Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

means testing based on my boyf earnings?

• 30-10-2008 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

hi
    i was unexpectedly made redundant from work, and as i was there for less than 12mths i didnt qualify for any redundancy.

So i went to apply for the dole, and i need to be means tested cos i didnt pay enough tax in 2006 due to being in college.
    Anyway i live with my boyf so im just wondering if that will affect how much dole i get. I tried calculating the means test thing on the citizens advice site, and maybe i did it wrong, but if i account for what he currently earns it means my dole would be 0!

We split everything like rent, bills etc 50/50, and i never expect him to pay my way. Also he's not an eu citizen and just came here this year and does contract work. He pays tax even tho at the end of the yr i doubt he'll have earned enough to be above the threshold for paying tax. And when hes not working, he obviously doesnt get the dole or any benefits. So with all that in mind, can they still take his current weekly earnings into account?

sorry if this is a long read...just wanted to give a background,thanks:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭owenmakken

just say he's your housemate and not your boyfriend and shouldnt make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

yeah we thought of that, but someone from the welfare is coming to the flat to do the means test, so he'll prob notice thats it a 1 bedroom, which kinda gives the game away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

they will be as tight as a ducks arse,i have payed taxs bar one year(traveling) for the last 12 years and all i got was E60 a week cause my gf earns 400 per week which is wat our mortgage repayment is:mad:.and they give us sixty to live on so dont get your hopes up..cause there fcukin as sholes in there

ps if there is anyway u can exagerate your situation to help your case I would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Job seekers benefit is not means tested though. Why dont you do that? Do you still intend to find work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Jumpy wrote: »
    Job seekers benefit is not means tested though. Why dont you do that? Do you still intend to find work?

OP said she didn't have enough PRSI contributions made due to being in college, hence she is only eligible for the means tested JA.

I guess the only thing to do OP is to go through the means test and state your case, see if they can take into account the unpredictable income pattern of your BF etc. Don't get your hopes up though, they are being very very "by the book" with the floods of people going onto the dole in recent months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

hey

thanks for the replies. Yeah unfortunately im not eligible for the jobseekers benefit.
    Had the interview, the guy was very ...officious i think is the word:rolleyes:

Didnt really care what i had to say..the worst is that they dont take into consideration what he earned all year, which is peanuts, but just what he is currently earning right now this week. I have a feeling im going to get nothing, cos he is on a decent enough contract at the moment. But due to him not working for months beforehand there is some debt to be paid off...they dont care about that tho:mad:
    He said once the contract ends i can apply to be re-assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dmg11234

ash2008 wrote: »
    hi
    i was unexpectedly made redundant from work, and as i was there for less than 12mths i didnt qualify for any redundancy.

So i went to apply for the dole, and i need to be means tested cos i didnt pay enough tax in 2006 due to being in college.
    Anyway i live with my boyf so im just wondering if that will affect how much dole i get. I tried calculating the means test thing on the citizens advice site, and maybe i did it wrong, but if i account for what he currently earns it means my dole would be 0!

We split everything like rent, bills etc 50/50, and i never expect him to pay my way. Also he's not an eu citizen and just came here this year and does contract work. He pays tax even tho at the end of the yr i doubt he'll have earned enough to be above the threshold for paying tax. And when hes not working, he obviously doesnt get the dole or any benefits. So with all that in mind, can they still take his current weekly earnings into account?

sorry if this is a long read...just wanted to give a background,thanks:o

Hi, if you say he is your boyfriend they will take his earnings into consideration - i know it is ridiculous!! just say he is your flatmate if they ask

Make the couch look like a bed just put sheets on it or something. If they push you with questions say he is your gay flatmate!!

Advertisement