Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

Ah that's great, that's exactly the kind of leader you need!

Your old leader sounds really like the one I had been going to!
    If you were up a week, even if it was just half a pound or something, she'd say "back to basics now!".
    Eh, there are lots of reasons you can be up a little bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah exactly, she was very patronising!

The only problem with having a male leader is that when it's my TOTM and I don't have a good week, I feel too embarrrassed to tell him that's the reason why :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Oh god girls, I feel your pain. I think I have just had the worst week ever since I joined - including Christmas!
    I have been exercising and drinking Plenty but its the food and drink I'm worried about.
    I resisted take-away on sun night and made the WW chicken curry instead, but when I was doing the weekly shop yesterday I picked up a bag of fruit salad and black jack sweets and ate about half the bag. I'd say I've put in three or four pounds over the wkend. So annoyed but I had a great weekend, and it will be onwards and downwards from here.

I think everyone needs a blowout every so often. Otherwise you'd just get completely fed up of the whole thing and give up.
    At least you know you can start back again fresh!

I quit WW for 2 months around christmastime.
    I was starting to get a bit fed up of it (had been at it for 9 months) and felt I needed a break.
    But in January I got right back into it and I'm losing weight again.
    I know that if I hadn't taken the break I may have quit by now, which would have been such a waste!

I think everyone needs to do whatever works for them.
    I find if I have a pigout week then I do much better the following week out of guilt! ;)

Yeah exactly, she was very patronising!

The only problem with having a male leader is that when it's my TOTM and I don't have a good week, I feel too embarrrassed to tell him that's the reason why :pac:

I put a little star on the sheet beside the weeks that are my TOTM and it doesn't seem to impact my weight loss at all. But I guess everyone is different!

My weight loss seems to come in 2 week cycles so I think maybe I should be looking at the week after to see if it affects me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

i've had a horrible weekend foodwise and like someone else posted this is worse than Christmas i even lost weight at Christmas,,home from trip away since sunday but still in holiday mode,,child home from school sick past 2 days and all i'm thinking of is nice things for us to eat:rolleyes: was good all day yesterday till hubby came in from work and i sat down and ate chocolate,,then i had some chocolate oh and i had chocoalate and a hot chocolate,,oh dear god help me:cool:

Don't dwell on it too much.
    A couple of bad days does not undo all the work you've done up to this point.

If that was the case then everyone in the world would be fat!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nic79

hi,

lainey cant wait to try some of those lovely recipies :)

i have a quick question for ye who have leaders..roughly how many points of exercise should i be clocking up in a week? sometimes i think im doing great but then i wonder should i be doing more..a good week would be 14-17 pts does that sound ok? now other weeks i might only do 7pts worth.

still have 14lbs to goal, really fell off the bandwagon for few weeks, stopped pointing for about 3 weeks and gained 6lbs :(

I don't point my exercise at all. I think it might be better that way, although if I've gone over my pp for some reason (which doesn't happen often) I will use a couple of exercise points towards it.

Someone posted a while back that there is max of exercise points per week but I hadn't heard of that and I don't know what it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I asked my leader about the exercise when I started because in the old system, they recommended that by the time you got to goal, you'd be working up something nuts like 26 activity points a week. She said that for propoints, there were no guidelines like that because theoretically you don't need to exercise to lose weight. She said to not be thinking that everyone is doing loads of exercise because they are not, a walk a day should be sufficient or more if you are up to it.

For myself, my activity varies from week to week and how tired I feel. I try to do a least 30mins, three or four times a week, and I never eat my activity points, but I do mark them on my tracker because it makes me feel good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Just bac frm my WI and week1day1 of c25k!!

Down 8LBS!!!!! And i dont think alot of that was to do with the stomaxh bug i had yesterday because i may have had a sneaky peak at the scales yesterday morning *cough cough* and it wasnt far off my weight this morn!! Im thrilled but im gona have to be xtra carful i dont put it bac on this week!!! I did drink feck loadsa water this week,realy made the effort and it looks like it paid off!!!

Got home and realised i forgot to pick up a tracker, hate when i do that cuase ther so handy!!

On the c25k just wondering how people point it cause the running iz deff high intensity but walking only moderate....should i just call it 30 mins of moderate?? Feeling realy good After it, will do it again On friday

thanks girls, i dont use my exercise points either... but i do like to see them clock up, it motivates me :)

shoelover 26pts is crazy :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

nic79 wrote: »
    shoelover 26pts is crazy :eek:

Yeah, it's probably why when I got to goal, I couldn't stick with it. I think you would have had to be doing an hour of high intensity a day to earn that. So it was probably that and a combination of getting p'd off at having only 20pts for a day and not being able to have so much as a banana without feeling guilty! Propoints suits me so much better. Weight loss is slower but it's not on my mind 24/7 like the old system was :)

I don't mind that WW says you don't need to exercise to lose weight, I do however find that I have lots of leftover flab so I think for this to be a total weightloss program that WW should give SOME guidance to people on toning up as they lose weight!

dammitj wrote: »
    I don't mind that WW says you don't need to exercise to lose weight, I do however find that I have lots of leftover flab so I think for this to be a total weightloss program that WW should give SOME guidance to people on toning up as they lose weight!

that is my biggest problem dammitj, after 2 babies, lots of flab!! ww should be guiding people on making sure they tone as they lose as its bloody hard to tighten up the flab:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭colliewobbles

Yeah that's definitely not good!

I don't like my leader as she's not particularly nice or encouraging to me, only to her little favourites, pathetic really!
    I've lost 2 stone 9lbs now and I don't think she's ever really said "Well done!" One time she said I was a great tryer.
    ???

She's no good at giving positive advice, only warning us of the DANGERS of certain foods. She'd nearly scare you into eating only fruit!
    :D

This is the exact same as my leader Dammitj, i've lost a total of 31lbs and she still hasn't said well done to me, I was a bit all over the place before Christmas, up & down but since Christmas I've really pushed myself and 2 weeks ago she said to me, you seem to be getting into now. HELLLOOOOOOO 31lbs and it's only now i'm getting in the programme !!! Total deflated sitting there waiting for her to start the meeting so she could say well done to everyone bar me..... so fricking frustrating.
    nic79 wrote: »
    that is my biggest problem dammitj, after 2 babies, lots of flab!! ww should be guiding people on making sure they tone as they lose as its bloody hard to tighten up the flab:mad:

I haven't had any babies nic79 and I have flab, more so on my stomach area, even sits ups don't seem to get rid of it.
    I have the WW pedometer which is great to tell you what activity points you have built up, but I often forget to put it on and then have to guess. Don't use my exercise points at all, i even forget to write them down, might start to do this to motivate me to exercise momre:)

DREADING my wi this evening, in the past week, Sat and yesterday were my only good days, every other day was a complete disaster, can't wait to wi for a new week to begin. I'll be up on the scales tonight and will get no encouragement or motivation from my leader that tmw is a new day, new week. I live in the country so tuesdays suit me otherwise I'd have to travel miles to wi and think this would turn me off going, but would LOVE a new leader.

Good luck to all weighing in over the coming days.

D

This is the exact same as my leader Dammitj, i've lost a total of 31lbs and she still hasn't said well done to me, I was a bit all over the place before Christmas, up & down but since Christmas I've really pushed myself and 2 weeks ago she said to me, you seem to be getting into now. HELLLOOOOOOO 31lbs and it's only now i'm getting in the programme !!! Total deflated sitting there waiting for her to start the meeting so she could say well done to everyone bar me..... so fricking frustrating.

I haven't had any babies nic79 and I have flab, more so on my stomach area, even sits ups don't seem to get rid of it.
    I have the WW pedometer which is great to tell you what activity points you have built up, but I often forget to put it on and then have to guess. Don't use my exercise points at all, i even forget to write them down, might start to do this to motivate me to exercise momre:)

DREADING my wi this evening, in the past week, Sat and yesterday were my only good days, every other day was a complete disaster, can't wait to wi for a new week to begin. I'll be up on the scales tonight and will get no encouragement or motivation from my leader that tmw is a new day, new week. I live in the country so tuesdays suit me otherwise I'd have to travel miles to wi and think this would turn me off going, but would LOVE a new leader.

Good luck to all weighing in over the coming days.

D

Hah! The cheek of her saying you're "getting into it"!
    Our leader was all over this one a few months ago coz she got to goal.
    She only had to lose like 12lbs to get to her goal weight, and I was sitting there after losing something like 25lbs thinking it was so unfair!!

I have no kids either, but I put on a LOT of weight around my middle. I have a big horrible spare tyre that's getting a bit smaller but it's still wobbly and I have to exercise it. I just don't know the best way to go about it so end up looking stuff up on the internet.
    But surely stuff like this is also what we pay WW for?

Who wants to be thin with a load of horrible flab hanging off??

(what a horrible image -lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Danii86 wrote: »
    Just bac frm my WI and week1day1 of c25k!!

Down 8LBS!!!!! And i dont think alot of that was to do with the stomaxh bug i had yesterday because i may have had a sneaky peak at the scales yesterday morning *cough cough* and it wasnt far off my weight this morn!! Im thrilled but im gona have to be xtra carful i dont put it bac on this week!!! I did drink feck loadsa water this week,realy made the effort and it looks like it paid off!!

:eek: WOW that's fantastic. I think I might start the c25k as I think I need to shake up my exercise. Also my friend wants me to do the mini-marathon with her. Has anyone done it before? How did ye find it?

Well done to everyone else who lost and to those of you who gained keep at it. It'll be worth it in the long run :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I've been down this road before. And from what I have gleaned from books, TV, internet and experience is the following:

If you have a flabby belly you have three distinct and separate issues:
    Excess Fat.
    Stretched skin.
    Untoned Muscle (usually, not always).

Priority should be (again, from what I personally understand) burning off the excess fat initially (by cardio exercise - walking, cycling etc).

As you lose fat, then look after the condition of your skin with creams etc to help with retaining any elasticity thats left in it.

As you near your goal, say within a stone, focus on ALSO toning up the muscles (doing sit ups, crunches etc).

Unfortunately, by doing all of the above, you are not guaranteed a washboard stomach. Loose skin is common in skin that has lost some of its elasticity, through the normal aging process for example. Or some young people just have poor skin quality which just tears as it grows (stretch marks) and doesn't shrink well back into place after pregnancy or weight gain.

If anyone thinks I'm talking waffle, please by all means correct me!

I'm certain what you're saying is true.

I have upped the exercise on me poor oul belly (the things I've put it through over the years) but it's not making much of a dent in it yet ... fingers crossed it will help though.

I'm not looking for a perfect tum, but I would like to be able to wear a top/dress without it all sticking out! Really knocks your confidence, especially when you've lost weight!

Thanks for all the info!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Eabhabear wrote: »
    :eek: WOW that's fantastic. I think I might start the c25k as I think I need to shake up my exercise. Also my friend wants me to do the mini-marathon with her. Has anyone done it before? How did ye find it?

Well done to everyone else who lost and to those of you who gained keep at it. It'll be worth it in the long run :cool:

Hey Eabha,
    I walked the marathon a few years ago. It was grand, was with my mum and sis and we had a laugh as we walked around. Don't remember being absolutely killed after it or anything, but we did only walk it.
    Good luck if you decide to do it, I think John Treacy (or one of those former international athletes) runs training camps around Dublin now.
    This is the exact same as my leader Dammitj, i've lost a total of 31lbs and she still hasn't said well done to me,

Reading your reports of your leaders, makes me think how lucky I am.
    I have loved my leader from day one. She's an older lady (probably in her 50's) and she's been a leader for a good few years now, but she is so personable. Even in Jan when the meetings were super busy, you could see was really stressed but she still had a smile and a quick chat with her regulars.
    By that I mean, how was your week, your looking well etc, stuff along those lines not a full blown conversation or anything.

On the occassion I can't make that meeting, I go to a meeting in the town where I work. This leader is grand, I suppose I don't go to her that much so I haven't built up much of a relationship. But after she hands out the silver sevens and stones, she always asks who lost a 1lb, 2lb etc etc, so nearly everyone gets a little clap and well done from the rest of the class. Nice idea, I thought.

I have to say around January when I seen the crowds coming to the classes, I was thinking when I get to goal I'm going to become a leader, but I don't think I have the people skills. All I could see at the time was the euro signs, which I know would be the wrong reason to get involved.
    Anyone else ever thought about becoming a leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I hear ya. And some clothess look ok standing up but then when you sit down .... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Had my WI this morning & lost 1.5 lb. Delighted because I usually only lose a half pound. Maybe the extra water instead of the diet coke is kicking in at last. I got a silver seven & my total loss so far is 2.5 stone (that's over the last 4 years when I rejoined after having my last baby). But, I go by my loss since the start of Jan when I rejoined this time, which is 18lbs. According to my ticker, I am now half way through my weight loss - 18 down & 18 to go.

Just to join in the discussion about how much exercise you do - I rarely do any. The odd walk now & then if someone asks me to go with them & only if it's not raining. I probably should do more - it might speed up the weight loss.

And I also have a spare tyre & even when I was at my goal weight in the past, I never lost it (and that was way before any babies came along). So I don't think I will ever be in a bikini, but I don't care. If I'm wearing a tight top/dress, I just wear the hold-me-in underwear out of M&S!

Good luck to everyone with their WIs this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

hubba wrote: »
    I hear ya. And some clothess look ok standing up but then when you sit down .... :eek:

Lol, many a time I've squatted down in a changing room if there was no chair, to see what the clothes will look like when I'm sitting!

Thanks Kildareash. If I do it I'll be walking it. Definitely wouldn't be able to run it. The c25k is more for the weight loss!
    I think you should go for leader. You're always really helpful here and have great advice. I'm considering being a leader if I ever get to goal. Not because of the money (don't even know how much they get paid!) but I think it'd be a great way to maintain the loss and keep motivated!

Well done on your loss fofany :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Thanks Kildareash. If I do it I'll be walking it. Definitely wouldn't be able to run it. The c25k is more for the weight loss!
    I think you should go for leader. You're always really helpful here and have great advice. I'm considering being a leader if I ever get to goal. Not because of the money (don't even know how much they get paid!) but I think it'd be a great way to maintain the loss and keep motivated!

Well done on your loss fofany :)

WW Leaders are self-employed and get a 42.5% commission on the class fees, but then out of that they have to pay rent, insurance, materials, clerk fees, etc. They also get the profit they make from sale of stock but not sure how much the mark up is. You can make a fairly decent income out of it if you have enough classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

kildareash wrote: »
    Reading I have to say around January when I seen the crowds coming to the classes, I was thinking when I get to goal I'm going to become a leader, but I don't think I have the people skills. All I could see at the time was the euro signs, which I know would be the wrong reason to get involved.
    Anyone else ever thought about becoming a leader?
    i've thought about ti too,,i could do so much better than my own leader,,well in my head i could,;),i dont know if i'd have the confidence to stand up there and do it tho:(

WW Leaders are self-employed and get a 42.5% commission on the class fees, but then out of that they have to pay rent, insurance, materials, clerk fees, etc. They also get the profit they make from sale of stock but not sure how much the mark up is. You can make a fairly decent income out of it if you have enough classes.

Thanks for that. I always thought they just got paid by WW! Someone here said before that there were 100 people in her class. Some of the more busier classes must make a huge profit! It's something I'd consider in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Fell off the wagon at the weekend, going to weigh in a day early to face the music! Back on track since yesterday but just want to get weigh in out of the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Thanks for that. I always thought they just got paid by WW! Someone here said before that there were 100 people in her class. Some of the more busier classes must make a huge profit! It's something I'd consider in the future.

I think I was the one that said that there was 100 in my class. It's more like 70 now that the numbers have started to fall away. My leader does loads of classes Mon 2 morning + 3 evening classes, Tue 2 morning classes, Wed 3 evening classes. Anytime I have gone to a different one there has been about 70-100 people there. She is very good & deserves the income (she must be doing very well).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement