Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi Jwacqui don't worry about WW when you're sick. Frozen yogurt might help with eating something on a dodgy throat. Put WW to one side until you're better, you're health is more important. Get well soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mickyt

Hi Guys,

Just seen these threads and thought I would get stuck in.. I am doing the WW but not attending the meetings.. My GF is going to help me stick to it and we will weigh me Sunday evenings.. has this worked for anyone else before?

Being 6ft 5ins tall and 22stone.. I do have quite a few points to play with (31) but, I am doing good so far..

What I was wondering is the following: Someone told me that if I don't use as close to my points as possible, the fat will store. Is this the case?

The problem with that is, with 31 points I am already finding it hard to see if I can fill up the points quota.

I also play football 4 times a week, so would imagine that I can work those excercise points up.. I would rather keep them for a few drinks at the weekend.

Does anyone know how this is calculated usually? Like how many points can be worked up for an hours excercise..

The thing is, being a man and not wanting to kinda make it public none to everyone, I wasn't going to do this as an exact science.. I was going to eat my dinner as normal as I do have about 17 points to play with it for dinner.. will it work this way?

Sorry if this has been asked already just couldn't navigate my way through the pages to check..

Thanks,
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mulmulcahy

hey mick im not sure how it works when youre doing it online but i was given a booklet a few weeks into it about exercising which tells you the points one earns for various types of exercise. not sure if football is listed but you could use something similar to give u a rough idea. as for using all your points, there are plenty of things which would be high in points and would help u to use them up. not sure about fat being stored but my leader did say that we might begin to feel a bit run down if we werent using them all. drink can be high in points esp if you drink cider so watch out for that! its the other way for me, im attending classes and my bf is eating the same meals as me and he's losing much more than me! i think guys tend to lose weight a bit more quickly though. Lucky feckers :D best of luck with it anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mickyt

mulmulcahy wrote: »
    hey mick im not sure how it works when youre doing it online but i was given a booklet a few weeks into it about exercising which tells you the points one earns for various types of exercise. not sure if football is listed but you could use something similar to give u a rough idea. as for using all your points, there are plenty of things which would be high in points and would help u to use them up. not sure about fat being stored but my leader did say that we might begin to feel a bit run down if we werent using them all. drink can be high in points esp if you drink cider so watch out for that! its the other way for me, im attending classes and my bf is eating the same meals as me and he's losing much more than me! i think guys tend to lose weight a bit more quickly though. Lucky feckers :D best of luck with it anyway....

Thanks for the post Mull. Yeh I am the same as your BF I guess. looking to do it since she has only started 2 weeks ago seems perfect chance for me to get back in shape to.. She went tonight for her first weigh in cause of the the bank holiday last week and was down 7 lbs... very proud of her so hopefully it rubs off on me..

I do intend to take it serious but anyone I ask says not many men go to them so don't want to be feeling akward but if I can't stick to it this way, I will join...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭1lbAtaTime

Evening All
    I've been having a ok week this week, went to Siam Thai for dinner yesterday afternoon which wasnt the best points wise but it was the only thing I ate all day as it was at about 3 in the afternoon and I was full for the day so hopefully not too much damage done. Have been to aqua aerobics thursday and today and walking on Saturday so the exercise is always a great help, still hoping to be down a pound this week.

Mickyt I reckon you should bite the bullet and go to a class, there are always a few men in my class or there are mens only classes as well. You are doing it for yourself and if you meet someone there you dont want to know it means they are doing the same thing and it is nothing to be ashamed of. You can only loose weight for yourself and its your health, I think that weighing in each week is motivation in itself but I have never been disciplined enough when I try and do it at home. Also Id say if you are finding trouble using your points you should maybe eat more regularly, small snack throughout the day maybe??

Congrats trying hard, there is no better motivation than a weigh loss :)
    Hope everyones weeks are going great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Congrats to everyone who had good weigh ins last week! My first one back is tomorrow and although I feel I had a good week, I made the mistake of weighing myself this morning and it doesn't seem that I've gone down much or at all :( And I know it's not because there's a difference between the WW scales and mine, because I always weigh myself straight after a meeting so I'll know how much I am on my scales at the start of the WW week!

I did have one slip up. Went out on Friday night. Drinkwise, wasn't too bad, had a few glasses of champagne (they were free) and about 3 vodka & diet 7ups. However, the drink munchies got the hold of me and we ended up getting a Mizzonis pizza on the way home. We shared it but I ate most! Was so ashamed the next day! Really redeemed myself over the weekend though, even though I was hungover on Saturday I ate really well, made a lovely chicken salad for dinner and didn't succumb to the usual glass (or 3!) of wine. Sunday I went for a family lunch to my favourite Italian restaurant and went for a salad. It was a beef salad though, I'd say it was high enough in points but it was all I ate all day because I had a lie in and didn't have time for breakfast, then was studying the rest of the day.

I've been really enjoying getting back into it but I really will be devestated if I'm not down at least 2lbs because I really have been doing well! I guess I'll have to wait and see tomorrow. Good luck to everyone else who has WIs between now & then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Queencake

Joined WW for the first time on Wednesday and have been sticking to it really well if I do say so myself. BUT I'm in the middle of exams so no time to exercise until later next week :( I'm going to a festival in August and I really wanna have lost a good chunk of the weight by then. TBH I wish I'd started WW sooner!

Height: 5'3
    Starting weight: 12.8 stone
    Goal weight: 9.5 stone

They say I'm allowed 20 points but I've been sticking to under 18 every day this week. Is this a bad idea???? I guess I've been trying to lose the weight quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

Hello peoples :D

First of all..well done trying hard a brill weight loss..!! and also to barbiegirl ur doing great chin up and even if this was a not so good week ya can put it behind ya and start afresh!

Welcome to Mickyt...I say fair play to ya for gettin stuck in with the GF what a great way for yas to lose weight together!! It will be so motivating for one another..I do understand bout the meetings and i think the only way ul be successful on your own is with the GF weighin ya and getting the tips..Best of luck to you!!:)... With the points.. it says you can save 4 points per day to use up on drink/treats/weekends... I always save my 4 points for alcohol at the weekend as i do most weekends head out. What your saying about dinners and working out...the football is fab not sure exactly how many activity points it would be always found it hard to work them out :):) But the dinner if you have a lot of points use filling foods to fill ya up and use the points...meat, spuds etc.. Ul get used to the whole system anyways..and ul defo get tips here.. :):) Good luck again k!!

1lbatatime...i wouldn worry about the dinner out everyones entitled to the nice meals im sure u were good and well on the way to your goal for this week ;)

Ibarelycare..Chin up the first week is defo hard...trying to get out of old habits..best of luck for tamo..!! :)

Welcome to Queencake.. :):) i wouldn worry to much about the exercise i was in WW a good few weeks before i got really moving and it was fine.. once ur exams are done ul be flyin:D:D As i said to mickyt ya can save four points a day so wouldn worry of your not using all of yours!! Good luck to ya and this place is brill for support/advice...Id be lost without it :D:D

Good luck for rest of week guys!! xx

Apoligies for long post...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Hi all,

Well even though I was sick I went to weigh in. I knew I had lost weight because I was sick but I got a shock!

My points for the week went as follows, Wed (+5), Thur (-3), Fri (-1), Sat (+.5), Sun (-5) and yesterday I was really ill I only had 8points all day and also got sick once.

I lost 6.5 lbs!!!!! :eek::eek:

I am a bit afraid though thats it's gona pile back on next week, the leader said cause I was sick it might balance out next week with a gain but try keep as much of it off as possible!

Any tips or hints for me?

How is everyone getting on?

J x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Queencake

Anyone got any good links for WW friendly recipes? I'm useless when it comes to cooking but I need to start for WW. I'm seriously sick of the WW ready meals already. :eek: WW, WW, WW...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭maidie

Hi Jwacqui, Well done, thats 3 and a half bags of sugar:confused: Fair play to you, I think that if you keep motivated this week, you might manage to stay the same or lose a small amount....Even if you lost another 1/2 LB, that would be great.. I was going to join WW again but decided to try the Slender Xcellerate and started to run so will see how it goes and then back to face my demons every wednesday morning... 2 sisters rejoined last week, If I see them making progress I might go back a bit sooner.... My big problem is that my weight fluctuates throughout the month and I know for 2 weeks I'm going to be Up and then that puts me off...Anyone else got that problem with the ole hormones:eek:

maidie wrote: »
    My big problem is that my weight fluctuates throughout the month and I know for 2 weeks I'm going to be Up and then that puts me off...Anyone else got that problem with the ole hormones:eek:
    I definately know where youre coming from. it hasnt really affected my weigh ins but my clothes do feel tighter at certain times of the month. try drinking purrah tea maybe, i find it helps with bloating. controlling my appetite is a different story though:eek: feel so hungry in the middle of the month that i find it hard to resist temptation. as i said earlier i had a bad weekend and just made the fatal error of standing on the scales an hour before my weigh in. Im guessing im up 2 lbs and i dont even want to go now. any quick fixes, i wonder would i get strange looks if i turned up in my undies to get weighed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Karmella

mulmulcahy wrote: »
    I definately know where youre coming from. it hasnt really affected my weigh ins but my clothes do feel tighter at certain times of the month. try drinking purrah tea maybe, i find it helps with bloating. controlling my appetite is a different story though:eek: feel so hungry in the middle of the month that i find it hard to resist temptation. as i said earlier i had a bad weekend and just made the fatal error of standing on the scales an hour before my weigh in. Im guessing im up 2 lbs and i dont even want to go now. any quick fixes, i wonder would i get strange looks if i turned up in my undies to get weighed:D

don't worry about the weigh in - if you're up take it on the chin and it should motivate you for next week. I was up last week after a very bad weekend and i said i'd work all the harder this week and i'm down 3! Really happy with that! So just be positive about the blowout and move on from it. I think thats the only way i can do it anyway. Good luck!

thanks a mil karmella, was up half a lb so not so bad and i stayed for the meeting which happened to be about staying motivated! new week starts tom! i also found out that curly wurlys are only 2 points, a vital piece of info :D well done on the weight loss by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Karmella

you see - I told you it wouldn't be so bad ;) good luck for the week now!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭barneylou

Hi everyone, Im new to the boards and I was delighted to see a thread all about ww. I have my first meeting tonite yuck yuck ( hate the first one) I have done it before for a family wedding. I started in October 2007 and l lost 10ibs which is what I needed to get to my desired weight of just under 91/2. I kept it off for quite a while but lately felt it was sneaking back on so I weighed myself the other morning and low and behold I was 10s 10ibs which probably means 11 cause there is always a difference on your scales and ww scales.... so here I am back to the points again. I have been good this week cause Im dreading looking down and seeing 11s looking back at me.

It has always worked really well for me but last time I didnt do any excerise while I was on the program this time im up 3 mornings a week at 7.30 so I can get a walk and thats for the last 2 weeks. Tonite im bringing my sister in law to be with me as she wants to lose a few pounds as well as educate herself on how to eat healty it will be her first time. Well Ill keep ye posted how I get on and pg it will be a good result wednesday week..

Special thanks to Queencake I posted on her thread by mistake and she pointed me in the direction of this one.

Well done karmella great weight loss...:D:D and mulmulcahy thats not too bad at all...ul have it off again next week chin up ul have a great week ahead ;)

Jwacqui...thats brill i no you were sick same thing happened me couple months ago was sick lost 6lbs and the following week lost a half...stick with it and hopefully u can prevent a gain nxt week..!!

Queencake i make alot of the WW recipes from the website and i also bought the weekdays WW cookbook i think there brill good quick recipes ya no!!

WI is later...dunnno what to think had a good enough week but ya jus never no do ya :D:... shall check in laters!! xx

Hi guys
    I missed WI last night, I had to bring a supplier back to the airport and then 2 hours of work from the sofa at home. That has been the story since Christmas missing about every second week with work. Year end and I'm in sales so the stress is awful.
    I'll just contine this week and hopefully be fine for next week. Nothing special this week, as far as I know so can be good all 7 days :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Well done to everyone who's had good WIs so far this week!

I had mine night and was down 3lbs, which I was very happy about :) Was eating very well but haven't been doing much exercise; I've a very bad knee so can't go for long walks but have an exercise bike which I go on a few times a week, but am so unfit that can't last for very long! Am trying to build myself up at it. Have started taking small steps such as walking to the bank or the post office while I'm at work instead of taking the car, and parking further away from the door when I'm going shopping! I know it's not much but it all helps! Have exams coming up next week so after them I hope to take swimming back up. Have membership in National Aquatic Centre but it's up in July so want to make the most of it!

My boyfriend started last night too. He was told he only needs to lose a stone, because he's quite well-built, but he wants to lose closer to 2. He's put on weight from being out of work but he's starting a new job in July and is only going to do WW until then as he figures once he gets back to work he'll have no problem keeping the weight off, as it's all physical work. It's his birthday this weekend so will have to be careful with the celebrating!

Best of luck to everyone who has WIs later in the week. Jwacqui, your weight loss was amazing this week, well done! Just try and keep going as normal this week, if you stay the same, 6.5lbs in 2 weeks is still brilliant!

Queencake, you should try the WW Ireland website, I've got some amazing recipes off that, including chicken curry, fish & chips, beef skewers....some really yummy stuff! Also, if you just google Weight Watchers recipes, there are loads of sites where people have put up their own recipes and have pointed them. A lot of them are American ones so the measurements are a bit different, and I think their points system is slightly different, but you still get good ideas off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 lmb

Another newbie here! Started last Thurs (bad idea as had communion @ weekend with lots of food & drink which started Fri & finished on Sun)

Starting weight is 12st 12.5lb ( was shocked as my scales showed 12.8 which was bad enough)

Have been very good since Mon morning and WI is 2morrow night so will do update!

Can I ask for a tip - this morning I had 2no. weetabix (dribble of milk & mainly water on it) & sliced banana but I feel starved & stomach rumbling - what do people find is the most filling to have for breakfast?

Have brown pitta bread & tons of salad & slice of ham chilling in fridge with my name on it!

• Advertisement

Hi Imb I find porridge most filling it can keep me going til lunch. I get the one for the microwave as you use a little spoon that's in it to measure out 2 scoops so you know what you're getting. Also I find if I cut out the dairy altogether I get hungrier, so skimmed milk, (calcium needed too) don't bother watering it down.
    I've also found nuts to be the most filling snack, I know they have points and need to be eaten sparingly but a small handful of almonds, about 10 or 12 satisfies me and stops me picking.
    Keep your 0 point soup in the fridge it is a life saver. Just track everything, including snacks and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nuim

god ...im really starting w.w. today .setting two stone as my goal. what are people advising to eat for dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all Ive been on boards for a while now and have only just found this thread!!!
    been on WW for about 2 months now and have managed to lose a stone so far starting weight was 13st 5lbs now 12st 5lbs,so happy with that but lately ive been so busy havent been making my meetings i know ive missed past three weeks and will have to rejoin now, but have managed to stay the same weight on my scales at home! want to get to between 11st and 11st 7lbs so still a few lbs to go!!!!!

was thinking of trying it on my own now has anyone actcullay stuck to their points and not gone to meetings and managed to keep losing???

have taking up walking three times a week and am starting aqua aerobics on mondays and wednesdays. does anyone do aqua aerobics? how do you find it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MIDWIFEnTRAININ

1lbAtaTime wrote: »
    Hey All, sounds like everyone is doing well. My good bank holiday weekend paid off and I was down 4.5lbs this week (after being up 3 the week before) so I was delighted with that altogether. I had set a mini goal for myself to loose 5 lbs by the bank hol w/e in june and for the first week I was up 3 so then it was 8lbs in 4 weeks but with a great weigh in on Thurs I am back on track for achieving my mini goal which will also be my 4th Stone.....yeaaahhh. I am so determined at the mo. I ususally have take away and dessert after weigh in but this week I had a healthy dinner and went to aerobics instead. I've been out walking today and had a good day so far.

Well done Jwacqui, great achievement :)
    ShellyBelly, definitely on the right path for you mini goal for June.
    MIDWIFEinTRAINING, dont dwell on the week, it is so hard to be good when you are trying to do exams. Keep the chin up

Thanks a mill 1lb at a time!! think im goin to WI 2mo. hows every1 doin this week?? welcome to all the new comers :)

Had an ok week dunno wat to expect from WI. if im up i jus dunno wat im gonna do. strugglin real bad , the scales is a demon!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 princess00

Hi all Ive been on boards for a while now and have only just found this thread!!!
    been on WW for about 2 months now and have managed to lose a stone so far starting weight was 13st 5lbs now 12st 5lbs,so happy with that but lately ive been so busy havent been making my meetings i know ive missed past three weeks and will have to rejoin now, but have managed to stay the same weight on my scales at home! want to get to between 11st and 11st 7lbs so still a few lbs to go!!!!!

was thinking of trying it on my own now has anyone actcullay stuck to their points and not gone to meetings and managed to keep losing???

have taking up walking three times a week and am starting aqua aerobics on mondays and wednesdays. does anyone do aqua aerobics? how do you find it???

Hi All, another newbie!!

I joined ww 7 weeks ago for the third time in my life, I have never stuck past 7 pounds before and I am now only 4 lbs away from my stone!!! I cant wait to get that little glass stone hee hee, I have 2.5 stones to lose alltogether to get back into my skinny jeans and mountains of size 10 clothes that are hanging in my wardrobe! So this time I am determined to do it!

Itsallaboutme, I would recommend you stay with the meetings as that is always what happened to me, Id lose my silver seven then try go it alone and would put it all back on and more, there's nothing like a public weekly weigh in to keep you motivated, its too easy to cheat when you have noone to face up to! also I walk about 2-3 times and week and do aqua aerobivs on a wednesday and I find the aqua great, you get out what you put in and its great for toning!

Anyway its great to join this forum for tips and support!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 princess00

nuim wrote: »
    god ...im really starting w.w. today .setting two stone as my goal. what are people advising to eat for dinner?

Hi Nuim,

I have 2.5 to lose, have just lost 10 lbs in 7 weeks, I've been having some of the following for dinners:

Grilled chicken breast, 3 baby potatoes, broccolli, cauliflower and gravy

Pasta with ham, mushrooms and sauce made from light philadelphia blended with skimmed milk & fresh chopped parsley

Chicken & veg stir fry with chinese five spice powder (0) & soy sauce and egg noodles

Grilled/bbq fillet steak, baby potatoes/butternut squash chips, salad

Aldi battered haddock fillets (3.5) with salad or potatoes

homemade pizza for 8 points, I put the recipe on the "how many points in" thread

meatballs (turkey mince) with tomato sauce & spaghetti

vegetable lasagne, using philadelphia sauce as above as cheese sauce & low low grated on top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

Welcome to all those posting for the first time.

Well done to all those who have lost this week.

1st week over ( again) down only one pound, twas tough this time round but I'm glad I stuck it out, looking forward to nxt week hoping it will be easier.
    As I'm doing this at home I decided to invest in a new scales, had been using one of those big doctors room scales, so I invested in a digital scales, shock and horror. the new weighs 8 lbs heavier than the old one, am telling you that took a bit of adjusting to.

Good luck to all for the coming week, hopfully the sunshine will be an added inspiration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭1lbAtaTime

Evening all, So many newbies hard to keep track!!! The more the merrier though so welcome.
    My week isn't going quite as well as last week and I am a little nervous about weigh in tomorrow. The saving grace for me might be that I have actually done some exercise this week which I haven't really been doing for the last while. Time will tell I guess.

Jwacqui I hope you are feeling better. 6.5 is a fantastic loss in 1 week, just have a normal week this week and try not to be disappointed if you do stay the same. I have been sick twice earlier in the year and both times I dragged myself out of bed to go to my weigh ins and was down 4lbs both times but it really wasnt a solid weight loss and I did find the following week tough going because remember you are still in recovery mode so your body is probably craving all the things it needs to get back to tip top shape :)

Good luck everyone with weigh ins tomorrow.

Welcome to all of the new posters im sure ya will fine the thread very supportive during your weight loss journey.

I went to WI yday and after a good week or so I thought I stayed the same..it was very disheartening to say the least! The leader pointed out that i may be saving too many points in relation to the amount of exercise im doing. So this week gonna keep the gym up and not save as many and see where that leaves me...this ever happen to anyone before?

However iv spend the whole nite vomitting and have a tummy bug..Not a good feeling at all...doesn leave me in a great position for ww but hopefully it will pass over the 24hrs. Heres hoping anyways..

Still have two more WIs for my mini goal so perhaps its still achievable..

Best of luck to everyone WI today... Well done again to the LOSERS :D

Good luck with week again...i really need it myself :) xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Skinny Minnie

Hi Guys

This is my first time posting - was delighted to find this! I have been at ww for about 8 months now and have managed to loose 2 stone (very proud of myself!) I have 7lb to go to goal but am finding it HUGELY difficult. Still doing all the same stuff, tracking religiously and increasing my exercise but its getting harder to shift those last few pounds. Has anybody any advise to keep me on the right track.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement