Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Wednesdays Girl

fendigal wrote: »
    Thanks wednesdaysgal..good to know im not the only one! i had a fall a couple months back and i had to stop exercising for a while and im very lazy to get back to it now..have started this week using the wii fit and im gonna start walking again now. I think i need to start tracking like a demon and be a lot stricter on myself. I dont want old habits creeping back in just when i had kicked them.
    Thanks for the reply..i hate plateau's :(

You're definitely not on your own. I know I'm really frustrated at the moment because the world seems to regularly conspire against me and throw stuff up that makes it hard to behave myself! What do you reckon is your greatest vice? I think mine is savoury stuff; I'm a demon for crisps, takeaways and the like and that's the thing that I'm finding the hardest to overcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

I'm the same girls!!

Been trying to get my 5th stone in ww now for what seems like a lifetime!! I just keep going to class and no matter how much I take a step forward and two steps back I am sticking with this!

I think once you just persevere it will all fall into place again!!

The world always conspires against me and my weightloss :p

Jwacqui wrote: »
    I'm the same girls!!

Been trying to get my 5th stone in ww now for what seems like a lifetime!! I just keep going to class and no matter how much I take a step forward and two steps back I am sticking with this!

5 is amazing! I'm still trying to get to 2.. I'm still trying to get to 1.5!! It feels like it's taking forever. I also feel like if I did it properly then I'd be doing so much better so I know it's my own fault it's taking so long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fatewatchers

Hi folks,

Sorry I've not updated in so long, been mad busy.

Weighed in last night - I lost 4.5lbs so I've 78.5lbs (5 st 8.5lbs) lost so far in total. Feel like all I do is work and sleep at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Feel like all I do is work and sleep at the moment!

And loose masses of weight, I havn't been on here for ages but my got that is a serious loss since January - amazing!!!! Congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fatewatchers

Pembily wrote: »
    And loose masses of weight, I havn't been on here for ages but my got that is a serious loss since January - amazing!!!! Congrats!

Thanks Pembily, you're doing so well too!! Under a stone til goal, you lucky thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Hey peoples. I'm totally new at this weightwatchers thing, but it's my last resort so I have to try!!!

Okay, well firstly, I am a girl (regardless of the username!!). I'm about 5 ft 6 and weight 10 stone 2lb. I'm trying to lose half a stone - a stone would be great too, but I'm starting small!!I'm not working at the moment (goddamn recession!) so I'm at home trying to keep myself occupied....which is desperately bad for my eating habits. I have the Weightwatchers at home kit, and it looks okay but I've a few problems.

Basically, the weight is just not shifting. I know they always say that the last half stone is hardest,and that's where I am. I am a very healthy eater anyway, and my dinners are very healthy, but I'm always so hungry!! Really. I've calculated I should be eating about 19points worth of food a day, and that's fine, but I'm starving! Surely that can't be right??

I'm exercising like there's no tomorrow - approx 80 quick lengths of a 25m pool a week, plus a min of 10mins on an excercise bike, 10 mins on cross trainer, and 20 mins on treadmill, about 5 mins on a rower in the gym...all at least 3 times a week. I'm taking up tag rugby twice a week......and nothing. I'm fairly toned, but no lighter on the scales!

Nothing!! I'm so frustrated.Has anyone got ANY suggestions?? Or even anything to make me feel better? I know I don't have lots of weight to lose, but as all women know...I'm really hung up on that last half a stone, and would feel much better about myself if I could shift it.

Sorry for the rambling post, but what do I do??

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

up 1lb on thurs nite!:eek:well done to all the losers and welcome to the newbies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOJOC123

Hi Guys

Havent been on for a while - went to WI on thurs and up .5lb couldnt believe it as I had a birthday part for my bf on monday so taught I was going to be up much more.

I wasnt goin to go to my WI cos I taught it was going to be so bad but i went and was pleasently suprised.

Was away for the weekend so really need to pull it back between now and thursday.

Any suggestions???

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭gaoife

dan_d wrote: »
    Hey peoples. I'm totally new at this weightwatchers thing, but it's my last resort so I have to try!!!

Okay, well firstly, I am a girl (regardless of the username!!). I'm about 5 ft 6 and weight 10 stone 2lb. I'm trying to lose half a stone - a stone would be great too, but I'm starting small!!I'm not working at the moment (goddamn recession!) so I'm at home trying to keep myself occupied....which is desperately bad for my eating habits. I have the Weightwatchers at home kit, and it looks okay but I've a few problems.

Basically, the weight is just not shifting. I know they always say that the last half stone is hardest,and that's where I am. I am a very healthy eater anyway, and my dinners are very healthy, but I'm always so hungry!! Really. I've calculated I should be eating about 19points worth of food a day, and that's fine, but I'm starving! Surely that can't be right??

I'm exercising like there's no tomorrow - approx 80 quick lengths of a 25m pool a week, plus a min of 10mins on an excercise bike, 10 mins on cross trainer, and 20 mins on treadmill, about 5 mins on a rower in the gym...all at least 3 times a week. I'm taking up tag rugby twice a week......and nothing. I'm fairly toned, but no lighter on the scales!

Nothing!! I'm so frustrated.Has anyone got ANY suggestions?? Or even anything to make me feel better? I know I don't have lots of weight to lose, but as all women know...I'm really hung up on that last half a stone, and would feel much better about myself if I could shift it.

Sorry for the rambling post, but what do I do??

Hi dan d

If your hungry then just up the vegies,
    maybe start a food dairy and then people can give advice on how to fill up while still eating points. I eat branflakes for breckie cus it fills me up till lunch, then salad with lots of vegies n ryvita for lunch then more vegies and rice/pasta or pots for dinner with a protein. The points are definately workable you just need to be smart on where you spend then. There are a few weight watchers diary's in the food diarys section that can be really inspiring and give you tons of great ideas :). Good luck with the program you'll have that 1/2 stone gone in no time. (also be carefull that your not eating too little, if your on 19 a day then you shouldn't eat under 15pts. if you exercise for an hour high intensity then thats around 5 bonus points so on that day you've had 19-5 = 14 which is one point too little)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fendigal

You're definitely not on your own. I know I'm really frustrated at the moment because the world seems to regularly conspire against me and throw stuff up that makes it hard to behave myself! What do you reckon is your greatest vice? I think mine is savoury stuff; I'm a demon for crisps, takeaways and the like and that's the thing that I'm finding the hardest to overcome!

Oh im def the same..savoury all the way crisps and take aways im a demon for chips! recently bought myself a tefal actifry so im hoping that'll make dinners a bit lighter. Yeah i find there's always something on that makes the diet go out the window..but iv less than a month til hols now and i want to b feeling my best so i have to make a huge effort from now til then. Starting back walking today and have the healthy lunch in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fendigal

Jwacqui wrote: »
    I'm the same girls!!

Jwacqui..you have done so well so far..fair play to you for never giving up! Your the kinda person that will def get to goal. Its very frustrating though..i feel like iv been tryin to shift this last stone or so for years now..its always up and down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

Hi Guys, long time :-) Trying again but don't have WW book with me today. Was wondering if anyone does could they calculate my allowance. Age is 28, weight 10st, height 5,4, activity sitting all day, sex female. Can't remember if there is anything else I need but let me know. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭gaoife

Hi Pink chick

Welcome back :) your allowance is 19

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

Thanks, that's one more than I thought it was. Used 8 so far today on breakfast and lunch so doing ok so far. Always very hungry first few days of doing it as need to retrain myself to eat less food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alpha2010

I'm getting quite lazy since being on my summer holidays. This is now my typical exercise for the week

twice a week I jog for about 30 mins each time. I cant jog for no longer than 10mins, I take a break and just walk and then start again.

I make sure I walk everywhere instead of getting the bus but say if I have to go to the shopping centre for some food, it will take me 50 mins overall walking, I consider that my daily exercise even though I was just normal walking. I do that about 3 times a week but I know I should be doing more. How much more should I do and what should I do because I just need someone to tell me its not enough cause I'm getting sooo lazy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

hi everybody, I'm down 1lb this week! 9st13 so now I only have 18 points, argh! and yesterday i got a big bar of chocolate from a friend in the post, its going into my treat box!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭corasam

Hi,

i'm looking for v low fat fromage frias thats used in the Quick start WW receipes, but can't find it, checked my local supermarket supervalu and dunnes but its not in the fridge, was mostly looking beside the creme friache and creams, checked by the yogurts too, lots of petit flous which are frommage frias but nothing low fat. Anyone use it? or have suggestion for an alternative? want to make a pasta sauce other than tomato.

also, do ye recommend the WW cookbooks?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

corasam wrote: »
    Hi,

i'm looking for v low fat fromage frias thats used in the Quick start WW receipes, but can't find it, checked my local supermarket supervalu and dunnes but its not in the fridge, was mostly looking beside the creme friache and creams, checked by the yogurts too, lots of petit flous which are frommage frias but nothing low fat. Anyone use it? or have suggestion for an alternative? want to make a pasta sauce other than tomato.

also, do ye recommend the WW cookbooks?

thanks!
    Hi Corasam,
    Light Philadelphia is great (the one in the tub) just mix a couple of table spoons into the pasta. The garlic and chive one is really nice, even chop up some turkey rashers!
    I wouldnt bother buying the WW cook books, there are loads of WW recipies on WW online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Hi there, Well I've finally done it. I've gone and joined WW as of this Monday! I am truly delighted with myself because I have had no interest in losing weight (or myself :()for such a long time. And the fact that I went down to the class on monday, paid the fee and stayed there, is a huge plus for me!

I daren't say what weight I am at the moment, because I despaired when I got on the scales. So when the weight starts coming off, then I'll tell all:D My child eats like a king - the best of fruit/veg and meat and is a great eater. I know my 'eating' issues' have been mainly psychological (I'm tackling that too) as Ive been so focussed on ensuring that he eats well, that I've forgotten completely about myself somewhere along the way.....

Anyhow, my previous diet (for the past few years) went something like this:

Breakfast none
    11am Coffee (latte) and muffin/Danish
    Lunch Hot chicken wrap with peppers etc/mayonaise, crisps, bottle water
    Dinner None
    anytime after 9pm.....Whatever was in my press, rinsed down with a couple of glasses of wine (4 evenings out of 7)...

Needless to say, my moods have been crap because I had been getting little or no nutrition from the above (embarrassing) 'diet'

Yesterday I had (and I'm very proud of myself and wasn't even the teenchiest bit hungry);

Breakfast Porridge with Skimed milk and a few blueberries/glass oj
    Lunch Tuna salad sandwich on brown bread/1 litre water/apple banana and orange
    Dinner Vegetarian stirfry with 30g brown rice (used spray oil and five spice for seasoning), glass skimmed milk

And that was it! The stirfry was huge, millions of veg and I was thoroughly satisfied until breakfast this morning.

My biggest problem is excercise - or lack of. I walk for about 20 minutes in the morning/evening (get the bus) but apart from that, I do very little. I've no interest in gyms etc and have a young child.
    So any tips/encouragement etc for someone who is already feeling better in herself for even trying to do this, would be really, really appreciated ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

I've seen ww fromage frais on the tesco website. So in theory they do stock it. But you'd have to go to one the Big flagship stores. smaller tescos dont stock alot of the ww products on the website.

i agree....dont waste your time with cookbooks, alot of recipes call for hard to find ingedients, and are usually recipes for 4 - 6 ppl

thanks for the replies. another question i meant to ask: how do ye find the cooking spray? I'm struggling with it when i use it for frying everything starts sticking to the pan, think i've ruined one of my nice pots. is it just me? can't remember the brand but its one of those less than 1 cal per spray olive oil sprays. have started just using olive oil, but would be great to save the points if there was an decent alternative

Fittle wrote: »
    Hi there, Well I've finally done it. I've gone and joined WW as of this Monday! I am truly delighted with myself because I have had no interest in losing weight (or myself :()for such a long time. And the fact that I went down to the class on monday, paid the fee and stayed there, is a huge plus for me!

I daren't say what weight I am at the moment, because I despaired when I got on the scales. So when the weight starts coming off, then I'll tell all:D My child eats like a king - the best of fruit/veg and meat and is a great eater. I know my 'eating' issues' have been mainly psychological (I'm tackling that too) as Ive been so focussed on ensuring that he eats well, that I've forgotten completely about myself somewhere along the way.....

Anyhow, my previous diet (for the past few years) went something like this:

Breakfast none
    11am Coffee (latte) and muffin/Danish
    Lunch Hot chicken wrap with peppers etc/mayonaise, crisps, bottle water
    Dinner None
    anytime after 9pm.....Whatever was in my press, rinsed down with a couple of glasses of wine (4 evenings out of 7)...

Needless to say, my moods have been crap because I had been getting little or no nutrition from the above (embarrassing) 'diet'

Yesterday I had (and I'm very proud of myself and wasn't even the teenchiest bit hungry);

Breakfast Porridge with Skimed milk and a few blueberries/glass oj
    Lunch Tuna salad sandwich on brown bread/1 litre water/apple banana and orange
    Dinner Vegetarian stirfry with 30g brown rice (used spray oil and five spice for seasoning), glass skimmed milk

And that was it! The stirfry was huge, millions of veg and I was thoroughly satisfied until breakfast this morning.

My biggest problem is excercise - or lack of. I walk for about 20 minutes in the morning/evening (get the bus) but apart from that, I do very little. I've no interest in gyms etc and have a young child.
    So any tips/encouragement etc for someone who is already feeling better in herself for even trying to do this, would be really, really appreciated ;)

Hey there,

Well done you! Joining up and really wanting to do it is Step 1. I'm not the queen of exercise by a long shot, I used to play team sports when I was a bit younger but haven't done as much lately. But the way I see it, the whole exercise thing is easy! As far as I'm concerned exercise is anything that has you moving (and maybe sweating). It doesn't have to be killing yourself in a gym. It can be gardening, housework, walking up and down the stairs a couple of times, sex, reorganising a room in your house, spring cleaning, going walking, bringing your little fella to the park and running around with him a bit, chasing him around your house or garden a bit even. If you're moving, breathing a bit heavier, a bit more red in the face and sweating a bit, then I count it as exercise!

I know other people may not share my view on the whole exercise thing, but it works for me and I think a lot of it is about how you view it.

Anyway, good luck with it and feel free to PM if you ever want a chat.

it is completely worth the investment cos they last FOREVER! Get your self a TEFEL non stick pan. I got one last week and i cant believe i was wasting so much time and points on oil. But if you dont want to go down the line of forking out for a non stick. try just frying in water. I do mince for pasta in just a bit of water and its own juice. It was actually kinda scary, when i started doing chicken breasts in a tiny bit of water in frying pan....the amount for soft gooey runny jelly like FAT that came off a lean chicken breast.

or....get one of those salad spray bottles, a glass one from a cookery shop, one part EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL to 3 parts water. all the oils are same point valu, but extra virgin is the healthiest of the non healthy oils if you catch my drift.

When i do want that "fried taste! i pour out the oil into the cap of the oil bottle, and use a pastry brush and just brush the base and sides of the pan. usually only use about 1/2 the cap.

If you see any george forman grills on offer, grab one. another way of squeezing the fat outa foods, i was nearly sick the other night seeing the stuff running out of some foods. but felt great later eating it knowing all that nasty stuff wasn't going into me.

thanks Lady Lainy, I'll give the water a go for mince. I have a non stick frying pan now that u mention it, but I usually use the wok for stir frys or or a le cruese pot for soups etc which tend to start by sweating onions etc and frying the veg, will see if the frying pan works better. thanks for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Thanks wednesdays girl!

I just did a walk around the block on my lunchbreak today - was reading a few of the threads on here, and as they say, it's the little things that work. I haven't even tried to lose weight in so long, because to me, it was like a mountain I had to climb. So rather than even attempt to climb that mountain, I'd have a bigmac! This time, I'm taking babysteps;)
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thanks wednesdays girl!

I just did a walk around the block on my lunchbreak today - was reading a few of the threads on here, and as they say, it's the little things that work. I haven't even tried to lose weight in so long, because to me, it was like a mountain I had to climb. So rather than even attempt to climb that mountain, I'd have a bigmac! This time, I'm taking babysteps;)
    Thanks again

Great attitude. If you continue thinking like this you'll be a new woman in a few weeks. Best of luck!

Has anyone tried the ww online? or done the whole ww thing at home them selves? I think i've learned all I can from the meetings. I've been working my ass off! literly....my pants dont fit anymore, falling off me. Been attending meetings for 9 months now.

I'm out of work at the moment and heading back to college in few weeks. I still get up early, cos I'm just a weird sleeper. My thursday weight in is at like 10.30 in the morning...some weeks i'm already up and awake (and STARVING) for 4 hours by the time the weight in comes. I freak out so much that i stop eating and drinking water at like 6pm wednesday nights. cos i'm so terrified of the scales. That fasting is to put it bluntly....SCEWING ME UP! 18 hours!

9 months into my ww journey, lil tricks and gimmics are going to do more damage than good. i end up going off the walls on Thursdays, no matter how good my intentions are, primal hungery piggy old me comes out and takes over.

I'm thinking of using ww online, on the uk site, i'll make up a dummy uk address to register if needs be. Going to "weight in" on my hi tech analyzer first thing every wednesday mornings with my mum looking over my shoulder. so i'm still making self be accountable to someone and a scales onces a week. but it means then on the wednesday i can get on with my day and eat right and more importantly stay within my points and keep some self control.

I'm 23, soon to be college student again. When i started ww, I gave up clubbing and nights out drinking with friends, I gave up going for coffee and mochas and shopping trips with the girls cos i was afraid of all the temptation of fast food in the city, I dread and try to avoid any family gathers that involve meals, which i feel AWFUL about, cos they would be like amazing 12 course home made spanish meals, and i dont show up to them, family members think i'm being "odd with them".

I'm doing cardio and resistance training and i'm losing serious inches all over, getting lots of compliments, I use my points in healthy ways. lots of whole grain, filler foods, lots of healthy lean protein, i dont touch red meat, its chicken and turkey all the way.

I've lost 36lbs...but two months ago it stopped going down. i'm losing fat, putting on healthy muscle, but its not showing on the ww scales in the meetings. I need to lose actual weight! I want to get back horse riding, my future career and lively hood is going to be around horses and animals.

How the hell can i be taken seriously in the horse industry if im too fat to ride a horse! I had a serious melt down earlier at the gym after my last post on here. when the treadmill flung me off the back,

all i could freaking thing was "why the hell am i doing this to my self when i'm not getting any results". Paying 10 euro a week in meetings only to be told all the right hard work i'm doing isnt good enough. I was a serious hysterical mess. thank god its a private gym in a neighbors house so no one saw me.

With going back to college in a few weeks, I'll have to start doing ww on my own, cos meetings around me just dont tie in with a college schedule, i'd never manage evening classes, cos i'd be freaking out all that day about eating and drinking anything.

does anyone have any insight or guidance/tips for doing it without meetings.

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the ww online? or done the whole ww thing at home them selves? I think i've learned all I can from the meetings. I've been working my ass off! literly....my pants dont fit anymore, falling off me. Been attending meetings for 9 months now.

I'm out of work at the moment and heading back to college in few weeks. I still get up early, cos I'm just a weird sleeper. My thursday weight in is at like 10.30 in the morning...some weeks i'm already up and awake (and STARVING) for 4 hours by the time the weight in comes. I freak out so much that i stop eating and drinking water at like 6pm wednesday nights. cos i'm so terrified of the scales. That fasting is to put it bluntly....SCEWING ME UP! 18 hours!

9 months into my ww journey, lil tricks and gimmics are going to do more damage than good. i end up going off the walls on Thursdays, no matter how good my intentions are, primal hungery piggy old me comes out and takes over.

I'm thinking of using ww online, on the uk site, i'll make up a dummy uk address to register if needs be. Going to "weight in" on my hi tech analyzer first thing every wednesday mornings with my mum looking over my shoulder. so i'm still making self be accountable to someone and a scales onces a week. but it means then on the wednesday i can get on with my day and eat right and more importantly stay within my points and keep some self control.

I'm 23, soon to be college student again. When i started ww, I gave up clubbing and nights out drinking with friends, I gave up going for coffee and mochas and shopping trips with the girls cos i was afraid of all the temptation of fast food in the city, I dread and try to avoid any family gathers that involve meals, which i feel AWFUL about, cos they would be like amazing 12 course home made spanish meals, and i dont show up to them, family members think i'm being "odd with them".

I'm doing cardio and resistance training and i'm losing serious inches all over, getting lots of compliments, I use my points in healthy ways. lots of whole grain, filler foods, lots of healthy lean protein, i dont touch red meat, its chicken and turkey all the way.

I've lost 36lbs...but two months ago it stopped going down. i'm losing fat, putting on healthy muscle, but its not showing on the ww scales in the meetings. I need to lose actual weight! I want to get back horse riding, my future career and lively hood is going to be around horses and animals.

How the hell can i be taken seriously in the horse industry if im too fat to ride a horse! I had a serious melt down earlier at the gym after my last post on here. when the treadmill flung me off the back,

all i could freaking thing was "why the hell am i doing this to my self when i'm not getting any results". Paying 10 euro a week in meetings only to be told all the right hard work i'm doing isnt good enough. I was a serious hysterical mess. thank god its a private gym in a neighbors house so no one saw me.

With going back to college in a few weeks, I'll have to start doing ww on my own, cos meetings around me just dont tie in with a college schedule, i'd never manage evening classes, cos i'd be freaking out all that day about eating and drinking anything.

does anyone have any insight or guidance/tips for doing it without meetings.

I'm trying to give it a go on my own too. Yesterday a friend and I decided to go it alone. We've both decided to leave but have weekly "meetings" ourselves where we'll weigh in, look through our trackers, have a chat about where we went wrong and right, talk about being happy or sad with how we've done and have a catch up too. Our first one is tonight. My big support at WW was my friends (because my leader wasn't that good), so I'm hoping that won't change now that we're trying it alone. I also know that if it doesn't work out, then I'll be able to rejoin WW and do it all there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Thanks wednesdays girl!

Thanks again

Hey Fittle,

It sounds like you have made an amazing change. Im sure you will do amazing and feel amazing and never look back. Some of the people on here have lost amazing ammounts and I think its the case of even the biggest mountain can be climbed step by step. Sometimes a pound or a half pound loss can feel like nothing, but its not long before they add up! Just keep coming back for support- you will have bad days no doubt, but theres great support to be had on here!

Good luck!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement