Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Leak in Drogheda, is the builder liable?

Options
  • 30-10-2008 7:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey , I purchased a house 5 years ago in Drogheda from a New build, so it is only 5 years old, however i now have a leak in the roof , which has started to make its way into the bedroom ceiling :(. so i have 2 questions:
    1) would the Builder be Liable??
    2) Would anyone be able to recomend a builder / roofer in drogheda area that would fix this for me at a reasonable price.?? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If its only 5 years old, it should still be covered by Homebond (which lasts 10 years)?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Martin72 wrote: »
    Hey , I purchased a house 5 years ago in Drogheda from a New build, so it is only 5 years old, however i now have a leak in the roof , which has started to make its way into the bedroom ceiling :(. so i have 2 questions:
    1) would the Builder be Liable??
    2) Would anyone be able to recomend a builder / roofer in drogheda area that would fix this for me at a reasonable price.?? :confused:

Did you have a building survey done before buying the house?
    Do you have or can you get a copy of the certificates from the engineer for the build?
    Have you located the cause of the leak?

Depending on your answers its hard to say, although after only 5 years the builder and person who certified the roof may be liable, but I'm not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Unless it was structural then I'm afraid no builder would go back and even then proving it is very difficult. A couple of questions:
    • have you noticed any tiles/slates off
    • have you had a new aerial or satellite dish installed - i've seen times where the tiles are lifted to keep the lead down
    • is the alleged leak near any guttering - if so have you checked that your guttering is clear
    • have you checked within your roofspace for any pipework that may be damaged
    If the leak can be seen from within the attic this will give you a good idea of the location on the roof of where to look at from the outside. In any case unless you are competent enough get a proper roofer to look at it. No point in making your leak worse by just waiting to see if someone else will do it. Any good roofer will do it and by the looks of it it must be something small given the amount of rain we had over the summer for your leak to take place only now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Martin72

Thanks for the advise,
    I have found the source of the leak and it has now been sorted out.
    There was a tiny little tear in the felt . the builder was very helpfull and gave me contact information for the guys that do roofs for him now and they looked after it.

Thanks again :D

Advertisement