Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    A girl in our class this week was telling us that it has taken her nearly two years to loss 4Stone 9lbs and she still has a good bit to go. She was getting a bit disheartened so the leader gave her a heart sticker to remind her not to lose heart - it was a nice touch. I think a lot of ppl are finding it very slow, but the leader reckons that the slower the better. That's what I'm believing anyway. She also said you should set goals! So I'm setting a goal of being at my next target of 10Stone 2lbs by my birthday (six weeks from today) - it's a loss of 6.5lb!

fun little experiment.....who here has a tub of butter/margaine/flora ect in the fridge......average tub is 500g....

1lb = 450g..... which is just under a full tub of butter.....
    butter has similar consistency to our lovely fat we're trying to lose

every time we lose 1lb...thats 1lb thats nearly a tub of butter we've lost from our bums/tums/thighs ect :P

2lbs is nearly a 1KG bag of sugar :P

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

hey everyone,

I was just reading through all the posts and have noticed alot of people are find their weight loss slow, I was just wondering how much fruit everyone is eating a day?

I dunno but I may be on to something lol, with the old points system you had to point your fruit as it contains sugars etc but with the pro points its 0 points.

maybe if you have been eating alot of fruit try cutting back maybe only have 2 - 3 bananas a week instead of eating them every day and maybe only have like 2 - 3 other peices of fruit a day. just a thought but it could be slowing people down..

Oh I tried that tilda rice tonight its really nice but can someone tell me is it 2 pp for 60g cooked or dry?

hope you all have a good weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    fun little experiment.....who here has a tub of butter/margaine/flora ect in the fridge......average tub is 500g....

1lb = 450g..... which is just under a full tub of butter.....
    butter has similar consistency to our lovely fat we're trying to lose

every time we lose 1lb...thats 1lb thats nearly a tub of butter we've lost from our bums/tums/thighs ect :P

2lbs is nearly a 1KG bag of sugar :P

Our leader has a great thing at our meetings it's a bag of 10lbs of fat broken up into half pound bars, so you can pick it up and it really feel how much it weighs. Any time someone gets to 10lbs lost, she makes sure they feel the weight of it to encourage them to keep going.

kateos2 wrote: »
    Our leader has a great thing at our meetings it's a bag of 10lbs of fat broken up into half pound bars, so you can pick it up and it really feel how much it weighs. Any time someone gets to 10lbs lost, she makes sure they feel the weight of it to encourage them to keep going.

I've lost about 35lbs so far which is about 15kg...we have some weights here at home...its kinda scary when i picked up the 15kg weight....its like OMG i used to carry this around 24/7.....cant have been good for my heart....

a number is a number....but to actually physcially be able to relate that number to something you can pick up in your hands....kinda motivates ya...my ass is 35tubs of butter smaller!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SAexpat

Have been really good for the last few days but today ... went into town with my daughter and her friend, they wanted pizza ...so we ended up sharing a large pizza from Papa John's in supermax -
    I had 3 pieces of ham pizza, cant find the nutrional values on their website, any one have any idea how many points ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    A girl in our class this week was telling us that it has taken her nearly two years to loss 4Stone 9lbs and she still has a good bit to go. She was getting a bit disheartened so the leader gave her a heart sticker to remind her not to lose heart - it was a nice touch. I think a lot of ppl are finding it very slow, but the leader reckons that the slower the better. That's what I'm believing anyway. She also said you should set goals! So I'm setting a goal of being at my next target of 10Stone 2lbs by my birthday (six weeks from today) - it's a loss of 6.5lb!

Thanks everyone for the supportive tips. They have really cheered me up :)

I have set myself a mini goal (it's a rather big one though, but it is keeping me focused) is to get to 50lbs lost, you get a certificate and all :) 15.5lbs to go and had originally penned it in for end of April. But definitely think end of May is more achievable now. When I hit that, I am going to treat myself to some new summer clothes :) Can't wait!! :D By then, hopefully, I might fit into some clothes in the normal shops (the largest sizes but albeit normal shops) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Kenevil wrote: »
    hey everyone,

I was just reading through all the posts and have noticed alot of people are find their weight loss slow, I was just wondering how much fruit everyone is eating a day?

I dunno but I may be on to something lol, with the old points system you had to point your fruit as it contains sugars etc but with the pro points its 0 points.

maybe if you have been eating alot of fruit try cutting back maybe only have 2 - 3 bananas a week instead of eating them every day and maybe only have like 2 - 3 other peices of fruit a day. just a thought but it could be slowing people down..

Oh I tried that tilda rice tonight its really nice but can someone tell me is it 2 pp for 60g cooked or dry?

hope you all have a good weekend :D

Hiya, I don't actually eat that much fruit. I would have a banana with a WW yoghurt at my morning break every day in work and then maybe the odd orange (not every day though) and some weekends I have a smoothie. Maybe I will have different fruit with my morning break for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 newtorunning

Hi, can anyone help me or offer advice, i've totally fallen off the wagon and cannot seem to get back on at all, really depressed tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Monife wrote: »
    Hiya, I don't actually eat that much fruit. I would have a banana with a WW yoghurt at my morning break every day in work and then maybe the odd orange (not every day though) and some weekends I have a smoothie. Maybe I will have different fruit with my morning break for a while.

MMmmm maybe try the tins of fruit in juice drained mixed with you yoghurt i think you can get small tins and with bananas have the kids size ones.

I don't even know if it would work but its worth a try

Hi, can anyone help me or offer advice, i've totally fallen off the wagon and cannot seem to get back on at all, really depressed tonight :(

what kinda foods do you like to eat? what are your weaknesses?
    I can look up some recipes on the ww site for ya....might help ya to see that you can enjoy the foods you love and still be on ww...

i'm a paid member on ww uk site, so i have access to there date base of reicipes...and there are 1000s of them

Thats what gets me back on track...when i have my nose dives off the wagon...
    like at the moment i'm totally excited about stupid lmarninades...but they've jazzed up my boring bland chicken points without being unhealthy...

• Advertisement

Hi, its like if i'm in bad form or feeling like i can't be bothered then i'll have crisps or chocolate and "start tomorrow" cos then at least i can eat the crisps and chocolate and i dunno, maybe i think tomorrow will be different and then it isn't?? i'm not making much sense am i?

Maybe just try and and go from meal to meal...rather than day to day....or week to week....so you have a less than perfect breakfast, you can redeam your self with lunch...rather than redeeming your self the next day,

schedule an evening sugary snack...so you dont have a feeling of "oh crap now that i have dinner finished...i have nothing left" ....use your weeklies maybe devide your weeklies by 7 and add them onto your dailies, to give your self a bigger daily budget to allow points for snacks

The strawberries in shops at the moment are so juicy and sweet...and 0pp
    i'm not a big fruit person but had a few earlier while making dinner

Curly wurlys are 3pp
    Velvet crunch are 2pp
    Hartleys Sugar free jelly sachets...it make a big bowl of jelly 0pp
    Aldi Low Cal Mint or Orange Hot Chocolate 1pp per sachet

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mcb81

Smoked Haddock on Potato Pancakes 7pp/serving
    Serves 2

2 x 125g smoked haddock fillets
    Salt and pepper

250g peeled potatoes, cut into chunks
    25g plain flour
    50ml hot skimmed milk
    Freshly grated nutmeg
    2 egg whites
    Low fat cooking spray

2 tbsp half fat crème fraiche
    1 tsp Dijon mustard

• Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes for about 15 mins until tender, then mash in a large bowl and leave to cool slightly.
    • Mix in the flour, milk and seasoning, and a little grated nutmeg. Whisk the egg whites until stiff then fold gently into the mixture.
    • Heat a large, non stick frying pan and spray with the cooking spray. Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, flip over with a palette knife and cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden. Set aside on a plate and keep warm while you cook the remaining mixture (making 10 pancakes altogether).
    • Meanwhile, preheat the grill. Lay the haddock fillets on a piece of foil on the grill pan. Season and spray with the cooking spray. Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through.
    • Make the sauce by stirring together both the ingredients.
    • Divide the potato pancakes between the 2 serving plates. Add a smoked haddock fillet and some of the sauce to each plate.

Marbled vanilla and coffee cake 4pp/slices
    Makes 12 slices

100g low fat spread
    100g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    175g self raising flour
    3 tbsp skimmed milk
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    3 tbsp strong black coffee

100g low fat soft cheese
    1 tsp strong black coffee
    2 tbsp artificial sweetener

• Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 / 190C / fan oven 170C. Line a 20cm (8”) round cake tin with non stick baking parchment.
    • Cream together the low fat spread and sugar until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Sift in the flour into the mixture and fold it in thoroughly using a metal spoon.
    • Divide the mixture between two bowls. Mix the skimmed milk and vanilla essence into one bowl and the coffee into the other.
    • Drop alternating spoonfuls of the mixture into the prepared tin, dragging a skewer through the mixture to blend them into one another. Bake for 30-35 mins, until the cake is well risen and springy to the touch.
    • Carefully remove the cake from the tin and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
    • To decorate, beat the sot cheese with the coffee and the sweetener and spread it over the surface, using a fork to make a pattern on the top.

You're bored. Frustrated. Exasperated. Tired. Just too busy to even think of trying to lose weight. You want to quit.

Don't despair. You've reached the point in your weight loss journey that really, truly determines whether or not you're going to get to your goal and stay there. Now it's up to you.

"Most people trying to lose weight go through periods when they're discouraged," says Dr. Howard Rankin, psychologist and author of Inspired to Lose (Step Wise Press, 2001). "One of the factors that distinguishes people who are successful from people who aren't is that people who are successful quit for a day or so, then get back on. Unsuccessful people quit and give up for good."

Quit or Keep Going: It's Up to You

Picture yourself standing at a fork in the road toward your weight loss goals. Go one way, and you're off track completely. The longer you keep going that way, the harder it will be to get back to where you were.

Or choose to keep going and make it to your goals that much quicker. But that's much easier said than done, right? Not with the right tools. Consider these suggestions from Rankin and from Palma Posillico, general manager of training and development for Weight Watchers International:

Expect it, says Rankin. Wanting to give up is normal. And if you plan for what to do when quitting crosses your mind, you'll be more likely to decide to stick with it.

Get a move on motivation. If you feel like giving up and want to give your efforts a boost, says Posillico, try using Visualise a Better Body, a powerful tool from Weight Watchers Motivate Me. Picture yourself at your ultimate goal weight — how does it feel? Spend a few minutes each day imagining what it will be like

One message board user says she looked at Weight Watchers Success Stories for motivation. "I would visualise myself in their place. I thought of what my pictures would look like, what 'tips' I would share." Try it.

Eliminate the word 'quit' from your vocabulary. Perhaps instead of 'quitting', you're deciding to maintain the weight you've already lost, just for a little while, until you get your motivation back. "Learning to maintain along the way is a very successful strategy," says Posillico.

Don't let plateaus put you off. Another user says: "I almost quit when I was still a few pounds over my weight loss goal. A lot of resentment grew between me and the scale."

If your weight loss has slowed or even stopped, despite what feels like your best efforts, keep at it. Think back to the goals you set yourself when you first joined Weight Watchers. "The thing that kept me going and striving to lose those last few pounds (and it took me months)," says the user from above, "was that I wanted to be a Gold Member."

Figure out what's worked in the past. Look through your Journal or trackers at weeks that have worked for you - what did you do? This week, focus only on the task of repeating what you did that week. See if it works again.

Try some new meal Ideas. If you're bored with eating the same foods, or sick of figuring out food plan-friendly options, New meal ideas are a great way to tuck in without deliberation.

Thanks, it's good to get some advice. and the whole thing about having that little treat etc probably is what i need to do. I defo think a new attitude and a good brisk walk tomorrow are needed!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Eeeekk had a bit of a bad day. Was going grand until about 7 and then the boredom of being stuck in on a Friday kicked in and ate everything around me :mad: Not too worried about it as I'm determined to get back on track. Have planned my meals for tomorrow and going to try and get 2 walks in as I've a lot of college work to do this weekend so not going out tomorrow night.

I'm also kinda thinking of cheating on my WI this week. Our leader is away so we have a stand-in leader so I'm thinking of trying another class in the area. I've wanted to do this for a while as I'd like to see what they're like but I like my leader. I normally WI on Weds evening but I'm thinking of being cheeky and WI on Tues morning in another class so that way I can enjoy pancake Tues with no guilt :D I love pancakes and we only ever have them once a year so don't really want to miss out on it! Is this really bad?

Thanks, it's good to get some advice. and the whole thing about having that little treat etc probably is what i need to do. I defo think a new attitude and a good brisk walk tomorrow are needed!!!!

and we've ALL been there.....every single one of us....and we will al be there again one point another several times over....its human nature...

Maybe track your days in advance, I tend to track the night before...so i kinda have pretty good idea of what i'm having for breakfast, lunch, dinner, roughly...

if your feeling excessivly tired and reaching for sugary foods for a pick me up...try to make sure your getting enough sleep and water :) when i'm tired...i will eat my self out of house and home....(i've had a full loaf of bread as toast in one sitting on more than one occassion) Maybe try a multivitamin to give your body that pick me up.

I think i use this place to distraction from the fridge :P LOL This is like a 24/7 weight watchers meeting LOL

Eabhabear wrote: »
    Eeeekk had a bit of a bad day. Was going grand until about 7 and then the boredom of being stuck in on a Friday kicked in and ate everything around me :mad: Not too worried about it as I'm determined to get back on track. Have planned my meals for tomorrow and going to try and get 2 walks in as I've a lot of college work to do this weekend so not going out tomorrow night.

I'm also kinda thinking of cheating on my WI this week. Our leader is away so we have a stand-in leader so I'm thinking of trying another class in the area. I've wanted to do this for a while as I'd like to see what they're like but I like my leader. I normally WI on Weds evening but I'm thinking of being cheeky and WI on Tues morning in another class so that way I can enjoy pancake Tues with no guilt :D I love pancakes and we only ever have them once a year so don't really want to miss out on it! Is this really bad?

Nah sure your still going to your weigh in...its not cheating at all....GO FOR IT!
    ww is an on going process and way of life its not a week long diet...the weekly weigh ins are just "checking in on your progress"
    your just checking in a day early...

Thanks Lady Lainy, your flying with all the advice tonight! think i might log onto this more often, reading some of the posts does help. thanks

all i can do is speak from personal experience...and hope my slips and tumbles off the wagon can help others stay on there wagon...i think i learn from other peoples slips too...

and its kinda nice knowing that other people slip and fall off track...that i'm not a freak or a failure....it cant be failure if it happens to us all...

• Advertisement

Thanks Lady Lainy, your flying with all the advice tonight! think i might log onto this more often, reading some of the posts does help. thanks

I agree with Lainy. We all definitely fall off track at some stage or feel demotivated after a WI. This is the place to come if that happens to you. There will always be help and support here :) It's also great to share your losses as well which is just as important!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Hi all, had a crappy two days foodwise and no exercise.
    It was my sis bday yesterday and we had a little cake but there was also
    Pringles and roses. Of course I kept Picking! But I paid the price last night with awful tummy cramps that kept me awake half the night!
    I've noticed that I can tolerate too much crap anymore, which is a good thing but it still doesn't stop me.
    Have to work for a little while today but going to do some food shopping afterwards because were slipping back into our old ways.
    Hope everyone has a good wkend.

Down 1.6lbs DELIGHTED!

I was terrified it was going to get stuck and stay the same or worse....go up after i had those two weeks of massive loss's!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Congratulations. Makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it. Good luck with next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Well done!!

Does anyone know how many points are in a can of bulmers light?

@lady Lainy, are you still making the Thai green curry tonight?

misslt wrote: »
    Well done!!

Does anyone know how many points are in a can of bulmers light?

@lady Lainy, are you still making the Thai green curry tonight?

Oh yes! and i cant wait :D:D:D

500ml Can bulmurs light is 5pp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

Eabhabear wrote: »

I'm also kinda thinking of cheating on my WI this week. Our leader is away so we have a stand-in leader so I'm thinking of trying another class in the area. I've wanted to do this for a while as I'd like to see what they're like but I like my leader. I normally WI on Weds evening but I'm thinking of being cheeky and WI on Tues morning in another class so that way I can enjoy pancake Tues with no guilt :D I love pancakes and we only ever have them once a year so don't really want to miss out on it! Is this really bad?[/QUOTE

Oh go for it! Leader in templeogue is very good if your looking for a meeting on the southside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    Oh yes! and i cant wait :D:D:D

500ml Can bulmurs light is 5pp

Good luck with the Thai green curry, let us know how you get on!

I've a ball tonight, THANK GOD FOR WEEKLY POINTS is all I will say :D

Well done Lainy. It's great to be down especially when you think you might be up :)

Thanks for the suggestion Boxoff. I'll give that class a try on Tuesday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭shanasue

hi everyone, havent been on for a wee while, it'll take me ages to catch up!!
    I missed last weeks WI and most of my exercise, tried to be careful but ended up having pizza 2 nights in a row! only good thing was seeing people I haven seen in ages and getting loads of compliments...guess thats what made me slip, " you look great...have some pizza!!!" FECK the mind does really play tricks....back home and in to my routine now but have to go make chocolate cake for my nephew's first birthday now!! HELP!!! lots of exercise before next Wed WI i guess, at least the weather is nicer now more incentive to get out and moving....says she sitting on the couch on her laptop :D
    its great to be able to come on here and vent or confess!! thanks:)
    keep up the good work everyone x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement