Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Hi all,
    boards acting up on me today. Tried posting earlier, but it just wouldn't let me.

Was up 1.5lbs yesterday. Had an idea it would be because I was so bold and it's my TOTM.
    Haven't been feeling well on and off for the last few weeks, so I've booked a docs appt for the morning.

Anyway, well done to all on your losses. It makes for great reading and encourages me to get back on the wagon this week.

It's shocking how high alcohol is...I'm trying to weigh up drinks between the waist line and the pocket...it's very difficult!
    My normal drink would be a spirit and diet mixer, but this is just working out way too expensive, coz I drink them too quickly. Had started drinking West coast coolers, last summer but then a friend told me there was 500 calories in one bottle, so that put me off.
    Not much of a beer drinker, so that only leaves wine which gives me terrible headaches the next day.
    Maybe the lesson in all this is not to drink!ha!

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    I've lost touch with ALOT of friends cos i have been going out drinking with them :( We dont live near each other...we're all on different schedules with college and work...so our "nights out" are when we used to get together and catch up

Sorry to hear that, Lady Lainy.
    I'm going to sound like a nun now, but going out doesn't always have to involve alcohol. Is there anything else ye could do when ye meet up?
    We went bowling with a group of our friends on Monday night and it was a great laugh.
    My OH can't drink anymore because of a medical condition, but it hasn't stopped him meeting up with his friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Millieboo

Ok I'm prob posting waaaay too much ha (trying to avoid writing a college essay) but something which was brought to my attention and is really getting me going is the difference between UK ww and IRE ww?

A friend on mine lives in London and I already knew that there meetings are cheaper (ie £6.50 a week and most often they can get voucher for free reg for them and a friend! plus student reductions) but they also receive a "pamphlet" type thing in their meeting every week called "Your Week" including recipes, tips, exercise and motivation etc. I cannot understand why we wouldn't get this also given its the same plan and the cost of designing etc is already done?

p.s. Of course, I still think it's best plan for me, just feel a bit taken advantage of.

p.p.s. I have emailed ww and no reply (as of yet)!

....just spoke to ww (im on a crusade today) she basically told me that they dont have weight pads ie the smart cards in the UK which gives us Irish the benefit of moving from class to class (eh how many people really use that). She was having none of it, said that you get all the tips etc in class to motivate you and that UK is a different franchise. Only thing I can think is that they use the cards to monitor takings and that previously they thought some leaders were pocketing some of the profits??? Would imagine this happened extremely rarely! (apologies if I am totally off the mark but I am only going on the little info given to me by this head office lady)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

kildareash wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, Lady Lainy.
    I'm going to sound like a nun now, but going out doesn't always have to involve alcohol. Is there anything else ye could do when ye meet up?
    We went bowling with a group of our friends on Monday night and it was a great laugh.
    My OH can't drink anymore because of a medical condition, but it hasn't stopped him meeting up with his friends.

trying to get a bunch of under 24yr olds to go out and not drink is pretty much mission impossible...money is tight....so what ever money ppl have for nights out...are going to be "NIGHTS OUT"

trying to get a bunch of under 24yr olds to go out and not drink is pretty much mission impossible...money is tight....so what ever money ppl have for nights out...are going to be "NIGHTS OUT"

Hey I am 26 (mature student) and I certainly couldn't get peeeps go out and not drink, unless its midweek cinema visit so I totally understand!:D

• Advertisement

Millieboo wrote: »
    Ok I'm prob posting waaaay too much ha (trying to avoid writing a college essay) but something which was brought to my attention and is really getting me going is the difference between UK ww and IRE ww?

A friend on mine lives in London and I already knew that there meetings are cheaper (ie £6.50 a week and most often they can get voucher for free reg for them and a friend! plus student reductions) but they also receive a "pamphlet" type thing in their meeting every week called "Your Week" including recipes, tips, exercise and motivation etc. I cannot understand why we wouldn't get this also given its the same plan and the cost of designing etc is already done?

p.s. Of course, I still think it's best plan for me, just feel a bit taken advantage of.

....just spoke to ww (im on a crusade today) she basically told me that they dont have weight pads ie the smart cards in the UK which gives us Irish the benefit of moving from class to class (eh how many people really use that). She was having none of it, said that you get all the tips etc in class to motivate you and that UK is a different franchise. Only thing I can think is that they use the cards to monitor takings and that previously they thought some leaders were pocketing some of the profits??? Would imagine this happened extremely rarely! (apologies if I am totally off the mark but I am only going on the little info given to me by this head office lady)

Thats why i try to post any interesting articles i come across on the uk site.
    one thing i will say...from the sounds of it....some off the irish leaders are fantastic....they email and text ye :O my leader never did anything like that...my leader was lovely but she was totally old school

....just spoke to ww (im on a crusade today) she basically told me that they dont have weight pads ie the smart cards in the UK which gives us Irish the benefit of moving from class to class

I thought you could do this before we got the smart cards. Bit of a lame excuse imo...I get the email from WW every week and it's always the same topic as we talk about in class, so there must be some link.

I know my post made my sound like an old fuddy duddy but I'm only 27 myself (on my birth cert only, in every other way I'm 23!). But i take your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

yeah i'm studying all that in college animal management...i've heard ALOT of bad stories about the place :(

UGH! have to to go to my cousins place Saturday night for dinner....spanish cousins....everything fried and drenched in olive oil. Hoping to god they do fish!
    lesser of the evils! It's going to be IMPOSSIBLE to point!

That's gas, I did a degree in zoology. Much good it is to me now!

I'm off out for a walk folks. It's blowing up a gale here (I live by sea) but it'll blow the cobwebs off!

:D

Pancakes with Nutella and Banana
    ProPoints® Value: 6
    Servings: 4
    Preparation Time: 10 min
    Cooking Time: 15 min
    Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Ingredients
    125 g Flour, Wheat, White, Plain, sifted,
    1 medium Egg, Whole
    300 ml Milk, Skimmed
    5 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled,
    for the filling;
    8 teaspoons Ferrero Nutella
    2 medium Banana, peeled and sliced thinly

Instructions
    To make the pancakes, place the flour in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Crack the egg into the well and stir, gradually drawing in the flour. When the mixture is thick, add the milk a little at a time until you have a smooth batter – sieve the mixture if there are any lumps.

Spray a small non-stick pan with low fat cooking spray and heat until hot. Add a tbsp of batter and swirl to the edges of the pan. Cook over a medium heat for 1-2 mins until set and beginning to brown on the underside (lift the edge of the pancake to check). Flip and cook for a further 1 minute until brown. Remove from the pan, keep warm and repeat to make 8 pancakes.

Spread half of each pancake with a tsp of nutella, scatter over a few slices of banana, fold in half and serve 2 per person.

Traditional Homemade Pancakes
    ProPoints® Value: 1
    Servings: 12
    Preparation Time: 0 min
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients
    125 g Flour, Wheat, White, Plain, sifted
    1 medium Egg, Whole
    1/2 serving(s) (1/4 pint) Milk, Skimmed
    1 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled

Instructions
    Put the flour into a bowl and break the egg into the centre.
    Add the milk gradually beating into a batter.
    Pour the batter into a jug.

Heat a non-stick frying pan.
    Spray lightly with low-fat cooking spray.
    Pour in 3 tbsp batter and quickly swirl the pan to coat the base.
    Cook until the batter becomes firm and bubbles appear.
    Flip the pancake over.

Serve with fresh lemon, artificial sweetener or sugar
    (add a Points value of ½ per teaspoon).

Chef Tips
    To renovate this traditional pancake recipe we:
    used skimmed milk
    ditched the oil for low fat cooking spray

Warm Fruity Pancakes
    ProPoints® Value: 7
    Preparation Time: 15 min
    Cooking Time: 20 min

Ingredients
    4 small Plums (without stone), pitted and sliced
    100 ml Orange Juice, Unsweetened
    20 g Sugar, Caster, or light muscovado
    1/2 teaspoons (as purchased) Cinnamon, Ground
    75 g Apricots, Dried, halved
    1 medium Orange
    1 medium Banana, For the pancakes
    125 g Flour, Wheat, White, Plain, plain
    1 pinch Salt
    1 medium Egg, Whole
    300 ml Milk, Skimmed
    2 teaspoons Oil, Vegetable, Any Type
    150 g Cheese, Quark, low-fat plain fromage frais or 0% fat natural yogurt

Instructions
    Put the plums into a saucepan with the orange juice. Add the sugar, mixed spice and apricots. Cook gently for about 10 minutes, until the plums are tender. Remove from the heat.

Finely grate the zest from the orange. Next, use a sharp serrated knife to remove all the peel and pith from the orange, then slice it into segments, removing all the membrane. Add to the plums. Slice in the banana and mix together gently.

To make the pancakes, put the flour, salt, egg and milk into a large mixing bowl with 2 tbsp of cold water. Using a hand whisk or a hand-held electric mixer, whisk the ingredients together to make a thin batter.

Heat a large heavy-based pancake pan or non-stick frying pan and add 2-3 drops of oil for each pancake you make. Spoon in some batter, tilting the pan as the batter is added to swirl it over the base. When the underside of the pancake is cooked, flip it over to cook the other side. Cook 4 large or 8 small pancakes in this way, keeping them warm in a low oven until they are all ready.

Mix 1 tsp orange zest into the Quark, fromage frais or yogurt. Fill the pancakes with the warm fruit mixture and serve with the orange-flavoured topping.

Maple Syrup Pancakes and Pears
    ProPoints® Value: 7
    Preparation Time: 5 min

Ingredients
    125 g Flour, Wheat, White, Self Raising
    2 medium Egg, Whole, beaten
    175 ml Milk, Skimmed
    6 tablespoons (level) Syrup, Any Type, maple
    1 teaspoons (level) Spread, Low Fat, (suitable for cooking)
    800 g Pears, in Juice, Drained, (2 x 400g tins)

Instructions
    Place the flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the eggs, milk, and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Whisk together until completely smooth.

Warm a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. When hot add the spread and leave to melt. Add the batter in large spoonfuls to make little pancakes about 8cm across. Cook for about 1 minute until bubbles start bursting on the surface, then flip over and cook for a further 30 seconds until both sides are golden. Continue with the remaining mixture until all 12 panackes are cooked. Set aside in a warm place.

Increase the heat and warm the empty pan. Add the pears and remaining syrup and cook for 2-3 minutes until hot through and starting to caramelise a little. Serve a stack of 3 pancakes with the syrupy pears on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I think that they are totally taking avantage of the Irish, they always do. The reason is because they can. There is so much variety in UK with slimming clubs. They even have some slimming clubs that do fitness classes along with wi and meetings and they are still cheaper than ours!

IMO I think 10e to be weighed is crazy!!! But we are all still going to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Here are some recipes that our leader gave us. They're to help us alternate our diet so we don't get bored of eating the same stuff over and over again.

Red Pepper and Courgette Lasagne

Serves: 4
    ProPoints: 6 per serving

Ingredients:
    3 Sliced red peppers, deseeded
    Low calorie spray oil
    1 Red onion, chopped
    2 Cloves garlic, crushed
    2-3 Courgettes
    2 400g Tin chopped tomatoes
    2 tsp fresh thyme
    300g Weight Watchers low fat soft cheese
    100ml Skimmed milk
    4 Lasagne sheets
    60g Weight Watchers grated white cheddar cheese

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180◦C.
    Fry red peppers in low cal spray.
    Add red onion and fry until soft. Add garlic.
    When they are cooked, add courgettes until golden. Add chopped tomatoes and thyme. Simmer for 20 mins.
    Whisk soft cheese with milk.
    Place half the veg sauce in an ovenproof dish, top with 4 sheets of lasagne and ½ the cheesy sauce.
    Repeat the process and finish with the cheddar cheese.
    Bake in oven for 15 mins.

Crunchy Beetroot Salad with Feta and Pear
    5 ProPoints per serving

Ingredients:
    Beetroot, fresh or vacuum packed, sliced
    Medium ripe pear, peeled, cored, sliced
    40g Feta cheese
    1tsp extra virgin or original olive oil
    Half lemon
    Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
    Fresh mint leaves
    1tsp toasted pine nuts

Instructions:
    Slice beetroot into matchsticks.
    Peel, core and slice pear into matchsticks.
    Place in a bowl and crumble feta cheese over and mix together with oil, lemon juice.
    Season with salt and pepper.
    Sprinkle over fresh mint leaves and a heaped tsp of nuts.

Fruit Meringue
    Serves: 8
    ProPoints: 3 per serving

Ingredients:
    1 Packet of meringue nests
    40g hazelnuts, peeled
    120g Weight Watchers crème fraiche
    1 Vanilla pod, scored lengthways and seeds removed
    200g Raspberries
    200g Blackberries
    50g Lyles Golden Syrup
    Small leaves fresh mint

Instructions:
    Put the hazelnuts on a baking tray and pop them in the oven until they’re light brown.
    Crush them lightly in a pestle and mortar and put them to one side.
    Put t0he crème fraiche in a bowl and add the vanilla seeds.
    Top the meringues with the crème fraiche, some crushed nuts, berries and lightly drizzle the golden syrup on top. Finish with a scattering of mint leaves.

Mango Salsa
    0 ProPoints

Ingredients:
    1 Red pepper, deseeded and chopped finely
    1 Yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped finely
    1 Red onion, chopped finely
    ½ Red chillies, deseeded and chopped finely
    1 Garlic clove, crushed
    1 Ripe mango, peeled and chopped finely
    2 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
    2 limes, juiced

Instructions:
    Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and toss together.
    The salsa can be blended but is really nice served chunky.

A Date with an Orange
    5 ProPoints per serving

Peel an orange removing all the white pith, halve the orange & remove the pips, divide into segments.
    Halve 2 dates & remove the stones, cut the flesh into very thin strips.
    Put the orange and dates into a bowl. Pour 50mls of unsweetened orange juice over the fruit.
    Sprinkle 15g of toasted flaked almonds and 30ml of Weight Watchers crème fraiche on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Just having a bowl of 0PP soup while I wait for dinner. Gosh it really is a lifesaver because otherwise I would probably have had double the rice I normally have (80g) but I might just have 60g tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Weighed myself for the first time since last week im now down to 14st 9lbs from 15st 1lb .... Absolutely Ecstatic. Going to head to a Weight Watchers Class on Monday too :D

RVN10 wrote: »
    Weighed myself for the first time since last week im now down to 14st 9lbs from 15st 1lb .... Absolutely Ecstatic. Going to head to a Weight Watchers Class on Monday too :D

Brilliant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Ran my arse off yesterday in Gym hour on the treadmill , walked my pooch and then played some footie on the astroturf for an hour WOOOOP

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

RVN10 wrote: »

Great news. Hope you get on well at the class. Good luck.

Yes...but the "fluids" they speak of IS WATER...the caffeine will just send the water straight out of your body...so you'd have to drink EVEN more "fluids" to compensate....like the recommended intake is 8 glasses a day....the sugar free sqush/dilute drinks best option...i dont care what additives are in it....the benefits of drinking the water out do the "additives" 100 times fold for me.

i hated drinking water....i was total diet coke addict...but now if i dont get my 2 litres in.....i feel like ****e for the day!

Green tea is horrible vial stuff!

3 pints of water is pretty close to the 2 liters....one in the morning, one at lunch ,one BEFORE dinner...you'll soon develop a "natural thirst"

Lainy you really do develop a natural thirst don't you. I went into a slump of 1lb every week. Started making sure I drank 4 500ml bottles of water at my desk in work during the day. At first I was forcing myself, but quite soon, I found myself reaching for the water as I was thirsty. Now I have to have my water and I only started drinking it about 3 weeks ago! Also not eating as much WW mints and fruities at work as I am always having the water first. :)

Def specially if you're not a big exerciser (?), will give your body that shock it needs. I hate exercise but I cannot deny the fact that I have my best losses in the weeks where I get my a$$ on the treadmill 4/5 times a week!

Definitely exercise helps and if it doesnt show one week it will show the next. Did a little test. Last week ate all dailies and weeklies, might have even gone over a little, exercised 6/7 days (Zumba 1 day then 3k walk other days) and lost 2lbs. This week (just gone) I ate most dailies, half weeklies, exercised 4/7 days (Zumba 1 day, 1.5k 1 day and 2k the other 2 days) and lost 2lbs.

Sooo you can eat all weeklies and dailies and do loads of exercise or do a moderate amount of exercise and eat half the weeklies and still lose :) It all counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Hello everyone, i haven't been on boards in a while and honestly have been struggling a little the last couple of weeks :(. Only down 7 pounds in 6 weeks :o, stayed the same this week and haven't had any increases. I was away two weekends and had a couple of parties. I need a good kick!!! Anyway, logged in to ye this evening and i can honestly say ye have lifted my spirits and given me the boost i needed.

So just wanted to say thanks and congrats on all the losses :D

dizzymiss wrote: »
    Hello everyone, i haven't been on boards in a while and honestly have been struggling a little the last couple of weeks :(. Only down 7 pounds in 6 weeks :o, stayed the same this week and haven't had any increases. I was away two weekends and had a couple of parties. I need a good kick!!! Anyway, logged in to ye this evening and i can honestly say ye have lifted my spirits and given me the boost i needed.

So just wanted to say thanks and congrats on all the losses :D

ONLY down 7lbs in 6 weeks????? Average is 1lb a week so you are above average right now and it sounds like you have been living it up aswell, so to loose above average while going away etc is brill - don't forget that! :)

• Advertisement

Oh no! I was bold today. Im afraid and embarassed to even ask.... but does anyone know how many millions of points are in a delicious long cream doughnut???:o

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Oh no! I was bold today. Im afraid and embarassed to even ask.... but does anyone know how many millions of points are in a delicious long cream doughnut???:o

Not nearly as bad as I (and prob you) thought ha - as per ww.co.uk its 7PP for the average fresh cream and jam doughnut!

Night Night Folks!

Tomorrow is the start of the weekend....Lets try to be good!
    I'm making thai green curry tomorrow night 19pp including rice :)

Point well! Move More! Dont Forget to Vote :P

Not nearly as bad as I (and prob you) thought ha - as per ww.co.uk its 7PP for the average fresh cream and jam doughnut!

Thanks very much.:D Really oh wow!!:eek: Thats great! Thought it would like 20pp or something. Feel better about it now. That means I didnt go over today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Just back from WI, down 1lb which is total loss of 12.5 lbs. Not too bad considering I did SFA on the exercise front all week, bar the hour of dance on Tuesday. Will be extra good with the exercise this week!

Cadyboo wrote: »

Me too. My dad brought home a box of celebrations and I just sat there and ate from the box. Fuming with myself :mad: especially as I have a wedding tomorrow which means it'll be Sat before I can get back on track :(

Sorry I can't help with the doughnut but I would say it'd be high enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

Has finally realised that I'm an emotional eater have had the wk from hell so I'm just gonna write this wk off and start a fresh on sat morning (but I won't go mental just can't concentrate on WW this wk)

Eabhabear wrote: »
    Me too. My dad brought home a box of celebrations and I just sat there and ate from the box. Fuming with myself :mad: especially as I have a wedding tomorrow which means it'll be Sat before I can get back on track :(

Sorry I can't help with the doughnut but I would say it'd be high enough.

Honestly isn't it awful when your friends/family/roommates (for me my family) think they are being lovely and have the best intentions but are actually screwing you up big time!!! My dad was away on business and just brought me home a large toblerone!!! - Like he knows I'm dieting cos I bang on about it enough ha! (one triangle is 3PP!) And then I feel so ungreatful by pawning it off to my bro!

Layla0509 wrote: »
    Has finally realised that I'm an emotional eater have had the wk from hell so I'm just gonna write this wk off and start a fresh on sat morning (but I won't go mental just can't concentrate on WW this wk)

We all need a binge sometimes, if only to rebel! Not the end of the world, aslong as you get back on track next week you will be just fine. Hope everything works out ;)

• Advertisement

Honestly isn't it awful when your friends/family/roommates (for me my family) think they are being lovely and have the best intentions but are actually screwing you up big time!!! My dad was away on business and just brought me home a large toblerone!!! - Like he knows I'm dieting cos I bang on about it enough ha! (one triangle is 3PP!) And then I feel so ungreatful by pawning it off to my bro!

I know what you mean but this one was on me. He brought it home for everyone and I just couldn't help myself :mad: I've downed a load of water and I did an exercise DVD earlier so I don't think it'll do too much damage! My brothers love when I pawn food off on them. One of them is trying to put on weight for football so we have completely opposites meals!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement