Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 AmeliaPond

Was down a pound tonight so I'm happy about that :) To be honest I wouldn't have been surprised if I'd stayed the same the way I packed away the food over the weekend (we were away and driving a lot) but I worked hard from Monday and I guess it worked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DublinMember

rachums wrote: »
    lost 3 pounds this week...was expecting more cause i ate better and did more exercise than last week and i lost four pounds then! So kinda disappointed but down 7pounds altogether in two weeks so i guess i can be happy!

Wow that's brill!! I busted a gut and still only lost 1lb (6lbs in 3 weeks) .. so you're doing awesome, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rachums

awh thanks for the encouragement! helps alot to stay on track :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alpha2010

down 3 pound, so happy, its been ages since I lost more than one pound. Went to see Dara O' Briain and had a few drinks as a treat but back to being good tomorrow :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Wednesdays Girl

For me what works is to have various options, so whatever I feel like, there is something to match my mood .. walking/running/gym classes/home yoga or aerobics workouts/mini trampoline.

So find what you like to do, and give yourself options to choose from .. maybe walking alone bores you, so get music/walk with a friend. Maybe try different things (salsa, martial arts, tag rugby, aerobics, yoga, jogging, tennis etc etc). And ideally pick something that is convenient to your work or home.

Arranging to meet friends to exercise is a great motivator, as you will have it in your diary, and you won't want to let them down (plus it makes it more fun).

As for the tiredness, two key things for me... make sure you are getting to bed early enough to have a good night's sleep, and make sure you are eating something mid/late afternoon so that you have energy to exercise after work BEFORE you make dinner and do chores. If I go from lunch without eating, I won't have the energy to exercise after work. And if I get home and make dinner without exercising .. then forget it ... I won't be budging for the rest of the night.

But once you have exercised, you may find you're less hungry but have more energy so you'll eat less at dinner, but actually not only do the chores you had planned, but you'll end up doing more than you had planned.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a mil for that! I never thought about a snack picking my energy up until yesterday. I was wrecked at work and I still had an hour + to go, so I had a glass of Berocca, which I've never done before. I had so much more energy for the evening. So maybe the key is to have something like that the odd time as a pick me up. I was also thinking that if I brought my gear into work with me, then I'd have no excuse not to go straight to the gym/aerobics etc. I'm starting trampolining next week so hopefully that will be something fun and good!

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil for that! I never thought about a snack picking my energy up until yesterday. I was wrecked at work and I still had an hour + to go, so I had a glass of Berocca, which I've never done before. I had so much more energy for the evening. So maybe the key is to have something like that the odd time as a pick me up. I was also thinking that if I brought my gear into work with me, then I'd have no excuse not to go straight to the gym/aerobics etc. I'm starting trampolining next week so hopefully that will be something fun and good!

Berroca .. great idea ! I used to run a lot (2 hours at a time), and always had a Rubex tablet with SpaTone (natural iron supplement) before I went for a run .. maybe partly psychological, but it always gave me a kick!

But yes, definitely have a snack in the hours before exercising .. whatever works for you. I sometimes have half a banana before and half after. Or else an apple (but have to eat that at least 2 hours before so that I don't get indigestion).

And big yay for the trampoline. I had a mini trampoline, and loved putting the music on and jumping/dancing for half an hour .. fun way to burn lots of calories!

And also going straight from work is another brill idea ... sounds like you're turning the exercise around .. well done! It's all in the planning !

alpha2010 wrote: »
    down 3 pound, so happy, its been ages since I lost more than one pound. Went to see Dara O' Briain and had a few drinks as a treat but back to being good tomorrow :P

Well done.. that's a big amount to lose in week .. you must have worked really hard. And Dara O'Briain, hilarious!

Well done.. that's a big amount to lose in week .. you must have worked really hard. And Dara O'Briain, hilarious!

yeah I was shocked because im so close to my target goal of 10 stone, so I'm finding it hard to lose more than 1 pound... now I only got 7 pound more woo

The reason why I lost so much is because my bf was broke last week and couldn't indulge in chipers and pizza, and I couldnt take those sneaky bites.. so I just kept within my points and just jogged 30 mins 5 times that week... I actually couldn't go back walking, I feel like I dont get tired when I power walk so jogging helps a lot

I rememeber I could only jog for 5 mins stop and then go again.. now I just do the 30 mins without no break.. I do feel great after my jog.

and Dara was amazing, seriously what a legend :P

emm actually I'm going to go off topic here in a way,

I have always been a big girl, don't ever remember being skinny and this is the first time ever, that I can fit into some size 10 but mainly 12, and I have never felt sooo good but I always knew my bf liked curvy girls, its just his thing and I was around 12 stone maybe more when we met and then during the relationship I went to 14, my biggest ever.. and he would always compliment all the time because he liked my size but since I have lost weight he doesn't seem to like the way I look... Like he hasn't said it but I can tell

he is worried that I wont stop after I reach my goal, tbh Im happy with my weight now 10st 7 but I'm still considered overweight with my BMI, I should be 9stone 10.. do people follow it, like should I stop if I'm already happy enough ??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wexchick

Woohoo!!! first weigh in and lost 5lbs!!!! delighted!!!!!:D

• Advertisement

I have always been a big girl, don't ever remember being skinny and this is the first time ever, that I can fit into some size 10 but mainly 12, and I have never felt sooo good but I always knew my bf liked curvy girls, its just his thing and I was around 12 stone maybe more when we met and then during the relationship I went to 14, my biggest ever.. and he would always compliment all the time because he liked my size but since I have lost weight he doesn't seem to like the way I look... Like he hasn't said it but I can tell

he is worried that I wont stop after I reach my goal, tbh Im happy with my weight now 10st 7 but I'm still considered overweight with my BMI, I should be 9stone 10.. do people follow it, like should I stop if I'm already happy enough ??
    Well I think there are 2 issues here

1: Your b/f and why he isn't happy/encouraging
    2. Should your goal weight be oustide your healthy BMI

1. The man! That's not good. 14 stone would have been really bad for your health and put you at risk of lots of diseases, so he should be happy you're now in a healthier weight zone. Is there more to this? Is he fit and healthy too? Or my guess is that he's feeling bad that you have a healthy lifestyle, but he doesn't? He may be feeling insecure too.

2. BMI isn't everything, but it is usually a good indicator, particularly for women (less accurate for muscular men I think). I've got a BMI of 25.7, so I'm not far outside a healthy zone, but I am definintely carrying extra weight around my middle, so even without knowing my BMI, I know that I am carrying some flab. I'm not losing weight for BMI, but cause I love to feel fit and healthy. My happy medium at my current age will result in a BMI of around 24 .. where I keep my (considerable!) curves, but I feel fit and healthy.

I think finding the right weight for yourself is a balancing act, particularly as you age when being too slim can make you appear quite haggard. Do you feel you're carrying excess weight in any places that you could do with losing? What is your BMI now?

The bottom line is probably that only you can figure out your happy level. But stopping on this positive, healthy, life changing path because your b/f is insecure is not a good enough reason I don't think.

wexchick wrote: »
    Woohoo!!! first weigh in and lost 5lbs!!!! delighted!!!!!:D
    Wow, that's fantastic. I only lost 3.5lbs in my first week. Would love to hear more about what you did/did not do to lose that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

down .5lb last nite,that`ll do me cas i wasn`t sooo good,but improving 2day!! well done to all! everyone seems to be doin ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Well done to all the losers! :D

But DublinMember -"I only lost 3.5lbs in my first week" WTF do you mean "only"???
    Don't make me cross! :mad:

Second that on the berocca- would not normally advocate vit supplements, but this has saved me from unnecessary cravings as the vit b's boost energy in a big way.

Wow, that's fantastic. I only lost 3.5lbs in my first week. Would love to hear more about what you did/did not do to lose that much!

Well done!!! i stopped eatin crap n walked for an hour five days!!! glad d hard work paid off!!!! congrats on loosing 3.5!! keep goin!!:)

You should only stop loosing weight when U r happy with your weight. idealy u should b within the healthy BMI, just to reduce all the risks etc. Ur boyfriend should b happy that u are looking after yourself and gettin fit and healthy. My BMI is 26 and if I could get to about 23-24 I would be very happy. the most important thing here is how you feel but do not stop just because of ur fella!!! he should b supporting you! loosing weight is very hard and you don't need to be worried about what he thinks. your health, fittness and most importantly happiness comes first!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 AmeliaPond

First off, visit your doctor to determine if the BMI is a good tool for you. Chances are it is, but none of us can say that.

Second off, if your boyfriend preferred you to be UNDERweight, would you do that for him, considering the risks etc? No? Then why be OVERweight for him?

Being at a healthy weight, staying there, staying active, eating healthy foods is ultimately the best thing for you. If your boyfriend doesn't see that... well... personally I wouldn't be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fatewatchers

Hi folks,

Was working all week so didn't make weigh in, but I am getting bored of pointing and WW in general. Do any of ye find yourself hitting that wall? I have lost loads of weight, only have a "mere" 36lbs to lose to get to goal, but I am just fed up of it and I want to eat chips!

How do I get over this hump?!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Hi folks,

Was working all week so didn't make weigh in, but I am getting bored of pointing and WW in general. Do any of ye find yourself hitting that wall? I have lost loads of weight, only have a "mere" 36lbs to lose to get to goal, but I am just fed up of it and I want to eat chips!

How do I get over this hump?!

well the past few weeks i was in a hump like that wanted chips wanted mc donalds so i ate it and after eating it i relied it was horrible and not worth how i felt after the chipper at all!! it really made me relies some people may not agree with my theory but it worked for me!!

Hey fatewatchers. Sometimes I get bored by the same food .. so then I find it helps to hit the internet and go searching for new receipes. I think it's easy to get stuck with known low-point dinners, but then they get boring.
    You may just need a little shake up of the meals you are eating to stop the boredom kicking in.

And if you really, really want a bag of chipper chips, and no amount of home made over wedges will do, then maybe just have them, count the points, and claw them back over a few days. It's not the end of the world if you have chips .. and sometimes you just gotta give in to the craving!

And maybe stop focusing on the 36lbs, but set smaller goals, like when the number of stones changes, or when you lost the next half stone. I tend to change dress sizes with every stone loss... so when you go down to your next dress size, maybe you could treat yourself to something new?

Keep going .. it will be sooooo worth it when you get to your dream weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

oh my god thank god my tooth ache is starting to go down! i have to get it taken out next week tho. :( Cant go to the gym this week, if i get my heart rate up it'll just start THROBBING!

So i really gotta watch the food intake this week! Just got the new oxendales catalog....lots of REALLY nice gym and sports wear in it at the moment and they aren't crazy prices...cheaper then evans! And more fashionable too... I think I'm going to treat my self to some new gym clothes to motivate my self to keep up the exercise when back at college even if its just 30 mins a day...somethings gotta be better than nothing right.

Also got my coffee fix and lunch place sorted for college :D

Lowfat subs at subway 6 inch ones are about 4 -5pts...i pointed there menu online :D

And there is a new Costa Coffee Near the college. Large Skinny Latte is only 1.5pt from there! I've weened my self off sugar and am using the splenda sweeteners these days :D

As long as I can resist the Jambons from centra I should be oK!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭susita06

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    oh my god thank god my tooth ache is starting to go down! i have to get it taken out next week tho. :( Cant go to the gym this week, if i get my heart rate up it'll just start THROBBING!

So i really gotta watch the food intake this week! Just got the new oxendales catalog....lots of REALLY nice gym and sports wear in it at the moment and they aren't crazy prices...cheaper then evans! And more fashionable too... I think I'm going to treat my self to some new gym clothes to motivate my self to keep up the exercise when back at college even if its just 30 mins a day...somethings gotta be better than nothing right.

Also got my coffee fix and lunch place sorted for college :D

Lowfat subs at subway 6 inch ones are about 4 -5pts...i pointed there menu online :D

And there is a new Costa Coffee Near the college. Large Skinny Latte is only 1.5pt from there! I've weened my self off sugar and am using the splenda sweeteners these days :D

Buying new clothes is instant motivation for me !! I am back to college in two weeks so bought myself some new clothes this week to wear so I know I will stay on track :) also Yum are all the costa skinny lattes that low??? I always tried to avoid going for a coffee because I thought they were really high!!

susita06 wrote: »
    Buying new clothes is instant motivation for me !! I am back to college in two weeks so bought myself some new clothes this week to wear so I know I will stay on track :) also Yum are all the costa skinny lattes that low??? I always tried to avoid going for a coffee because I thought they were really high!!

I threw out all my old stuff that was too big for me...so no going back, i dont have any clothes to "fall back on" if i gain back any weight.

I have the 2010 eat out weight watchers guide, in the Costa Coffee Chapter it says Caffe Latte Skimmed Milk Massimo (large) is 1.5 pts.
    A large FULL FAT latte is 4 and 1/2 pts!

Tho not sure if thats based on semi -skimmed or skimmed milk. but even with semi skimmed milk call it at the most 2.5pts....and they are HUGE! they are 20oz mugs...thats a pint! i'm usually so stuffedd full after one, and wired to the moon ta boot! perfect for college!

Lady Lainy wrote: »

oh god they used to be my fix in college, I'll have to start bringing my lunch to college when it starts, before I would just go to the pub and order sausages and chips because most of my friends do that but now ill be eating my little packed lunch like I'm back in primary school lol

I love subway! Could live on the low fat menu alone without a care in the world!
    Sweet Onion Chicken teriyaki on plain 6 inch with Sweet onion (thats actually the lowest in calorie of all there sauces) works out at like 4.5pts!

:D I could go one step better again and go for plain chicken breast with sweet onion sauce and round it off to a wopping 4pt :D

subway will feel like my "treat" so i wont be tempted to sneak off for a jambon! lol :D

I'm going to allow my self 5pts breakfast, 6 - 7 pts a day for lunch + coffee breaks, and 10 pts for dinner, plus evening snack/treat.

I'm on 27/28 pts.

some days I will have excercise points too. I'll be on a budget money wise, so going to budget my points throughout the day. It'll be tough getting used to spreading my points out over such a longer day.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rachums

i love sub way too! but i cant actually set foot in that shop without getting a meatball marina sub!

Had pub lasanga and chips today...so i think i ruined my days pt intake :mad: eating out is hard

one meal isn't going to ruin a week. Hope you enjoyed it :D Eating out is hard! especially with guests,

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Ok guys,
    Have a scary two weeks coming up!!! I'm doing a course in Dublin for the next two weeks, and, as such, I will have to stay in an hotel.
    Ths means that I will have to eat out every day for all three meals!!!! :eek:
    Could really use your advice and help with where I should eat out and what would be good choices at a push. (I'm not asking alot am I! lol)

Any help that you could give me would be great. Thanks!! :D

If you love love love fancy coffees get your self down to tesco and get a box of NESCAFE SKINNY MOCHA! they are only 1.5pts each and on special offer at the moment 1.50 for the box :D i'm going to have box of them in my bag at all times. and even if i have to be really geeky and ask for a cup of boiling water in canteen i will haha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 alanna22

hi all :) I've just started weightwatchers and am ok with the food I'm eating but have been short of my points by a good bit the last few days. like I'm on 22 but my food is adding up to 13-15 :S is this okay? should I eat at least 18/20 or will I lose weight like this? thanks for any advice and congrats to all the weight 'losers' :) really inspiring thread!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement