Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

See I have a nut allergy so need tobe careful. but my local chinese is great and accomdates me! so I can only have either, Chicken curry, chicken fried rice or chicken chow mein! Or anything with chicken in it really... Any suggestions...

I'm a sucker for Lemon Chicken. So if i had to choose i'd be getting Lemon Chicken and 3/4's of a rice. for 19pp I'd weight the rice...and chuck out 1/4 of it...cant miss it if it never makes it to the plate.

You have most of your points...so balls in your park! :) enjoy it either way! Just been reading some really interesting articles about eating out and having a life while on ww.

One of there golden rules....never be afraid to go out.....you have to live.....BAM.....Breathe........Accept......Move On.....

happyday wrote: »
    Hi Lainy, I know you replied to my earlier questions cos it showed up in my email. But I can't find the question or the reply here? I find this really hard to find my way around. When I log in, what's the quickest way to find the WW posts? I can see the thumbs up you mentioned at the bottom as I'm typing this but how do I thank someone who posts a message without typing a new message myself?

Sorry for all the questions. There must be a run through somewhere.

Click the thumbs up on what ever comment your thanking them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭finglasgal1

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    I'm a sucker for Lemon Chicken. So if i had to choose i'd be getting Lemon Chicken and 3/4's of a rice. for 19pp I'd weight the rice...and chuck out 1/4 of it...cant miss it if it never makes it to the plate.

You have most of your points...so balls in your park! :) enjoy it either way! Just been reading some really interesting articles about eating out and having a life while on ww.

One of there golden rules....never be afraid to go out.....you have to live.....BAM.....Breathe........Accept......Move On.....

Does the chicken & mushroom come with Curry sauce?!I need a small bit of sauce, cant eat nething like that dry!

Does the chicken & mushroom come with Curry sauce?!I need a small bit of sauce, cant eat nething like that dry!

i have no idea...its just a generic sample menu on the ww site....every Chinese place is slightly different. It could be chicken in mushroom sauce....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Its in a sauce. Just make sure to point your rice or chips too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Was just picking up a few groceries in Dunnes and seen these *new* WW hot chocolates for 1pp per sachet. There was plain chocolate and chocolate with caramel. Only 45c each.

Anyone else tried them yet?

kildareash wrote: »
    Was just picking up a few groceries in Dunnes and seen these *new* WW hot chocolates for 1pp per sachet. There was plain chocolate and chocolate with caramel. Only 45c each.

there okay...they were on the old system too......i still stand by my adli ones hehe they only 1pp too

kildareash wrote: »

I have, I like them! Also u shuld try the WW mash potato with spring onion! there nice to!

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Its in a sauce. Just make sure to point your rice or chips too.

Oh are u sure?! i dont want to get it and its dry lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

there okay...they were on the old system too......i still stand by my adli ones hehe they only 1pp too

Thanks. I'd never seen them before.

Yeah, those aldi ones sound nice. I'm not a big hot chocolate drinker and hopefully we won't have too many more cold nights that I'll want it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Oh are u sure?! i dont want to get it and its dry lol

Well I have had it before in my local chinese, and it was yum. Mushrooms and chicken and litle bits of other veg in a beigy sauce. Kinda like the sauce in chow mein. Its nice. Sure when youre ordering ask them is the sauce in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out....was looking at it...but was abit skeptic about the creme fraiche as a white sauce!

Hi Lainy, I must say it was FAB!!! And my first time cooking lasagne.

I tweaked the recipe a bit which made it 10PP and then 3PP for WW garlic bread and it was gorgeous, really really filling and felt like a treat dinner as I thought I could never eat lasagne again with WW. :D

I used:

85g no pre-cook lasagne sheets (75g in original recipe)
    100g WW Creme Fraiche
    560g pork mince (350g in original recipe, bit scabby imho)
    700ml passata (original recipe said passata with herbs but couldnt find any)
    Italian dried herbs (not in recipe, I added them)
    4 cloves of garlic (2 cloves in original recipe)
    2 carrots
    1 large onion

20g parmesan cheese

1. I browned the mince and drained off the fat.
    2. Then added the carrots (cubed - small) and the chopped onion and garlic. Cooked for a few minutes and then added 500ml of the passata. Once bubbling, took off heat.
    3. Put a third of the meat mixture into a deep dish and then put the lasagne sheets over, breaking where necessary to fit and not overlapping. Repeat this step another 2 times.
    4. Pour remaining passata over the lasagne. Get the creme fraiche and add 2tbsp warm water and stir. Pour on top and then grate the parmesan over.
    5. It says heat in pre-heated oven at 200 degrees or 180 for a fan oven for 45-50 minutes but my oven is seriously fast and it only needed 20 or so minutes.

Served it with half of the WW garlic ciabatta for a total of 13PP and it was gorgeous.

Thanks girls for the advice on the runners, would be devasted if I had to return them (if I even could) because they are so cute ha ha Going to wear extra thick socks and plasters for my walks for a while and hopefully i'll break them in.

Have 6PP left for the day so time for a few vodkas mmm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Monife wrote: »
    Hi Lainy, I must say it was FAB!!! And my first time cooking lasagne.

I tweaked the recipe a bit which made it 10PP and then 3PP for WW garlic bread and it was gorgeous, really really filling and felt like a treat dinner as I thought I could never eat lasagne again with WW. :D

I used:

85g no pre-cook lasagne sheets (75g in original recipe)
    100g WW Creme Fraiche
    560g pork mince (350g in original recipe, bit scabby imho)
    700ml passata (original recipe said passata with herbs but couldnt find any)
    Italian dried herbs (not in recipe, I added them)
    4 cloves of garlic (2 cloves in original recipe)
    2 carrots
    1 large onion

20g parmesan cheese

1. I browned the mince and drained off the fat.
    2. Then added the carrots (cubed - small) and the chopped onion and garlic. Cooked for a few minutes and then added 500ml of the passata. Once bubbling, took off heat.
    3. Put a third of the meat mixture into a deep dish and then put the lasagne sheets over, breaking where necessary to fit and not overlapping. Repeat this step another 2 times.
    4. Pour remaining passata over the lasagne. Get the creme fraiche and add 2tbsp warm water and stir. Pour on top and then grate the parmesan over.
    5. It says heat in pre-heated oven at 200 degrees or 180 for a fan oven for 45-50 minutes but my oven is seriously fast and it only needed 20 or so minutes.

Served it with half of the WW garlic ciabatta for a total of 13PP and it was gorgeous.

Thanks girls for the advice on the runners, would be devasted if I had to return them (if I even could) because they are so cute ha ha Going to wear extra thick socks and plasters for my walks for a while and hopefully i'll break them in.

Have 6PP left for the day so time for a few vodkas mmm :)

That sounds yummy. How many does it serve??

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

Eabhabear wrote: »

sounds gorgeous.... i planning on making it this week but cant find creme fraiche anywhere :confused:...i used creme cheese before but it went all thick so want to try something different...

izzy24 wrote: »
    sounds gorgeous.... i planning on making it this week but cant find creme fraiche anywhere :confused:...i used creme cheese before but it went all thick so want to try something different...

You can get the WW creme fraiche in Tesco or Supervalu. It'll be in the fridge with other chilled WW products or it'll be with the other creams. It's in a green tub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

I am so annoyed with myself, I absolutely let myself go today and ate all around me. I was doing well, weetabix for breakfast, chicken and veg for dinner but then the munchies took over me. I had a curly wurly, Bombay mix, sausage roll, choc biscuits, hot chocolate. Feel like I have put on a stone in one day. It's the first time in 6 weeks that I have binged and feel so ashamed of myself. I am never going to get rid of that fat person inside!

lil kc wrote: »
    I am so annoyed with myself, I absolutely let myself go today and ate all around me. I was doing well, weetabix for breakfast, chicken and veg for dinner but then the munchies took over me. I had a curly wurly, Bombay mix, sausage roll, choc biscuits, hot chocolate. Feel like I have put on a stone in one day. It's the first time in 6 weeks that I have binged and feel so ashamed of myself. I am never going to get rid of that fat person inside!

Don't worry too much about it. Tomorrow is another day. Track and point everything you ate then start afresh. Fair play to you for not binging in 6 weeks. You can allow that person inside you to come out every so often just not on a regular basis. Do some extra exercise if possible. It will help with the extra food and make you feel better about yourself.

Eabha x

Prone to boredom eating? Have a backup plan! We've made a list of 17 things you can do instead.

It's amazing what boredom can do to your weight loss plan. You're driven by motivation and determination when you're busy, but the minute you've got some downtime, it all goes down the tubes.

You're not alone. But you're also not destined to have your efforts overruled by extra time. According to Dr. Cynthia G. Last, a clinical psychologist and author of The 5 Reasons We Overeat (Birch Lane Press, 1999), the trick is really understanding your eating triggers.

"Boredom that never feels like it goes away," says Last, "might be part of a depression." If you think that's the case for you, ask yourself what's really wrong, and why you're using food to feel better. Talk to friends and family. And ask your doctor for help.

"But if your plans are thrown off track by occasional boredom eating, it's probably a habit," Last continues. "Or something you're just used to doing as a pleasurable activity."

Or, says dietitian Samantha Heller, eating when you're bored might actually be a sign of stress; you feel like you have so many things to do that you're avoiding all of them, and are bored because of it.

"If you understand your triggers," says Heller, "you're better able to control how you behave when they happen." Make self-analysis your first step toward beating boredom eating.

Make A Plan Of Attack
    Whatever's behind your boredom eating, your second step is to come up with a plan. Try this:

1. Analyse your pattern. When does boredom eating usually become a problem for you? Mid-week? Evening? If you know when it's most likely to strike, you'll be better prepared to find a solution.

2. Come up with alternatives. Know ahead of time what you'll do instead of eating the next time you're bored. "On an index card, make a list of alternate activities," says Last. "Have the list with you at all times, so you can take it out when you need it."

Make sure your list is full of fulfilling things you like to do (a list of boring activities won't help). And try to include a variety of things that will suit different moods and times of day. Be sure to add a few items that will help you towards your weight goal, too. Here are some ideas to get you started:

If You Have 10 Minutes:
    Call a friend or relative.
    Go for a walk around the block.
    Try out some calming breathing techniques.
    Visualise your next activity session.
    Make a pot of herbal tea.
    Shop online for a great new outfit.

If You Have 30 Minutes:
    Go for a walk.
    If you have a friend who is trying to lose weight too, call or email and see how he or she is doing.
    Write a personal page in your journal. How do you feel about your weight loss so far? What can't you wait to accomplish?
    Read some of a favourite book

If You Have An Hour Or More:
    Look through healthy recipe ideas.
    Clean out your closets. Throw away clothes that are now too big, or donate them to charity.
    Go for a long bike ride.
    Start a craft project. Needlepoint, knitting or decoupage will keep your hands busy, and you'll have something to show for it in the end.
    Take your kids to the park.
    Go to a Weight Watchers meeting or read some of the online articles

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Whats more "healthier" Indian or Chinese??
    It would depend on the dish. The Indian takeaway bombay pantry have little heart icons beside low fat dishes. A tandoori chicken is very low in kcals, while a creamy korma full of nuts has a huge amount. It also hugely depends on portion sizes, whenever I see points quoted for Chinese dishes they are ridiculously low compared to what I get in my local chinese.

Any chow mein dish I get is about 800-900g which is twice the size of most ready meals, so you have to use common sense. You can check www.mysupermarket.co.uk or tesco.ie and they often have the nutritional info on foods, so you can look up a dish for info per 100g and then put in the weight of the food you get.

With Indians they usually give the main dish in a long tray, so the portions are massive and usually bigger than the Chinese. Some places have offers these days, like bombay pantry give a dish including rice or naan for €8, these are smaller than usual portions, with less sauce.

Chinese usually comes with rice or chips as standard, in my local I ask for noodles and they charge me 60cent more. I have seen people ask for stir fried veg instead of rice/chips. Rice is €2 in my local and veg is 3.20 so I would expect to pay 1.20 extra or so. I have a menu here and beansprouts are 2.70, they would be very low in kcals.

You can always just eat half of what you get and save the rest for later, or split it with somebody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

Don't worry too much about it. Tomorrow is another day. Track and point everything you ate then start afresh. Fair play to you for not binging in 6 weeks. You can allow that person inside you to come out every so often just not on a regular basis. Do some extra exercise if possible. It will help with the extra food and make you feel better about yourself.

Eabha x

I have tracked every single thing for all that time, and have done so well losing 10lbs and my body just seemed to rebel against it today. But tommorow is another day and will just have to be stricter than ever. Thanks for the words of comfort Eabha, have a good week x

• Advertisement

lil kc wrote: »
    I have tracked every single thing for all that time, and have done so well losing 10lbs and my body just seemed to rebel against it today. But tommorow is another day and will just have to be stricter than ever. Thanks for the words of comfort Eabha, have a good week x

well done for tracking it! Many would have just wrote off the whole evening asa binge crap day! Tracking is half the battle!

Sometimes we crack....and just have to get it out of our system....whats done is done....you sound like your back on track for the week ahead! Wouldn't worry too much...we all have been there.....i was there last night :p falling on my arse while i was doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 messymind

Hey all

Congrats to ye all on yer motivation, weightloss & helpfulness!

Ive just registered wit boards.ie after lady in ww meeting spoke of this thread last week....its fab:D so I hope to both learn from and contribute to it where possible!

My story...always been around 11stone am 5ft6, gave up smoking 18 mnths ago went to 12.7 stone joined ww for the 6 wks of lent 2010 lost 1.3! Managed to creep back up to 13stone post holidays in June joined motivation clinic (money down drain) back to 12st but lost interest!

Reached 14.7 stone this Jan clothes no longer fit etc...panic on:eek:

Rejoined have lost 10 lbs in 4 wks so hope following this will keep me in tune...thanks to all of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Garden_Gurl

We went to my mam's house today and hadn't been down much in the last 3 weeks and the first thing my sister said when we walked up to the door was "oh my god, you've lost loadsa weight, you can really notice it on yr face"!! I was delighted :D

When we go to my mam's on a Sunday evening, she always makes tea and toast / sambo's for everyone, but was so proud of myself I turned both down...I only like tea with like a million sugars and the toast is too high with the jam...I had 10PP left for the day but the tea and 2 toast would have used that, instead I got home threw a stir fry together for 10PP but didn't like it (used the wrong Big Al's chicken) so threw it out! I had about half of it so feel full enough!

Good week so far, roll on Thursday for WI!!! Tomorrow is honey glazed gammon (about 14PP for the whole thing - 450g) and baby potatoes for V-Day dinner....yum can't wait!!

Have a good week everyone :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

Oh ladys, I fell off the wagon completely over the weekend!

Had drinks on friday night with friends, decided to drive so wasnt actually drinking but meh did have a nachos and bit dips and crisps and that :(

Then was off to a dinner party saturday evening, was only myself, my boyf and another couple so really didnt want to be rude and leave dins behind - oh my! has shortcrust pastry tart thing for starters, cury for mains (that was loaded with cocnut milk and cream and then to finish had a small chocolate brownie pot and icecream! HOLY MOLEY! Then went on to have just the one captain morgan and orange (amazing btw tastes like a super split) but anyway Tuesday weigh in is gonna be a mare! In fairness if I hadnt been watching my weight, I woulda scoffed a whole pile more.

Only had a salad and two chicken goujons before going to dinner all day saturday and went for a good jog on beach and walked this eve... Ya reckon y weeklys would cover ALL of above? Hate writing off the week now and taking a step backwards! yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Had a bad night last night/day today and feeling rubbish for it :(

Last night I had my dinner and still had 2 pp left for a ww choc bar to eat while I watched a movie - but I got it in my head that I wanted pita bread and cream cheese, I tried to avoid it but the more i thought about it the more I wanted it. So went to make it, and before I knew it there were 2 pittas in the toasted, then smotherd in low low and phili light! Then I still had my ww bar after with tea! Felt awful, but I pointed it and it used up most of my left over weeklies (after that it left me with 7) so thought it was fine, i could deal with it!

Then today, I went to my friends to watch the rugby, and had an omelette for breakfast so I'd be full up. But I got there and her boyfriend had made chilli which was delicious, had a plate of that with some toritillas, a tbs of sour cream, salsa, lettuce and some cheese. Then I stupidly sat next to the crisps and my hand just kept going into them of its own accord. I knew I should stop but I just couldnt. Should have just gone home and had some salad, but had to go back to my parents for sunday family dinner. Just had some roast pork and stir fried cabbage - opted out of potato (only smart thing I did all day).

I've just been so good the past 5 weeks and I dont want to go to my WI on weds and be up. Would be so angry with myself! Would just be gutted. Am def back on the wagon tomorrow, and gonna do as much work on my stepper the next 2 nights as I can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

that's brilliant m'lady, you must be on cloud 9 after that! Great motivation 2keep you going!

Just back from a pub dinner, can anyone tell me if I'm underpointing?

6oz steak 7pp
    peppercorn sauce 4tbsp 1pp
    mushrooms 1pp for oil
    onions 1pp for oil
    2chips 1pp

Total 11pp

Sounds too good to be true!

Why did you only have two chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Had a bad night last night/day today and feeling rubbish for it :(

Last night I had my dinner and still had 2 pp left for a ww choc bar to eat while I watched a movie - but I got it in my head that I wanted pita bread and cream cheese, I tried to avoid it but the more i thought about it the more I wanted it. So went to make it, and before I knew it there were 2 pittas in the toasted, then smotherd in low low and phili light! Then I still had my ww bar after with tea! Felt awful, but I pointed it and it used up most of my left over weeklies (after that it left me with 7) so thought it was fine, i could deal with it!

Then today, I went to my friends to watch the rugby, and had an omelette for breakfast so I'd be full up. But I got there and her boyfriend had made chilli which was delicious, had a plate of that with some toritillas, a tbs of sour cream, salsa, lettuce and some cheese. Then I stupidly sat next to the crisps and my hand just kept going into them of its own accord. I knew I should stop but I just couldnt. Should have just gone home and had some salad, but had to go back to my parents for sunday family dinner. Just had some roast pork and stir fried cabbage - opted out of potato (only smart thing I did all day).

I've just been so good the past 5 weeks and I dont want to go to my WI on weds and be up. Would be so angry with myself! Would just be gutted. Am def back on the wagon tomorrow, and gonna do as much work on my stepper the next 2 nights as I can!

Hey don't be too hard on yourself, we all have a blow out every so often,that's life!
    Plus its probably not as bad as you think. Do you have any of your weeklies left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

happyday wrote: »
    Hi Lainy, I know you replied to my earlier questions cos it showed up in my email. But I can't find the question or the reply here? I find this really hard to find my way around. When I log in, what's the quickest way to find the WW posts? I can see the thumbs up you mentioned at the bottom as I'm typing this but how do I thank someone who posts a message without typing a new message myself?

Sorry for all the questions. There must be a run through somewhere.

follow the link in your email

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

It serves 4. Both the original recipe and the way I tweaked it too.

I would defo recommend using the amount of mince I did as the original was 350g which was really scabby considering it has to cover the dish 3 times. If you wanted it kept low PP and use the 350g, perhaps you could load it up with veg, but I know I wouldn't like the lasagne with loads of veg except carrots and onions.

Didnt even manage my few vodkas last night, fell asleep ha ha so that's a plus.
    Can have them tonight after dinner out with the OH.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

I have just caught up on the posts since my last post. This thread moves so fast! First everyone was talking about all their exercise & it was very motivating. Good luck to all you starting out on a new regime. Wish I could say I'd be one of them - but I do intend to increase my walking now the weather should be getting better.

Then, more recently everyones been falling off the wagon! I came on here to remotivate myself because that's just what happened to me last night! Did really well during the day, then brought my kids into Disneyland for the afternoon (remember I am on holiday in Disneyland Paris this week) while hubby stayed behind to watch the rugby. When we came home, he had dinner ready. A lovely healthy pasta & salad. But he had put some crispy french bread into the oven & it was just so irresistable. I had about 6 inches of it (cut in half). That wasn't too bad, but then as I settled down to watch the DVD boxset of Downtown Abbey I had brought with me, I opened a massive bag of Maltesers & just dipped into them all night until they were all gone. He had some of them, but I definitely ate the most. Best of it is, I had actually packed fun size maltesers in the suitcase in case I needed a chocolate fix - should have ate them instead! But I just couldn't help myself. Friends of ours were supposed to come round last night, but then cancelled & I had bought the massive bag to have when they were round, so they were just calling me from the fridge. Only plus of the night - I didn't have any wine!

Happy Valentines Day everyone. Hope we don't do too much damage today. I know I will. Going out to dinner tonight at the Disneyland Hotel which has the most beautiful buffet. I will let you know later if I managed to resist the desserts! And then we have a bottle of champagne in the fridge for when we get back & the kids are in bed (Well, we are in France & champagne is so much cheaper over here:D). We have to celebrate 13 years together as we met in a disco in Donegal on Valentine's night 13 years ago today.

I think holiday mode has definitely kicked in with me. Problem is, we are here for a week & I could do a lot of damage in a week! Need to make sure one or two bad days doesn't run into 7!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement