Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Wednesdays Girl

JOJOC123 wrote: »

So went back this week and was told I was up 1.5lb a total of 2.5lb over 3 weeks I seriously need to get my act together.
    Only 6 more WI's till Xmas and Im determined to be down.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for reading, any advice would be great.

What has really worked for me in terms of motivation is setting a Christmas goal here. Every time I log on here I'm reminded that I committed to being down around 8-10lbs by Christmas. That might help.

The other thing that helped was doing all my cooking last weekend. It's now more convenient for me and less of a wait to reheat homecooked pointed food in the microwave than get a takeaway! Takes laziness out of the equation.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

What has really worked for me in terms of motivation is setting a Christmas goal here. Every time I log on here I'm reminded that I committed to being down around 8-10lbs by Christmas. That might help.

About 3/4 weeks ago, our WW Class leader gave everyone an envelope and a piece of paper to write down our Christmas goal on. And reminds us of it every week.

She also suggested to stick it on the fridge, so that you're reminded of it every time you open it!

I haven't stuck it on the fridge, but not a day goes by that I don't think about the committment I made to myself that night and you wouldn't want to feel disappointed opening the envelope the week before Christmas!

Last night's class was really interesting too...she put a piece of paper down on the floor and stood on it. This represented where we currently were in the week. Then depending on how good or bad a day had been she took a step back or forward. Of course, she completely exaggerated the week for effect. But it was a good visual exercise about the damage the one or two bad days are doing to your weight loss.

(Sorry for long post)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

I'm hoping for 7 - 8lbs. I've been doing terrible for last two weeks. must cop my self on now. my sleep is all over the place at the moment, im tired all day and cant sleep at night, so during the day then im trying to keep away with food and coffee...

time to get my XL ass in gear! i want 7lbs by christmas! That will give me 3st in 12 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭kty

Hi All, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of the new Propoints system the Weight Watchers is bringing out???

kty wrote: »
    Hi All, I was just wondering if anyone has heard of the new Propoints system the Weight Watchers is bringing out???

I think its being announced next week, i do ww online with the UK site, i keep getting emails saying BIG ANNOUNCEMENT COMING SOON!

i dont know how the points are calculated yet, it will change the points of some foods, but hey....i trust ww...if this new system works....then im all for it!

7th of November its being announced. I heard rumours about this a few months back, i asked my ww leader at the time, she said new system coming in before xmas 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    I think its being announced next week, i do ww online with the UK site, i keep getting emails saying BIG ANNOUNCEMENT COMING SOON!

i dont know how the points are calculated yet, it will change the points of some foods, but hey....i trust ww...if this new system works....then im all for it!

7th of November its being announced. I heard rumours about this a few months back, i asked my ww leader at the time, she said new system coming in before xmas 2010
    I just read about it on the mail online femail section - check it out, very interesting!

Coopaloop wrote: »
    I just read about it on the mail online femail section - check it out, very interesting!

So did I, thats how i found out about it, interesting alright, all fruit and veg will be no points, and its something like 29points a day which have to used, and you get an extra 49 points a week to use in which ever way you like. So we will jsut have to wait and see, i think that this mite be more versitile for everyday living, sometimes ww just gets too much with pointing everything and weighing and thinking about points on this and points on that!!;)

Thanks Lady Lainy, will be different but in a good way i think, more versitile for everyday living!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

kty wrote: »
    So did I, thats how i found out about it, interesting alright, all fruit and veg will be no points, and its something like 29points a day which have to used, and you get an extra 49 points a week to use in which ever way you like. So we will jsut have to wait and see, i think that this mite be more versitile for everyday living, sometimes ww just gets too much with pointing everything and weighing and thinking about points on this and points on that!!;)
    Yeah I agree, much more manageable, when you think about how hard it is to "save" for a night out when your only on 21 points, it just doesnt happen so you end up going over points! I like this new system, hope it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

I've been gone from here a long time. Have been trying to be good but decided to go back so next Tuesday here I come. Read about the new system coming soon and decided I wanted to be there before that. Was the kick I needed. Would like to lose half a stone by Christmas but we'll see how Tuesday goes. I was one of the original posters on here and always come on and read. Didn't feel I could contribute when I wasn't following but will be back soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Hello all. I started WW three weeks ago and so far I've lost 8lbs, which I'm very happy with. If I could have a full stone off by Christmas I'll be happy - that's 6 lbs more in 6 weeks so I think it's achievable - here's hoping!
    I only found this thread today but i'll be checking in every week and looking for motivation from everyone. If I have any tips from class I'll stick them up here too.
    Tip for this week - Butternut Squash is zero points and tastes lovely in a vegetable curry!
    Also, the link below is an article in the Daily Mail about the new ProPoints system and how it will work. Interesting................

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1326447/Weight-Watchers-Pro-Points-plan-A-new-approach-dieting-success.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Hello Ladies,
    Haven't been here in a long time. Fatewatchers, you are amazing. I wish had your determination. I hope you don't mind me sharing a few things.

Six weeks to C word weigh in, I'd like to be down 6 pounds that would be my 4th stone.

Mary (my leader) loves Dunnes Simply Better Bread but wasn't entirely convinced half a point per slice was correct, so when she's unsure she points by 100g, it pointed as 0.75 of a point when it's pointed per 100 grams.

I love the Tesco Salt and Vinegar Rice Cakes but have always thought they were 2 per point must check that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alpha2010

Slaygal wrote: »
    Hello Ladies,
    Haven't been here in a long time. Fatewatchers, you are amazing. I wish had your determination. I hope you don't mind me sharing a few things.

Six weeks to C word weigh in, I'd like to be down 6 pounds that would be my 4th stone.

Mary (my leader) loves Dunnes Simply Better Bread but wasn't entirely convinced half a point per slice was correct, so when she's unsure she points by 100g, it pointed as 0.75 of a point when it's pointed per 100 grams.

I love the Tesco Salt and Vinegar Rice Cakes but have always thought they were 2 per point must check that again.

yeah I love the simply better bread, its thicker than the ww ones

well as most know I got to goal 2 weeks ago but i changed my mind and now want to get to 9 stone 7 so I have another 5 pounds left, so hopefully ill have it gone by Christmas.. after 62 pound lost im gonna find it hard to lose these 5 pounds so fingers crossed :0

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

alpha2010 wrote: »
    yeah I love the simply better bread, its thicker than the ww ones

well as most know I got to goal 2 weeks ago but i changed my mind and now want to get to 9 stone 7 so I have another 5 pounds left, so hopefully ill have it gone by Christmas.. after 62 pound lost im gonna find it hard to lose these 5 pounds so fingers crossed :0

Go for it alpha- after all you've done 5 pounds is completely doable!

Muirgheal wrote: »
    Go for it alpha- after all you've done 5 pounds is completely doable!

Fair play Muirgheal, that's really good encouragement and I agree completely, Alpha you can definitely lose 5lbs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Slaygal wrote: »
    Hello Ladies,

Oh god I always pointed the tesco salt and vinegar rice cakes as being .5 points!!! I hope Im not wrong on this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alpha2010

woo down one today so only 4 pound left, maybe I can get that before December

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was wondering does anybody know what points for a chicken curry from a chinese is?
    I know it sounds funny to try point it but its something I really have no idea how bad it is and would love to know the points as its a real weakness for me!!
    I have ww points here for takeaways but no chinese chicken curry!!
    You can weigh takeaways and work it out yourself. Many points quoted for Chinese takeaways are ridiculously low.

Chicken korma & rice
    rubadub wrote: »
    I got a chicken korma with steamed basmati rice in "lets eat in". No values come with it so I will estimate them.

Rice was 310g, korma was 520g. I would estimate there was a small-medium chicken fillet in the korma, so say 120g cooked meat, which is around 120kcal per 100g, so 144kcal, not much fat. The sauce was quite rich with a lot of oil so I go for a similar rich decent brand supermarket one to compare. Lloyd grossman korma sauce 244kcal per 100g, 10g sat fat. So the remaining korma sauce was 400g (520-120), so 976kcal and 40g sat fat. The uncle bens ready cooked basmati 148kcal 0.5g sat fat. So 459kcal, 1.5g sat fat.

So in total 1579kcal and 41.5g sat fat. So using this http://points.ogo.ms/ I get 32.5 points. (all estimates of course)

This portion was actually not that big for a takeaway, usually in proper Indian takeaways I would get a much bigger portion. The cartons were square sort of American ones, which appeared small but held a lot, but you would get more in a typical Chinese takeaway, and more in the Indian.

Chips & curry sauce
    Depends on the place, if it is the big long tray or short one. I worked out calories for a chicken balls curry sauce & chips before. Next time you get a chinese just weigh out the tubs before eating, then weigh the empties. This was what I got

http://points.ogo.ms/

If you take branded stuff and compare it
    http://www.mccain.co.uk/our-food/chips/chippy-chips/nutrition.aspx
    Then 520g of those chips would have 1123kcal and 5.7g sat fat.

A typical sauce http://www.pataks.co.uk/products/viewproduct.php?id=35&nut=v&amount=5&sort=r&offset=0&strName=&idProduct=35&idHeat=&strSignature=&idCategory=
    200g would be 192kcal and 4g sat fat.

So in total 1315kcal and 9.7g sat fat which is 21points. That would be conservative too, as I expect they might use more fat. But of course this is just for one particular takeaway and portions sizes will vary.

Just chips
    Just back from the Chinese now, chips weighing in at 395g, so 853kcal, 4.3g sat fat, so 13.5 points. Again that is conservative using the McCains figures which are probably lower than usual to appear lower in cals.

I got a singapore chow mein last week, weighed 800g.
    Using this calculator http://points.ogo.ms/
    I would estimate it at 250kcal per 100g though, this is comparing it to supermaret ready meals and the fact that the noodles are much denser, i.e. not boiled to death where they take up lots of water. A single pack of 80-100g dry supernoodles can be 550-600kcal. I would also conservatively estimate 5% fat since it was fried noodles & meat and quite oily, so 40g of fat, and 20g goes in my calculator. So using the same calculator I would estimate 33.5points.
    One UK site estimated it at 7.5points for sinagpore chow mein!

Bag of chips from Italian chipper 455g

Going off mc-cains site their premium chips are 253kcal and 7.2g fat sat per 100g

So 1,151kcal and 33g sat fat so 24.5points for the bag.
    http://points.ogo.ms/

There is an interview with the italian chipper association guys on youtube, one guy said they used lard, another said a typical fish & chips has about 800kcal! no way in hell!

I'm really excited about the new ProPoints system being launced tomorrow!

Its great to see them recognise the scientific changes and discoveries in nutrition. They are promoting the HEALTHIER choice not just the point safe choice! Foods that keep you fuller, energised, fuller for longer will have lower points :D I dont know the full details of it yet. but it no longer looks at calories Vs Saturates...but takes in the carb,protein,fiber,fat and calorie content into account!

I CANT WAIT! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyFOGMgnFuk

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Great post/posts rubadub, thanks.

Just made me think, I'm looking forward to the new pro points "thingy"- but also slightly apprehensive.

I joined in ww in July and I feel fairly comfortable with the system now- but the thought of having to "re-learn" the points for everything sends a small chill down my spine.

Having said that, I did it before and I can do it again!

I bet the "how many ww points in..." thread is going to get very busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

I've been lurking around this thread for a while - so I think it's time to actually reply!

I'm a long time WWer and am pretty close to my goal weight. At my last weigh in 10 days ago I was 10st 8.5lbs which is 5lbs more than I weighed at Christmas last year. So the 10 3.5 is my first goal. However, I would love to get to around 9st 10. I have not been less than 10st ever as far as I remember. I was around 10 st 10 years ago when I finished college.

My problem is that, while I am very good during the day at work, once the kids are in bed in the evening I can't stop picking! This is very obviously the reason I am stuck. I am very active, aerobics, jogging, spinning and the odd walk with the dog, i'd say I exercise 4-5 times a week. In my mind I sem to tell myself that it is ok to have a mini bar with my tea, or 4 biscuits instead of 2 since I have already burned the calories through exercise.

This is my stumbling block every time I get close to 10 stone, only now I can't get past 10 st 8!! Anyone any tips on how to overcome this??

This thread is very motivational given the number of you that have reached goal - it's fantastic. Now that I've "said it out loud" as it were, hopefully it will give me the kick in the ass that I need..

Down 2lbs this week....considering i was up like 5lbs last week cos it was the week of my De provera injection which sends my weight thru the roof like clock work evry 3 months when i get it.

But hey...i know thats not directly my fault!

Down 2 this week! that all I care about! :D

ww UK site will have Propoints plan online tomorrow. just got email from them :D
    Cant wait! Its going to be head wrecking re-learning points! But i think its going to make people choose the healthier food. Its not just about slimming down its about getting healthier!

It'll be kinda cool tho...we're all going to be starting fresh together so we can really get stuck in and help each other!

GOOD LUCK TO THOSE WHO ARE SWITCHING TO ProPoints!

GOOD LUCK TO THOSE WHO ARE STAYING WITH CURRENT PLAN!

http://www.wijvallenaf.nl/Weight-Watchers/ProPoints-Calculator.html

here is the calculator for the new ww pro points system.
    This system is already being used in mainland Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 foodforliving

Although the Weight Watchers programme has its merits, I think its important to look extremely carefully at the ingredients list of any weight watchers product on the shelves. The true success to the weight watchers programme is eating a range of whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables and fibre rich plant foods.

so far the new system sounds AMAZING! Cant wait to start it tomorrow.

Must figure out how to point a chicken breast tho..it doesnt have nutritional information on it haha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17 matluka

Well after losing 4.5lb last week, I think I could be up this week, even though I was fairly good all week I went a bit daft at the weekend:rolleyes:, I had shortbread and also some cornbeef, but I did point both of these quite high.....oh I really hope Im not up.....I have the weigh-in tomorrow:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arfheabhas

Well its my first weigh in today. Doing this at home so hopefully going to post every week to keep myself honest.

Lost 5 1/2 lbs, delighted as it was one of my sisters birthday's during the week so had lasagne for her birthday dinner and a not so stingy piece of both of her birthday cakes (one of which was my little sisters speciality and comes with a sauce of double cream, cadbury's carmel bar and marshmallows).

So going to set my christmas goal as 6-8 lbs. It's always easier to lose the first few pounds rather than the last few.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

I am going back tonight and am very nervous, not sure why really. My last weigh in was over a year ago but it's almost two years since I have been going on a weekly basis. Got to gold but am going to start from scratch, new membership etc. Body shape is completely different as I have been doing a bit more exercise but all it means is that the weight is gone on everywhere instead of being focused on my thighs only, as it was before. My thighs are still my worst area though. Ah well, here goes nothing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭susita06

hi all !!

Its been a while since I commented but I am still checking in to see how everyone is doing! Very well apparently :)

I am set to get my gold card tonight :D very exciting I asked my leader could i please keep my original card too because I dont want to lose all my silver sevens :) I have thirteen of them like i remember getting the very first one and i thought I was amazing :D had a rough week with college and lots of birthday etc so i figure I will be up about two tonight but that fine by me cause i am two pounds under goal weight any way so not doing too much damage :)

I was writing a card for my leader a while ago and it got me thinking about what it felt like before WW and how I felt about myself. Its interesting, ye should think about it !

For me, I used to think that it was fine that I was so big (16.1 and 5.3 in height so i carried it quite badly) because as soon as I finished college I was going to go to america and come back after two years like a new person.
    I also used to convince myself that being big was in my genes and nothing to do with what I was doing! Or the classic feeling i had to brilliant at other tasks/ activities eg college or public speaking so I could compensate for being unacceptable in terms of how I looked

Any body else feel like this? or felt that way? or have randomly constructed notions or disappearing for a year and coming back like a model ha?

• Advertisement

susita06 wrote: »

Any body else feel like this? or felt that way? or have randomly constructed notions or disappearing for a year and coming back like a model ha?

Eh yeah!! I regularly used to think "I'll leave college for the summer and come back looking amazing" or "I'll see friends of mine that I haven't seen in a while and they'll tell me how amazing I look because I will magically have gotten slimmer". Now I just realise that if I don't do it now for the day to day then I won't do it at all.

I also do a bit of compensating, I have a pretty handbag so it's ok to be overweight. Or I have a big chest, that's all that people focus on anyway so the rest of me doesn't really matter. It's funny how easy it is to ignore the truth!

Congrats on how well you've done. It must be an unbelievable feeling!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement