Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondePrincess

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    hmmm just had ahuge plate of chicken chow mein for 7 points!

Large chicken breast 3 pts.

125g of Sharwoods Fine egg noodles 3pts

60g of Blue Dragon Chow Mein Stir fry sauce 1 pt

It has to be Sharwoods noodes! 75g of blue dragon noodles are 8pts! they are full of palm oil!

HAS TO BE SHARWOODS FINE EGG NOODLES!

IT WAS SO YUMMMMMMY!

:D

Wow, can't believe Blue Dragon noodles have 8 points :eek: I always buy Sharwood medium egg noodles, but ya know how sometimes the shop might be out of stock, I never thought there'd be such a big difference in grabbing the other brands! Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fendigal

hi everyone..need to get back on track and go back to weight watchers next week. I noticed that the Carlow classes on a wednesday have moved to Seven oaks hotel, does anybody know who the leader is or is it anne that used to be in the Donal o'brien centre on a wed?Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭fatewatchers

Hi folks,

Had WI last night, expected nothing and got a 5lbs loss!

Am thrilled and a bit bemused by it all. 6 stone 11lbs lost so far.... 3 more lbs to my 7th stone and 5 more lbs to my 100lbs certificate.....

The end is in sight, I only have 2 stone 2lbsto lose to have a "healthy" BMI. Never thought I'd get this far so quickly.... am thinking now there's an outside chance I could have 8 stone off by Christmas?!

Buzzing today :)

edited to add : I'm 14 stone 13lbs. Being "in the fourteens" was a long held wish but I thought it would take way longer to get here than it has. Can't actually believe I'm under 15 stone, I don't remember ever getting on the scales and being under 15 stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Wow, can't believe Blue Dragon noodles have 8 points :eek: I always buy Sharwood medium egg noodles, but ya know how sometimes the shop might be out of stock, I never thought there'd be such a big difference in grabbing the other brands! Thanks for the heads up!

I could not believe the difference! it was terrifying! The brands can differ SO much!

Well.....this week......UP 1.5lbs.....I drank like NO water all this week! Eating i didnt do too bad I think. I think its water weight cos i feel bloated...i can see im bloated. First week of college....thats not too bad. earlier in the week i was acting a fool when i thought i was down 2lbs....but that was just a false weight in after a very LONG day with no breaks of food. I got my final time table to day. so at least now i can plan for my breaks. and have a healty and satisfying snack ready in the fridge for when i get home after my long days in college.

i went shopping today....and im down jean size officially. like a few weeks ago i got into a old pair of jeans that were a size smaller than my usual. but you know the way old jeans they've been stretched and pulled and "worn". but today...brand new crisp jeans....down a comfortable size....it felt great only paying 12 euro for jeans!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Hi folks,

Had WI last night, expected nothing and got a 5lbs loss!

Am thrilled and a bit bemused by it all. 6 stone 11lbs lost so far.... 3 more lbs to my 7th stone and 5 more lbs to my 100lbs certificate.....

The end is in sight, I only have 2 stone 2lbsto lose to have a "healthy" BMI. Never thought I'd get this far so quickly.... am thinking now there's an outside chance I could have 8 stone off by Christmas?!

Buzzing today :)

edited to add : I'm 14 stone 13lbs. Being "in the fourteens" was a long held wish but I thought it would take way longer to get here than it has. Can't actually believe I'm under 15 stone, I don't remember ever getting on the scales and being under 15 stone.

Well done Fatewatchers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rachums

down one more pound this week, so ten altogether, got my 5% rate!

Well done fatewatchers! thats amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 allsortsembroid

well done all,

absolutly fantastic results,

really inspires me to keep going,

got home late from work today and all in house were eating take away chipper and dominos!

Sooo hard to resist but i managed and i grilled a chicken burger and had some oven chips! Proud of my self now,

Am going to do 30 min on thread mill now,

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOJOC123

Hi Guys

Well went to my WI last nite after NYC and being off work for a week and I stayed the same - could not believe it just hoping it wont show next week.

Have to get my ass back in gear now for next week and hopefully not put anything on!!! Fingers crossed.

Best of luck for everybody for the rest of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

fendigal wrote: »
    hi everyone..need to get back on track and go back to weight watchers next week. I noticed that the Carlow classes on a wednesday have moved to Seven oaks hotel, does anybody know who the leader is or is it anne that used to be in the Donal o'brien centre on a wed?Thanks

Hi fendi, it's still anne. same class, just a different location.

best of luck goin back!

New day, New week (well for my anyways)

Have my class time table out! and found a little notebook to use as my tracker.

Saturday & sunday I can control my self cos im at home, i have my "good foods" and treadmill.

tuesdays also are good cos im on work experience in a Doggie Daycare, i'll be so busy and loving every second of it i wont have time to think about food, but i will have a break and nothing out there so gotta bring my own healthy lunch. which is great! keep my self on track!

I bring my flask of boiling water with sachets of coffee for my short breaks, its great! costs nothing in college means i can enjoy my full break without and not spend half of it Qing in the shop.

Anyone have any suggestions for lunches? like wraps and sandwiches...any bit of salad in them will just go soggy...somedays im leaving the house at 8am...i dont get my lunch break till 3 or 4....I hate butter in sandwichs but im weary of using light mayo. I could get something made up fresh in the deli, but...buying a sandwich usually leads to buy a can of diet coke and gum or mints or something....call that a fiver! call that twenty quid a week....

I want to save points, save money....but at the same time not have my entire kitchen in my bag! I bring a litre of boiling water for coffees, A litre of cold water for drinking during the day, and a travel mug...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

125g of Sharwoods Fine egg noodles 3pts

It has to be Sharwoods noodes! 75g of blue dragon noodles are 8pts! they are full of palm oil!
    That 125g must be cooked and the 75g must be dry, it is one to watch for when making comparisons on packs. It is best to compare the per 100g dry weight to get an accurate comparison.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Pasta_And_Noodles/Blue_Dragon_Medium_Egg_Noodles_Nest_300g.html
    blue dragon 356kcal
    fat 1.7g
    sat fat 0.9g

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Pasta_And_Noodles/Sharwoods_Medium_Egg_Noodles_375g.html
    sharwoods 346kcal
    fat 2.1g
    sat fat 0.3g

So they are very similar.

These blue dragon ones do not have palm oil listed so might be different ones, but this is another point, packs and recipes change from time to time so do not just rule out a brand, and do not presume your favourite has not changed ingredients.

If I had the choice of 2 brands and they were identical but one used palm oil and the other veg oil I would go for the palm oil ones. They would be higher in WW point, but would be identical in calories. If anything the palm oil ones would make you put on less fat as it is a bit similar to coconut oil which also is very high in sat fat but is said to aid fat loss.

I don't know if any of you ever questioned your leader as to why the points are different for sat fat compared to normal fat. Do they really think sat fat makes you fatter than normal fat or something? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Be careful if you do ask though, EileenG was actually asked to leave a WW meeting when she brought it up.

Very good point about packing and name changes it. So confusing at times! Forget the de vinci code! just reading food labels should be an art form. Especially when it comes to pasta and noodels! Dry, cooked, 100g, Per serving, Oi! i have a headache from just trying to do the math in my ikkle ww calculator!

haha good thing i'm doing calculations in college this year! I blooody need it!

I just get excited when i find something that gives me a decent plate of dinner without having me spend all my points LOL wish i was a veggie person.

***HUGE APOLOGIES IF I'VE POSTED MISLEADING INFORMATION***

rubadub wrote: »
    Be careful if you do ask though, EileenG was actually asked to leave a WW meeting when she brought it up.

Asked to leave a meeting for questioning that? :eek::eek::eek: Oh my god, that is shocking...was she a poster on this thread? Anytime I've asked questions in my meeting, the leader is very helpful and will usually have an explanation for our queries

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

:confused:our leader says as a general "rule of thumb",100g rice or pasta is 5 points! noodles,different ball game altogether!!!some quite high in points!

foundry wrote: »
    Hi fendi, it's still anne. same class, just a different location.

best of luck goin back!

Thanks foundry..i had been goin to a different class earlier this year but it doesnt suit anymore..went to anne's meetings years ago so at least she's a familiar face. Must do something to get back down to it..it creeps back on all too easily :( thanks again

New day, New week (well for my anyways)

Have my class time table out! and found a little notebook to use as my tracker.

Saturday & sunday I can control my self cos im at home, i have my "good foods" and treadmill.

tuesdays also are good cos im on work experience in a Doggie Daycare, i'll be so busy and loving every second of it i wont have time to think about food, but i will have a break and nothing out there so gotta bring my own healthy lunch. which is great! keep my self on track!

I bring my flask of boiling water with sachets of coffee for my short breaks, its great! costs nothing in college means i can enjoy my full break without and not spend half of it Qing in the shop.

Anyone have any suggestions for lunches? like wraps and sandwiches...any bit of salad in them will just go soggy...somedays im leaving the house at 8am...i dont get my lunch break till 3 or 4....I hate butter in sandwichs but im weary of using light mayo. I could get something made up fresh in the deli, but...buying a sandwich usually leads to buy a can of diet coke and gum or mints or something....call that a fiver! call that twenty quid a week....

I want to save points, save money....but at the same time not have my entire kitchen in my bag! I bring a litre of boiling water for coffees, A litre of cold water for drinking during the day, and a travel mug...

Lady lainy just a littel suggestion for a substitute for butter/mayo on sandwiches i put a triangle of laughin cow light instead and it tastes great you can even toast the sambo and the cheese melts just like normal cheese its great and so low at half a point.

Asked to leave a meeting for questioning that? :eek::eek::eek: Oh my god, that is shocking...was she a poster on this thread? Anytime I've asked questions in my meeting, the leader is very helpful and will usually have an explanation for our queries

You can see her comments in post 7 in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055831233

I would love to hear the reasoning behind the sat fat points. I really do believe they now know it makes no sense but have gone on with it far too long to admit their mistake and change it. Even the US government were big enough to admit the food pyramid was not optimal and changed it. And the new one is still criticised

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_guide_pyramid#Controversy

Saturated fat is the "excess fat", the bad fat. They are harder to digest and pass from the body, so they end up just being absorbed and lodging in our own body....making us fat and giving us high cholesterol.

Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats tend to be ok to have cos they are considered the good fat which nutrients NEED to travel around the body. Some nutrients are water soluble, some are fat soluble. things like fish oils, omega 3, 6 , 9 are all part of the fats and lipids family but we're encouraged to take them.

Trans fats are the man made fats....they are evil and yummy!

I found this article explained it really well :)

http://www.sideroad.com/Weight_Loss/fat-saturated-unsaturated.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alpha2010

okay back in Uni today, not a bad timetable. only have 1 class on a Monday and have Fridays off so me exercising wont be a problem, but the lunches are. For Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I need to sort out my lunch. I don't want to bring my lunch in for a few weeks, so I'm gonna be eating out. Okay what would be the best choice to get? I only have deli's in my college or restaurants.. what kind of foods should I go for.. I would have about 6 or 7 points for my lunch

Saturated fat is the "excess fat", the bad fat. They are harder to digest and pass from the body, so they end up just being absorbed and lodging in our own body....making us fat and giving us high cholesterol.
    Have you any links to back up that? I never heard it claimed before.
    I found this article explained it really well :)

http://www.sideroad.com/Weight_Loss/fat-saturated-unsaturated.html
    I await the reaction to this site! lots of nonsense in it TBH, no mention of it making you fatter though.

This rapeseed oil is 900kcal per 100ml and 5.9g sat fat.

I have coconut oil which is 800kcal per 100ml and has 87g of sat fat.

The rapeseed oil has 14.5WW points per 100ml
    The coconut oil has 34.5WW points per 100ml
    So over twice the points even though it is lower in calories. And I have read many articles saying coconut oil can aid fatloss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you any links to back up that? I never heard it claimed before.

I await the reaction to this site! lots of nonsense in it TBH, no mention of it making you fatter though.

This rapeseed oil is 900kcal per 100ml and 5.9g sat fat.

I have coconut oil which is 800kcal per 100ml and has 87g of sat fat.

The rapeseed oil has 14.5WW points per 100ml
    The coconut oil has 34.5WW points per 100ml
    So over twice the points even though it is lower in calories. And I have read many articles saying coconut oil can aid fatloss.
    if ur counting points,ur only goin to use a teaspoon of oil or SPRAYOIL so this is a bit irellevant!!roughly 50 calories is 1 ww point so thats all we need to worry about!!eat healthier in general and ur points will be lower anyway.

hollyhock wrote: »
    if ur counting points,ur only goin to use a teaspoon of oil or SPRAYOIL so this is a bit irellevant!!roughly 50 calories is 1 ww point so thats all we need to worry about!!eat healthier in general and ur points will be lower anyway.

well that means that I'm only having 950 kcals a day, thats pretty damn low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

It has to be Sharwoods noodes!

Just checked my noodles today, as I was adding them to the pan.
    Nearly died when I realised they were blue dragon medium egg noodles.
    Anyway, they were 51/2 points for 100g, but one of the dried portions is only 50g.

I find the noodles very filling tho, so always have them as a dinner option rather than lunch.

PS...hope your managing your food well in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I pointed out that using their points system, a diet of eggs, salmon, spinach, mushrooms, broccoli and steak was double the points of the same calories worth of Frosties, burger, pasta with tomato sauce and jelly beans. And asked the leader to explain how even recommended fats were so highly pointed. She got very huffy and started talking about how to only eat a single chocolate biscuit. When I said I didn't eat chocolate biscuits, she told me that WW obviously didn't meet my requirements and I was wasting my time there.

I wasn't actually tossed out the door, but I definitely wasn't welcome.

It's possible she was a particularly bad leader, she seemed to spend all her time pushing ready made WW meals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Moodiecow82

fendigal wrote: »
    Lady lainy just a littel suggestion for a substitute for butter/mayo on sandwiches i put a triangle of laughin cow light instead and it tastes great you can even toast the sambo and the cheese melts just like normal cheese its great and so low at half a point.

I totally agree with the idea of using the cheese triangles i use them all the time now instead of butter. When you use them for a toasted sandwich they go all creamy and gooey mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm roll on lunch time :p

Week 2 for me and 1lb down at weigh in yesterday :D

EileenG wrote: »
    I pointed out that using their points system, a diet of eggs, salmon, spinach, mushrooms, broccoli and steak was double the points of the same calories worth of Frosties, burger, pasta with tomato sauce and jelly beans. And asked the leader to explain how even recommended fats were so highly pointed. She got very huffy and started talking about how to only eat a single chocolate biscuit. When I said I didn't eat chocolate biscuits, she told me that WW obviously didn't meet my requirements and I was wasting my time there.

I wasn't actually tossed out the door, but I definitely wasn't welcome.

It's possible she was a particularly bad leader, she seemed to spend all her time pushing ready made WW meals.

Yeah sounds like she wasn't able to deal with your questions. My leader, in Swords, is brilliant, you can have a great discussion with her if you want to query anything, and she doesn't force the WW products on you, which is good! Do you still go to WW meetings, though presumably not with her? :P

alpha2010 wrote: »
    okay back in Uni today, not a bad timetable. only have 1 class on a Monday and have Fridays off so me exercising wont be a problem, but the lunches are. For Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I need to sort out my lunch. I don't want to bring my lunch in for a few weeks, so I'm gonna be eating out. Okay what would be the best choice to get? I only have deli's in my college or restaurants.. what kind of foods should I go for.. I would have about 6 or 7 points for my lunch

Hey,
    Sticking to things like soup and brown soda bread, or a brown bread sandwich, with chicken and loadsa salad to bulk it up would be filling and low in points in comparison to other canteen/ deli foods. I buy a pack of salt and vinegar rice cakes in Tesco, they taste like salt n vinegar snack a jacks. 3 rice cakes is only 1 point, and they actually do help bulk out a meal, and taste really good too! Also, a baked potato with beans, or tuna is a good option, and really filling!

Hey,
    Sticking to things like soup and brown soda bread, or a brown bread sandwich, with chicken and loadsa salad to bulk it up would be filling and low in points in comparison to other canteen/ deli foods. I buy a pack of salt and vinegar rice cakes in Tesco, they taste like salt n vinegar snack a jacks. 3 rice cakes is only 1 point, and they actually do help bulk out a meal, and taste really good too! Also, a baked potato with beans, or tuna is a good option, and really filling!

thanks, yeah ill try those rice cakes, they sound nice :P well today most of my friends had lectures while I had my break so I went to Dunnes and just got a WW BLT sandwhich .. niceee and only 3.5 pts and then I hit the college gym... its funny, I'm in 3rd year now in Maynooth and I just found the gym today ha, never bothered before but now I have a free gym woo

I totally agree with the idea of using the cheese triangles i use them all the time now instead of butter. When you use them for a toasted sandwich they go all creamy and gooey mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm roll on lunch time :p

Week 2 for me and 1lb down at weigh in yesterday :D

what i used today in my sandwich was the mini tubs of Philadelphia light, mixed in some sweet chili sauce like a dribble and loads of black pepper, and used that to "butter my bread" then packed it full of waffer ham and salad.

Went down a treat :D

2 slices of bread - 2.5pt
    1 mini tub of phili 1.5pt
    50g waffer ham -0.5pt
    lettuce, cucumber, red onion 0pt
    Skinny Mocha 1.5pt

lunch = 6.5pts

Using the carbonara recipe for dinner :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

EileenG wrote: »

EileenG- if she thought that the WW meals were a good thing she was not a good leader! Those meals are for emergency use only as far as I'm concerned.

Our leader spent 15 mins this morning explaining to one girl that she may be within her points, but they were all carbs and hence her weight gain this week.

Anyway, loss of four pounds this morning. I think that is because I have been saving my four points a day and activity points for the last week to go out for pizza and pints tonight for my baby bro's birthday. I expect it will rebound on me next week.

I'll just enjoy tonight and get back to my tracker tomorrow. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement