Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2009 - college fees

Options
  • 30-10-2008 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I understand minister o keefe has, in the budget, put the registration fee for third level colleges up from €900 to €1500 starting next year. However, I am wondering when he plans to introduce the full fees (ie.€6,000 / year)? Will this be from next year or the year after or what?

cheers

dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I would'nt get my knickers in a twist. If you are entitled to a county council grant, they will pay for you. If your parents earn enough they will be able to pay for you. I would say they would be able to claim a large chunk of the fee in tax back. I dont know the ins and outs of the tax system though so I am not 100% sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

No decision as of yet. It's "under review." O'Keeffe is being fairly quiet about it since the budget, but I doubt the issue's gone away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

The review wont be back until next march, so its probaly unlikely theyy'll be in by next year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The reg increase is a stop gap to plug the 3% exchequer cut in funding.

Tuition fees will be in place for AY 10/11 at the latest, next year possible. I would expect the reg fee to come back to about €600/€700 after that, but that's specualtion.

Fees will not be a blanket €6k either.

Courses will range from €4k-€15k depending on the resources required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Courses will range from €4k-€15k depending on the resources required.

Some courses are fairly cheap to run. Whereas ones that need equipment like chemistry, engineering etc are fairly expensive. So should the cost of a university education be based on?
    1. How much it costs
    2. How much your future earnings are going to be
    3. How much you are going to increase GDP
    4. Some other measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The "cost" of a university education (in other words how much goes from the funding source, whatever that is, to the supplying source, the college involved) should be based on whatever it actually costs to provide the resources involved.

With regard to the charge levied on the student - and there always has been one, regardless of whether that's full economic fees, a registration charge or the current hybrid charge - that's largely a mix of needs. At the moment all students basically pay the same charge (I'm discounting the grant scheme as while a large proportion of students benefit form this there's still a single amount of payment involved). Assuming the reintroduction of fees by the front door as opposed to the back door at some stage in the future, it's highly likely that courses that cost more will have a higher levy on the students participating in them. However, bearing in mind that the courses that cost most to teach are the engineering and science courses and assuming that we'll still have a shortage of people wanting to do Sci/Eng in a few years, I imagine that the government are unlikely to decide that students on these courses will pay 50% more than the arts students as people may be less likely to do Sci/Eng under those circumstances. There will be some fee fudging I suspect but only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Block G Raptor

Removal of eligibility for student support grants from Recipients of Back to Education Allowance and certain VTOS allowances;

from budget2010.gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I would'nt get my knickers in a twist. If you are entitled to a county council grant, they will pay for you. If your parents earn enough they will be able to pay for you.

It really isn't always that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Removal of eligibility for student support grants from Recipients of Back to Education Allowance and certain VTOS allowances;

from budget2010.gov.ie
    I'm assuming that at most we're talking about the maintenance end and that the reg fee remains covered?

(as even in its own universe, as I tend to say, it makes no sense to get rid of the covering of the reg fee)

There's a thread here about it by the way, I'm locking this one as it's discussing two budgets ago at this point. Feel free to participate in that thread:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement