today who has recrited from india and the emirates recently. He let go an ozzie and recruited abroad.

I too,took the job of an Ozzie, one was laid off the other went to the UAE.
    The mines also rob talent from commercial building and there is still a strong market for const jobs here. We have just recruited a new chief estimator ( to replace a pommie ), site manager and foreman.

I was also on a large conractors web site for a mate, Leightons, and they had dozens of vacancies ging in Qld.

Another example I was in a meeting last week, 6 of us. Paddy Indian, Paddy Ozzie, 2 Paddy irsh men and Paddy Pommie.......this is typical here...sounds like a joke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement