Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Garden_Gurl

Well done everyone on losses!!

We swore we weren't going to get a take away last night but got tied up after work and we ended up getting a chinese....and a few vodka's!! Ah sure it's only Valentine's Day once a year!!

On a better note, I have exercised everyday since I got the treadmill on Friday. Still doing the "couch to 5k" training and just doing a lighter session on the other days...I even did 10 mins on the treadmill at 7.30am this morning before the girls were up and I went to work and another 20 mins while the dinner was on this evening!!

Can't wait to get to Thursday for WI - I can actually feel my tummy and hips getting smaller. Going to try on a few more wedding dresses tomorrow so am on a of high!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭eok56

Molly1 wrote: »
    another question... is a banana a day too much do you think?:confused:

Their my favourite fruit and I have been eating at least 2 if not three a day and I have lost every week (11lbs in 4 weeks)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

eok56 wrote: »
    Dunnes stores have a bread, I think it's the Dunnes stores better for you granary bread and it's only 1pp per slice, it's nicer and slightly more filling than the ww bread!!

Leader mentioned tonight that 1 slice =1pp but 2=3pp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Eabhabear wrote: »
    Just catching up on todays posts. On the discussion of whether you use weeklies or not, what annoys me is that from reading people's posts every leader seems to have a different perspective on them. Is there not a set rule of thumb whether you use them or not? I'm sceptical about using them but have found the last few weeks I've needed to.

I am really confused about the weeklies too. My leader said if we ate them all every week and our dailies it would nearly be like maintenance, then Lainy said different, really confused. Maybe that is where I am going wrong. I eat most if not all of mine every week. The first few weeks I ate about 20 or so of them and lost 1lb each week but then other weeks ate all of them and still lost 1lb, so i am dumbfounded. I really need them as my dailies really only cover breakfast, lunch, dinner and maybe 1 snack or 2 small ones. So on Friday and Saturday, rely on them for a few vodkas and some nibbles in. So broke this year that cant afford to go out so really look forward to a few drinks on Friday and Saturday with the OH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭smileyface1

Hi does anyone know the difference between he USA Points Plus and the UK Pro Points systems?

I am trying to follow online but can only find a USA Point Plus calculator.
    I am taking it that my allowence is 29 points- same as UK?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭eok56

nuttykat wrote: »

Ahhhh you dead right just ran out to the kitchen to point it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rachelryan29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Monife wrote: »
    I am really confused about the weeklies too. My leader said if we ate them all every week and our dailies it would nearly be like maintenance, then Lainy said different, really confused. Maybe that is where I am going wrong. I eat most if not all of mine every week. The first few weeks I ate about 20 or so of them and lost 1lb each week but then other weeks ate all of them and still lost 1lb, so i am dumbfounded. I really need them as my dailies really only cover breakfast, lunch, dinner and maybe 1 snack or 2 small ones. So on Friday and Saturday, rely on them for a few vodkas and some nibbles in. So broke this year that cant afford to go out so really look forward to a few drinks on Friday and Saturday with the OH.

I sts for a few weeks and I hadn't really used any weeklies then lost 3 lbs when I used them all. Then sts having used them all so it'll be interesting to see how I do tomorrow. I've used the majority of my weeklies this week so I'll keep you informed. I'll also ask my leader for her opinion. I know before she said I could use them if I felt comfortable using them but what I want to know is am I supposed to use them. Everyone has a different answer to that question.

Hi Rachel,

That is the USA version- I have one but I am checking if UK and USA are the same as they are called different!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Well done everyone on losses!!

We swore we weren't going to get a take away last night but got tied up after work and we ended up getting a chinese....and a few vodka's!! Ah sure it's only Valentine's Day once a year!!

On a better note, I have exercised everyday since I got the treadmill on Friday. Still doing the "couch to 5k" training and just doing a lighter session on the other days...I even did 10 mins on the treadmill at 7.30am this morning before the girls were up and I went to work and another 20 mins while the dinner was on this evening!!

Can't wait to get to Thursday for WI - I can actually feel my tummy and hips getting smaller. Going to try on a few more wedding dresses tomorrow so am on a of high!!

Happy dress shopping, at least when you go you will have the knowledge that you doing your best!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I have looked back at all my trackers and the weeks where I dipped into my weekly points, using about 15 or so as I haven't used them all yet,are the weeks I've lost most.
    I agree with the poster that all leaders seem to be saying things differently with regards to them, its a bit ridiculous. I'm actually half thinking of ringing ww head office?

m'lady wrote: »
    I have looked back at all my trackers and the weeks where I dipped into my weekly points, using about 15 or so as I haven't used them all yet,are the weeks I've lost most.
    I agree with the poster that all leaders seem to be saying things differently with regards to them, its a bit ridiculous. I'm actually half thinking of ringing ww head office?

If you do let us know what they say. I'm gonna push my leader on it tomorrow and see what she says and if I'm not happy I might ring HQ myself. Found this on the website:

People who’ve tried the ProPoints plan already describe this weekly allowance as their ‘safety net’. They can save it up for a special occasion, blow it all on an unplanned night out or divide it up across the week to allow for bigger portions everyday. Whichever way they use it, it means they can live life and still lose weight.

That would suggest that if you use them all then you should still lose weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hey everyone, well done on your losses and good luck to everyone who is tomorrow. Had mine today down a pound, not very happy as that is for two weeks and I was 95% very good :o

Anyway am gonna track really good this week and not use any of my weeklys and see how I get on.

I remember seeing a recipe for quorn shephards pies on this thread. Have gone back loads of pages and couldnt find it. Would anyone have it and post or pm it for me, thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

Hi all

Havent posted in about a week mad busy in work!! was dwn 4.5lbs at first wi on pp!! Was delighted used all 49 and have done already this week too!! Hoping i can get half stone mark this week although will depend on exercise !!! Need to get back in the gym!!

Hope you are all having a good week and that you enjoyed valentines :) xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

fofany wrote: »
    Just caught up on todays postings. Well done for those who had a good loss & well done too who weren't too happy with their loss - a loss is a loss. Maybe it's all that water you all seem to have been drinking! I don't eat or drink anything before my WI, but it's easy for me as my class is at 9.15am & I go straight there after I leave the kids to school. And for anyone who had a gain - been there, done that & that was after a good week. There's nothing for it but to keep going. After my gain, I had a 4lb loss the next week - kinda made up for the previous week's disappointment!

Well, here in France I have had my 3rd bad day in a row. I always start off well, having my 30g packet of porridge I brought in the suitcase. We went into Disney this morning & our friends (who were going home today) texted for us all to meet up for lunch. The restaurant had no healthy options:eek:. Had a burger & chips & enjoyed every mouthful. The kids didn't eat all theres & at least one thing being on WW has taught me - I didn't eat their leftovers, but I would have before. Made a healthy (but maybe not low pp) chicken fried rice for tea when we came home. Also went swimming, but only for 10 mins as the water was so cold & youngest's lips were turning blue, so had to take her out. I know I could go back now for one as she is sleeping, but its freezing & wet out there & the thought of getting back into that freezing pool just doesn't appeal! Thinking of taking a day away to myself tomorrow & head into Paris (shopping more that sightseeing). Hubby has booked to take the kids to the princess lunch, but I really need to stop all this eating out, so the booking is for 3 instead of 4 & I can make a healthy wrap & bring some fruuit in my rucksack to munch as I walk around Paris. Au revoir.

Sounds fantastic, enjoy.

Hi all

Havent posted in about a week mad busy in work!! was dwn 4.5lbs at first wi on pp!! Was delighted used all 49 and have done already this week too!! Hoping i can get half stone mark this week although will depend on exercise !!! Need to get back in the gym!!

Hope you are all having a good week and that you enjoyed valentines :) xxx

Well done on your lost. Good luck this week and keep us informed as to how you get on :) Glad to see you lost having used all your weeklies!!

Eabha x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭colliewobbles

Well done all and for those who are struggling keep at it, the weight will come off, it just may take a little longer than expected.

Really confused about the weeklies, our leader has said they are only a safety net, but during the class it does seem that people who have used there weeklies lost more weight on average than those who don't use them, it's so frustrating.

Down 1lb - very pleased with that, if I could do that each week, i'll be at goal in less than 7 weeks.

Need to concentrate on my exercise, find it so hard to get up and go.

How can I motivate myself to exercise??

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rachelryan29

The UK pro points are under the US ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

Well done all and for those who are struggling keep at it, the weight will come off, it just may take a little longer than expected.

Really confused about the weeklies, our leader has said they are only a safety net, but during the class it does seem that people who have used there weeklies lost more weight on average than those who don't use them, it's so frustrating.

Down 1lb - very pleased with that, if I could do that each week, i'll be at goal in less than 7 weeks.

Need to concentrate on my exercise, find it so hard to get up and go.

How can I motivate myself to exercise??

I'd tell anyone to eat the weekly points!! It's a much more sustainable loss. You are far better losing 1lb a week and being full and happy, it means you'll stick at it longer. Its all about changing your lifestyle and eating habits on a long term basis. As far as exercise goes I love walking, walk on average an hour a day 5 days. Only problem is the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

I am having a terrible start to a new week. This is the first day of the week for me and I just can't stop eating all day. I am snacking all day on rubbish and have already went into 9 of my weeklies :eek:

I am now thinking of a pizza that is out in the freezer and my mouth is watering lol. I'm coming up on totm so maybe thats it. I feel so guilty because I was so good all last week. The fact that I lost only half a pound last night is also making me lose my motivation. I didn't even make my usual pot of soup today. I need to get my act together tomorrow and get my meals planned out and make my soup and salads for the next few days.

• Advertisement

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Hey everyone, well done on your losses and good luck to everyone who is tomorrow. Had mine today down a pound, not very happy as that is for two weeks and I was 95% very good :o

Anyway am gonna track really good this week and not use any of my weeklys and see how I get on.

I remember seeing a recipe for quorn shephards pies on this thread. Have gone back loads of pages and couldnt find it. Would anyone have it and post or pm it for me, thanks?

here you go

Quorn cottage pie 11pp

Ingredients:
    Low Fat Cooking Spray
    50ml Beef Stock
    75ml Skimmed Milk
    1/2 Onion
    1 - 2 Garlic Cloves
    1/2 tablespoon Cumin, Pinch of Paprika,
    1/2 tablespoon Tomato Puree
    1/2 tablespoon worcestershire Sauce
    250g peeled chopped potatoes (raw)
    130g Quorn Frozen Mince

1. Bring Pan of water to a boil (do not salt the water) Boil potatoes until tender, then drain...and return to the empty bot to keep them hot.

2. Heat large stick pan and spray with low fat spray, Fry onion and garlic for 2 - 3 mins, and add the mince

3. Brown Mince all over, add spices. Add the beef stock, and 50ml of the Skimmed milk, tomato puree & worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 10 mins.

4. Use the remaining 25ml of skimmed milk to cream mash the potatoes.

Preheat Grill

5. When the cooking liquid has evaporated from the mince mixture, you should have a rice "meat sauce".

6. Spoon Mince into an ovenproof dish and top with mashed potato. And place under grill for 8 - 10 mins until golden brown/bubbling.

I used a oven proof dish of 16cm across and 5cm deep.It prob tastes even better made fresh. I made it sunday night, and just re-heated in mircowave tonight.

I put all the ingredients into the recipe builder of the UK weight watchers site and they calculated it at 11pp

and here is another one!

I love mashed turnip in general as it's 0 points. I usually have it 4 nights a week with gravy with whatever I'm eating.

Tonight I made a large pot (bought prepped as it's loadsa hassle to chop).
    Boiled and mashed with salt and pepper.
    Fried up an onion with some chopped carrot and garlic and added a full bag of Quorn mince (6pp for whole bag)
    Addded a sachet of savoury mince mixed with 3/4 pint of cold water and simmered for 25mins (3pp in whole sachet)

I then placed all the turnip along the bottom of a baking dish and emptied all the savoury mince on top.

I grated an entire block of weight watchers cheddar (Only 10 points for whole block) on top and popped in oven for 20 minutes

I've decided to have this over three evenings which is 3 very large portions. It was so yummy and filling. This ww cheddar is great melted not so hot if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

They say the plan is designed for you to lose between 1 and 2 lbs a week - I can only assume that that target is taking into account you eating all pp given to you including the 49 - otherwise there would have to be a disclaimer or noticed saying using all of them could slow down your weight loss to less than the expected. It is sometimes disheartening to see 1lb on the scales after you have put so much effort in, but its long term weight loss we are going for and the slower AND steadier it comes off the better. 1lb a week is 52lbs in a year - thats nearly 4stone!

I've the opinion of the 49 that they are there to be used, but I wont use them for the sake of it to use them up. This is kind of what our leader says about them too. If I feel like some chocolate and I know they are there and I dont have anything planned for them - I'll have the chocolate. But if I dont feel like a treat or am full up the night before WI, im not gonna use up whatever weeklies I have for the sake of it! This has been working so far - 5 weeks in and im 12lbs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

it takes ages to read all the posts,its so busy but good!
    my success so far,w 1 down 3.5lbs
    w2 down 1lb
    w3 up 1lbs
    w4 up 2lbs
    w5 down 6.5lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    what did i do different?? worked the plan propably,used all of the 29,every day(i think),used some of 49,drank plenty of water and varied my diet more,one zumba class,one aerobics class and one walk,wasn't starved,sometimes a bit hungry but it feels good rather than that feelin of been sluggish. goin good again this week,wi on thurs so i'll let ye know,doin much the same as last week so i'll see what happens!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭aspie mum

To quote the book

"Daily + weekly + activity pp = calorie deficit"

"keeping to yor budget ensures you'll create the calorie or energy deficit to lose weight at a healthy, regular and sub stainable rate of up to 2 ilbs a week."

So yes eat all your weeklys and you will lose weight if you dont in my opinion you are not eating enough Since the new perogramme started I have eaten everything and sometimes a little more(by Accident) and have lost weight every week except one and that was the week I was really good I am down 12 ilbs since Jan and have yet to be weighed this week, As mt leader says a fluid intake is just as important as counting points it is part of the plan and remember for every durietic like coffee you drink you need to nutralise this with water in addition to your daily 2 litres:P I am lovin PP

Well done to every one on their losses it is lovely to hear about them and to thosse struggling keep the faith, it will come off just work through the Plateau

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SAexpat

nuttykat wrote: »

Please explain this?? I would have thought you double up per slice, why 3pp and not 2 or are they rounding up and 1 slice is actually 1.4 or so?
    If so, how do you know when using the points list when you need to round up?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SAexpat wrote: »
    Please explain this?? I would have thought you double up per slice, why 3pp and not 2 or are they rounding up and 1 slice is actually 1.4 or so?
    If so, how do you know when using the points list when you need to round up?
    I explained a while back, it is rounding as you said.

fifib wrote: »
    Been using this online propoints calculator i saw link to in here:
    http://www.wijvallenaf.nl/Weight-Watchers/ProPoints-Calculator.html

Just wondering what the "Portion" section is?
    was calculating the points for a Snack wafer (pink one) - protein:0.9, carbs:7.2, fat:3.3 and fiber:0.2...this is per finger (2fingers in pack). I left portion at 100 and got 2 points...presume I just double points then for eating the 2 fingers. Am i correct?
    rubadub wrote: »
    You should workout points for the amounts you actually eat. There will always be a portion size where points are zero due to rounding it down, e.g. a 35ml shot glass of beer is probably zero points, but if you drink 8 pints that is what you should point. So if you always eat 2 or 3 biscuits then enter that amount. This will get rid of rounding errors and might be important if you eat the same stuff very often.

In your example it gave the values per biscuit, in this case you leave the defaults as per 100g and a serving of 100g, as they cancel each other out. Rather than going to he hassle of multiplying all your values by 2 (to get rid of rounding errors) you can just put your portion as 200g, or 300g if you want 3 biscuits.

Putting in those 200/300g figures, 2 biscuits is only 3 points, 3 is 5points. Putting in 1000g gives you 17, so this means the true value is 1.7 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭usernamecat

Oh no! Repointed goodness of both and getting 5 for 2slices now, dont have the wholemeal one, from a website looks like 4 tho... Wouldnt mind but I recalculated it 2/3 times to be sure in the 1st place... Wonder what else ive been getting wrong? Sorry 2anyone who rushed out to buy some!

Had eaten two slices when i seen this ...Boo lol Bold Johnson mooney & O Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭usernamecat

Hey , i bought the low fat linessa yoghurst from lidl but i threw out the package by accident and never thought of the nutritional info on the outside ...

Any chance anyone knows off hand how many points in them??

thanks .
    Cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lollypop2

Hi Everybody,
    It's a long time since I went onto Boards and I'm glad I'm back..... I have been attending WW since 2003..... I got to Goal in 2004 and since then I have been back and forth to meetings. I cannot seem to get motivated at all lately. I can get off to good starts but then I end up going back to my old ways and putting the weight back on. I have 20lbs to lose to get back to Goal and at this moment in time it feels like it's further and further from my grasp.... Motivation is the big problem or lack of it. I can be so good for a week or two but then I completely fall off the wagon and go into self destruct.... Is there any advice on how I can get over the two week bounce.... I know it may be hormonal but I can't blame that for the rest of my life.... If anyone could advise I would really appreciate it.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    I am having a terrible start to a new week. This is the first day of the week for me and I just can't stop eating all day. I am snacking all day on rubbish and have already went into 9 of my weeklies :eek:

I am now thinking of a pizza that is out in the freezer and my mouth is watering lol. I'm coming up on totm so maybe thats it. I feel so guilty because I was so good all last week. The fact that I lost only half a pound last night is also making me lose my motivation. I didn't even make my usual pot of soup today. I need to get my act together tomorrow and get my meals planned out and make my soup and salads for the next few days.

dunno if i am too late to help but if you feel the need to ditch the healthy eating and dig out a pizza from the freezer - break the pizza in half while it is still frozen. pop the other half straight back into the freezer. i have often been spotted in the kitchen wacking frozen pizza off the counter top like a mad woman.
    Hope you are doing ok darkb, please promise that you wont forget that you have other stuff going on, I can imagine exactly what you are going through - in a way I lost two dads, my father and my step father. feel free to pm me at any time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement