Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭gaoife

I have trouble finding comparasions with the book too, there seems to be a big differences between what is popular in the uk and ireland, it's a bit annoying paying for the book and 80% of the places aren't even in ireland.

Try www.ukladyluck she might have values for the dishes you ate

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Freckles..!

Had my first weigh-in this morning!

Down 3.5 pounds! :D I'm delighted seen as I didn't get to do much exercise over the week! I'm all ready for it this week though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Congratulations that's a brilliant loss! It's really motivating to see what some small (or big!) changes in your diet can mean for your weight. Believe me, if you combine your healthier eating habits with some exercise the results will keep coming!

Well done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

hey there boardies :)

it's been a long time since i lasted posted to the thread & sorry to say i've gained 14lbs since then! but i'm getting back on track as & from now!

how has everyone been how are all your journeys going? are any of the regular posters still here?

would love to hear all about your successes & what's been working for you?

i've updated my tracker below so it's 21.5lbs left to goal for me!

onwards & downwards as we used to say xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ali85

I had quite a bad weekend.. I have been off the drink for a good few weeks now but it was my boyfriend's birthday so of course we headed into town on Saturday night for a meal... Had quesadillas for starters (although I only ate one) and a burger for mains (I just ate the burger no bun or chips) no desserts but quite a lot of alcohol... vodkas... but with diet 7up... I had a really long walk yesterday about an hour and a half and I plan to go for a long walk again this evening (about an hour) but I really really feel like i fecked up this week! :( any tips on what I can eat for the rest of the week to regain some of my points! so annoyed with myself! I had a plan for the restaurant, printed the menu and all...but of course I threw caution to the wind....

• Advertisement

Hey
    Dont worry you were still good, no bun no chips and only half a starter. How many points are you on?
    I would just eat loads of veg and salad with turkey or fish for the next few days, i made a yummy fish and veg dinner last night for 1 point and i was so full i had to leave some.
    Then just drink tons and tons of water and you'll be laughing

i'm on 20 a day... for the next few weeks then down to 19 hopefully!!! just really worried because I did go a bit mad considering it was himself's birthday... feck him in anyway! hahah!!! WI Thurs!!! :confused: Thanks for the lift gaoife! It's much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Wednesdays Girl

Don't worry about a disastrous week! I've had a pretty awful one too despite my best intentions.. Road to hell and all that! I've been moving house for the last while which means I've been disorganised in general and it really has all piled up this week. Nobody to blame but myself and I know that. I suppose I'll just go tomorrow night, suck it up and try again next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to join Weight Watchers over the next week but I have a bit of a problem. I work shift hours that change every week, so I probably won't be able to make meetings every week. Would this be a problem? Can you go to different meetings or are you expected to go to the same meeting at the same time every week?

Also, Has anyone tried Weight Watchers at home? What is it like?

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 therambling

Hey guys i know this is a bit of a strange question! but how much is the most any one has ever put on in just one week? Ive been doing weight watchers bout 8 weeks now and am down just over 20lbs and this week was my first bad week in which I had 5 days of eating whatever i wanted! know its WI on thurs and I don't know whether to just go and face the music or hold off and be good til next week to claw it back :) appreciate any stories :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Well, just joined WW and had my first weigh in this evening. Twelve stone four pounds. This time next week, I'm hoping to be down to twelve!

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to join Weight Watchers over the next week but I have a bit of a problem. I work shift hours that change every week, so I probably won't be able to make meetings every week. Would this be a problem? Can you go to different meetings or are you expected to go to the same meeting at the same time every week?

Also, Has anyone tried Weight Watchers at home? What is it like?

Thanks guys!

Swapping around classes has never seemed like a problem. If you look you might find convenient classes because the times vary depending on the part of the country that you're in. If you miss Weigh In, you have to pay extra for it though so it is a problem, I suppose.

Hey guys i know this is a bit of a strange question! but how much is the most any one has ever put on in just one week? Ive been doing weight watchers bout 8 weeks now and am down just over 20lbs and this week was my first bad week in which I had 5 days of eating whatever i wanted! know its WI on thurs and I don't know whether to just go and face the music or hold off and be good til next week to claw it back :) appreciate any stories :)

20lbs in 8 weeks - that's brilliant going, well done!

On the what's the most I've ever gained in a week...well prepare yourself coz I missed one class, so it was two weeks since I'd been and I gained...10.5lbs ha ha ha!

Not something to laugh about I suppose! ... but I did have an excuse - I'd been to Florida on hols ;) Seriously, I was genuinely sickened when I saw that amount and SO downbeat. But I'll tell you one thing, it gave me a right kick up the a**e! I worked so hard the following week, didn't drink, saved a couple of points every day and hit the gym like a maniac and the following week I lost 9lbs!

So my advice would be go to your meeting, because weeks like this will often creep in. I've been doing ww for over 2 years and I've been in that situation so often, and the couple of times I didn't go to the meeting man did I regret it after. The meeting is so full of motivation, the weeks they're most beneficial are the weeks when you've gained. So even if you have gained this week, going to your meeting might give you the spur on to put in a really good effort this week. And judging by how well you've been doing, you know what you need to do do get back on track!!

Best of luck with it :)

10.5 i would have cried n crawled under a stone well doine for going back that musy have taken some willpower :eek:

Well im just back from weight in and i gained a half, all my falut for being a greedy mess at the weekend, so now im tucking into a 2pt lunch of yummy chicken salad and starting fresh for the week.

Good luck everyone :D

HALF a pound gain, hopefully that feels like nothing now ;) Sounds like a nice lunch - just made a yummy salad of loads of spinich and rocket leaves, cherry tomatoes, spring onions, cucumber and feta cheese with balsamic dressing - only 2pts too!

Yeah when I saw 10.5 it was a bit scary but do ya know what I just had a bit of a laugh with the leader. Like what could I do then!? So I just really planned on getting rid of as much as possible the week after and it worked out pretty well! But deffo don't want to be repeating that!! ;)

yep your right the half pund is forgotten already ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Well, I'm peed off... I went up 2lb. I was not great, but not terrible food wise, skipped breakfast a couple of days and had an early, large lunch. I started the couch to 2k programme this week so did plenty of exercise, drank lots of water, really hoped I'd go down. But no, up 2lb. Let me put this in perspective - I have gone up 3 times since November before this. Once, half a pound, at christmas, once, 3lbs, while I was in America and ate like it was going out of fashion, and once, 1lb, that I couldn't really explain. It's such a big gain.. I feel like the fugitive, punished for a crime I did not commit! :eek:

Down a pound and a half which was a surprise. I'm getting the impression that I think I'm doing worst than I am every time!

@ Quackles - If you've been doing a lot of exercise, it can be really easy to build up muscle. Muscle is much heavier than fat, which is why BMI is a guideline and not the best way to calculate how well your weight loss is going. I went up one week where I'd been really good. I'd been to the gym three times and done weights as well as running. You're the best judge of your own body, so do you feel like you've gone up/you've gained weight? Or do you feel more toned? Although they say the scales don't lie, sometimes they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

@ Quackles - If you've been doing a lot of exercise, it can be really easy to build up muscle. Muscle is much heavier than fat, which is why BMI is a guideline and not the best way to calculate how well your weight loss is going. I went up one week where I'd been really good. I'd been to the gym three times and done weights as well as running. You're the best judge of your own body, so do you feel like you've gone up/you've gained weight? Or do you feel more toned? Although they say the scales don't lie, sometimes they do!

What happens is that when you do a lot more exercise one week - your body has gone into shock as it may not be used to it and thus your muscles will hold onto water for a few days to aid in recovery.

Muscle is not easy to build up even if you are doing a hell of a lot of exercise. It takes a long time to build up muscle a and even longer for women as women lack the testosterone to aid in the process.

Also muscle is not heavier than fat but it is denser than fat i.e 1lb of muscle takes up less space than 1lb of fat but 1lb of muscle still actually weighs the same as 1lb of fat.

Quackles - it is most likely water retention seeing as you exercised more. A measuring tape taking weekly measurements is a better use in weight loss also as the times you have a gain you can go home and measure yourself to see if your measurements have actually gained from the week before.

Remember - the scale measures everything - water, bone, fat, food, muscle. A daily fluctuation of half a stone is not uncommon.

Well done on the losses so far.

And remember that weight loss is NOT linear! A great week one week doesnt always translate into a loss the next. Sometimes it can take your body a while to catch up with you when you rev up your efforts which is why it is important to keep ploughing away.

I'm definitely not confident... but part of me isn't worried about putting up some weight this week... I was so bad the early part of this week that I have been playing catch up most of the rest of it... but if i put up I know it will give me a right good kick up the backside for next week to get me back on track!

Well done on the WI's folks!

Roll on tonight!

• Advertisement

ali85 wrote: »
    I'm definitely not confident... but part of me isn't worried about putting up some weight this week... I was so bad the early part of this week that I have been playing catch up most of the rest of it... but if i put up I know it will give me a right good kick up the backside for next week to get me back on track!

Well done on the WI's folks!

Roll on tonight!

Good luck!

@ULStudent - I wasn't saying that 1lb of muscle wouldn't weigh the same as 1lb of fat, the clue is in the weight and them being identical! :) Two people who are exactly the same size could have vastly different weights owing to the amount of muscle mass one has. It's just a phrase.

As for the rest of it - cool. I didn't know that. Our Leader always just said we were building up muscle mass so I believed her. Thanks for the science.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

ah cool - wasnt sure cos lots of people believe it to be true or get mixed up on the matter so i just said id slap it out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Started weightwatchers last week, had my first weigh in there this morning. I lost 6lbs :D

Well done akamossy!!! That is a brilliant weight loss!!! :D

Onward and Downward!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Hi,

I went out to lunch today and used too many points :p now I'm trying to think of something low in points for dinner. I need inspiration :confused: , any ideas out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Omelette with plenty of eggs whites. leave in one or two yolks for flavor. Pile on the salad with a nice dressing, and drink LOADS & LOADS of water. Maybe some 0 point soup if you have the ingredients hanging around.

I had my ww this morning. up half pound, BUT....drum roll please....I'm down a size in clothes! I've started resistance and weight training to tone up.

I wanna get back horse riding next spring, so I don't mind putting on healthy, strong lean sexy muscle!

27 points daily.

2 days a week i do 60 mins on treadmill walking,
    3 days a week I do 45 mins resistance training,
    2 days totally free of exercise

Joined 18th November 2009,

To date I've lost 2 stone, 7lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Lost 4.5 pound this week :)

Delighted

Off to Tuscany on Sat for a week though so I think a bit of that is likely to revisit!

1 pound left to ww goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I have a question. For a lot of foods, when I look up the points value in the food list booklet, it gives one number, but when I work out the value from the label on the food using the points finder, I get a different number. Which one should I use? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Are the portion sizes and amounts the same?
    Can't think why they would be different. Although some products vary slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alpha2010

4 pound this week so far 32 pounds in 10 weeks woo :)

not one week i haven't lost, but i bet ill be gutted when it does happen because it has to happen sooner or later but sure i shall enjoy it while i can

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement