Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Just wondering do any of ye lose weight on a weekly basis without exercise? Is there anyone who doesn't do any exercise but loses just by sticking to the points?

I haven't done exercise in the last 2 weeks because of study and probably won't for the coming 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Flurry wrote: »
    Hi!

I'm in week 1 of WW this week. Just wondering....do I need to eat all of my points every day?
    I have 37 points per day, plus my 49 weeklies. I ate the full 37 the first day, due to not having much low point stuff in my fridge.
    However on day 2 and 3 I only ate about 29/30 each day.
    I also still have all my weeklies left.

Should I be eating all of my points?

Also,...is the low calorie spray oil still the best for cooking food? And is it still zero points?

Thanks!

You should definitely try to get as close to your daily allowance as possible. Your body needs to gradually get used to less and less food which happens when your points allowance decreases as your weight goes down. If you are only eating a low amount from the get go your body will get used to it very quickly and losing will become difficult, and also it's less likely you'll stick to the plan. Sometimes I use all my weeklies and sometimes I don't touch them. Some people have mentioned that they have their biggest losses when they use all their weeklies but don't force yourself if you don't want to. Our leader told us that your daily allowance is the most important number for us.
    Eabhabear wrote: »
    Just wondering do any of ye lose weight on a weekly basis without exercise? Is there anyone who doesn't do any exercise but loses just by sticking to the points?

I haven't done exercise in the last 2 weeks because of study and probably won't for the coming 2 weeks.

One of our meetings a while ago was about excercise. Our leader said that excercise will speed up the process and promote fitness, but that you will still lose the weight if you don't excercise. If you stick to your points you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Flurry

Chinafoot wrote: »
    You should definitely try to get as close to your daily allowance as possible. Your body needs to gradually get used to less and less food which happens when your points allowance decreases as your weight goes down. If you are only eating a low amount from the get go your body will get used to it very quickly and losing will become difficult, and also it's less likely you'll stick to the plan. Sometimes I use all my weeklies and sometimes I don't touch them. Some people have mentioned that they have their biggest losses when they use all their weeklies but don't force yourself if you don't want to. Our leader told us that your daily allowance is the most important number for us.

Thanks a million.

I'm going to make more of an effort to eat all of my points from today onwards so. I don't want to start eating junk just to use them up, so I might add points in other ways, like using butter on bread instead of avoiding it altogether, or maybe using low fat mayo instead of the "lighter than light" stuff.

Roll on Tuesday. I'm dying to find out if I have lost anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

I only started back exercising last week. for the last month before that i didnt move. I was studying, had pre's had deadlines in college. and i still lost weight (and i still used my weeklies) I just watched what i ate that bit more and made sure to drink loads of water. I put my water intake into my tracker. I wasn't drinking alcohol either bar that one night out with college.

okay granted i did stay the same this week...but i kinda caved slightly and had a mini binge last night on bread and butter :O my mum got nimble bread!.....WHY WOMAN....YOU KNOW I'M OFF BREAD.....I felt so bloated and heavy this morning!

But that hasn't derailed me! just finished an hour on treadmill! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

izzy24 wrote: »
    blueberry muffins which look amazing and the chocolate ones:) cant wait to try them.. has anyone and whats the verdict?

Tried the blueberry ones, they are nice and great to have because most shop bought muffins start at like 10PP. You can definitely notice they are a lot less sweeter than other muffins but they are nice.
    Lady Lainy wrote: »
    I wonder have i been eating too many potatoes tho. must try and mix things up a little.

I went through a potatoe phase because they are so great value for PP but then I was losing 1/2 pound, gaining it, losing it again so that's when I changed everything up and 1 thing I did was not have potatoes that week, had rice and lost 4lb. Not going to do that all the time but I think a good variety is always better. Going to have rice with one meal this week and baby potatoes with the other (just usually make 2 meals, like a few portions and eat it throughout the week).

Re: portion size with rice and pasta, yes at first 60g does not look like a lot and you think you are going to be starving but if you bulk it up with veg and a good bit of protein, you realise when you are finished that you are full, and the feeling you were feeling before with double that portion was too full if you get me, like the bad full feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Me. I don't get a chance to do much, plus I have a bad back & need to take it easy. I might go for a walk (no more than 2 miles) maybe once/twice a week if someone asks me. I still lose very consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

fofany wrote: »
    Me. I don't get a chance to do much, plus I have a bad back & need to take it easy. I might go for a walk (no more than 2 miles) maybe once/twice a week if someone asks me. I still lose very consistently.

Can I ask would you also eat your weekly's? I have a pretty mad week coming up and doubt I'll make the gym, so just curious as to whether I should eat my weekly's when I won't be exercising..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Just back from the shopping. Bought a BBQ! And 15000 tonnes of food, literally the biggest shop I've ever done. Fridge is full of veg, meat, fruit. Bought grapes and bunged them in the freezer, looking forward to trying them now! Going to have a baked potato with tuna for lunch and steak and BNS chips for dinner. Have a meal plan done for the whole week, going to stick rigidly to it.

Also bought pear picking porky ice lollies, 1pp each :-)

Feeling good about the week ahead, food is all sorted. Just hoping I can get the studying in as good a shape!

Also bought a digital scales, my other ones go in 20g increments and can be hard to read!

m'lady wrote: »
    Can I ask would you also eat your weekly's? I have a pretty mad week coming up and doubt I'll make the gym, so just curious as to whether I should eat my weekly's when I won't be exercising..

Just looked back over my trackers to see how many I used :
    Week 1 -8lbs 0 weeklies (1st week, was very good:D)
    Week 2 +2lbs 0 weeklies (don't know what happened:()
    Week 3 -4lbs 0 weeklies
    Week 4 -0.5lbs 8 weeklies
    Week 5 -1.5lbs 8 weeklies
    Week 6+7 -3lbs 7 weeklies (didn't track 1 of the weeks as was on holiday)
    Week 8 -0.5lbs 23weeklies
    Week 9 -1lbs 22 weeklies
    Week10 -0.5lbs 28 weeklies
    Week11 -1.5lbs 25 weeklies
    Week12 -1.5lbs 32 weeklies
    Week13 -1lbs 20 weeklies
    Week14 -2.5lbs 23 weeklies
    Week15 +1.5lbs 32 weeklies (don't know what happened:()
    Week16 -2lbs 45 weeklies (Over Easter)

Looking back over that, I seem to be using more weeklies as time goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

At the beginning of WW I didn't do much exercise. I now try to fit in 20 mins 4 days a week, the weeks that I don't exercise I don't lose as much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Flurry wrote: »
    Hi!

I'm in week 1 of WW this week. Just wondering....do I need to eat all of my points every day?
    I have 37 points per day, plus my 49 weeklies. I ate the full 37 the first day, due to not having much low point stuff in my fridge.
    However on day 2 and 3 I only ate about 29/30 each day.
    I also still have all my weeklies left.

Should I be eating all of my points?

Also,...is the low calorie spray oil still the best for cooking food? And is it still zero points?

Thanks!

When I started I was on 40 points, found I didn't use all my dailies, but would use maybe 34 or 35, use my weeklies most weeks! I'm on 33 points now and I do eat them all most days or at least 31 of them! I always use the lo-cal cooking spray,think I read here or somewhere else that 10 sprays are 1pp:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭boxoff

Hey folks,

Anbody notice a bita of a mood change with difference in food/eating?

Im having a really good week - off on my easter hols from work so walking every day and eating very well , being very good weight watcher wise. However, Im in a mood all this week and I just cant shift it. Duno what is up with me at all!1 Its not that Im craving anything just in a funny type of mood. Im starting to wonder if its got to do with food (ie being really really good) Im eating brunch, dinner and snacks each day but duno whats up with me at all. Time of month isnt this week either. My poor other half is bearing the blunt of it, bless him hes been very good.

Anyone have a similiar experience?

newbee22 wrote: »
    At the beginning of WW I didn't do much exercise. I now try to fit in 20 mins 4 days a week, the weeks that I don't exercise I don't lose as much!

My leader always said excerise is an 'extra' in weight loss. I wouldnt worry to much about esp when your studying. She recommended 5 30 min walks each week. Maybe aim for two even. Best of luck! j

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

hi can anyone tell me how many pp would be in a slice of luncheon? :) thanks :)

I only started back exercising last week. for the last month before that i didnt move. I was studying, had pre's had deadlines in college. and i still lost weight (and i still used my weeklies) I just watched what i ate that bit more and made sure to drink loads of water. I put my water intake into my tracker. I wasn't drinking alcohol either bar that one night out with college.

okay granted i did stay the same this week...but i kinda caved slightly and had a mini binge last night on bread and butter :O my mum got nimble bread!.....WHY WOMAN....YOU KNOW I'M OFF BREAD.....I felt so bloated and heavy this morning!

But that hasn't derailed me! just finished an hour on treadmill! :D

Wow well done lainy! An hour - very impressive! Went on a 5 mile fast walk UPhill this morn - great hills where I live - hills are practically vertical! Do you walk and jog in a hour?

Only bread I eat now is brown bread - my Mam bakes an excellent brown bread with loads of seeds and good stuff - I pointed it at 2 or 3 points per slice - bita laughing cow on it and its amazing! I know that bloated feeling- went on apicnic with OH family and hada eat sandwich they brought - even after 2 slices thought I was gona burst! Havnt ate pan bread other than that since jan.

Good luck with study!

boxoff wrote: »
    Wow well done lainy! An hour - very impressive! Went on a 5 mile fast walk UPhill this morn - great hills where I live - hills are practically vertical! Do you walk and jog in a hour?

Only bread I eat now is brown bread - my Mam bakes an excellent brown bread with loads of seeds and good stuff - I pointed it at 2 or 3 points per slice - bita laughing cow on it and its amazing! I know that bloated feeling- went on apicnic with OH family and hada eat sandwich they brought - even after 2 slices thought I was gona burst! Havnt ate pan bread other than that since jan.

Good luck with study!

walking, too much jiggle for jogging, plus i have a constant fear of breaking the treadmill. (its happened in the past) I got about 4.5km in the hour :) I'm short with short legs :P so that was brisk walking. 5.1kph is my sfast speed. i'm nearly back up to that stamina. all the hours i clocked up really boosted my stamina back up...even if it didnt show on the scales. I may be fat...but i am fit :P

walking, too much jiggle for jogging, plus i have a constant fear of breaking the treadmill. (its happened in the past) I got about 4.5km in the hour :) I'm short with short legs :P so that was brisk walking. 5.1kph is my sfast speed. i'm nearly back up to that stamina. all the hours i clocked up really boosted my stamina back up...even if it didnt show on the scales.

Fair play to ya! I much prefer to walk outside rather than threadmill, was away there all last weekend and our hotel hada gym. Been on threadmill now a few times, but did a half hour of jogging each day and I honestly found it very draining as in you have to concentrate or else you could end up in a lump on the floor! Like to let my concentration wander when Im walking

Fair play to ya! I much prefer to walk outside rather than threadmill, was away there all last weekend and our hotel hada gym. Been on threadmill now a few times, but did a half hour of jogging each day and I honestly found it very draining as in you have to concentrate or else you could end up in a lump on the floor! Like to let my concentration wander when Im walking

Sorry again lainy, would you count walking as medium instensity excerise so? Im confused cos Id kinda consider jogging as high intensity but then going up hills at speed... wonder is that high intensity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 numbernerd

Hey everyone..

You're all doing great and I'm totally and utterly obsessed with this thread :)

I've been having a 'break' for myself the last few weeks! My prepaid classes were up and I'm in the middle of preparing for my finals so class time wasn't suiting.

Anyways I've been keeping points and excercising but as I wasn't going to classes I've defo been less strict with myself..a slight bit of 'nobody will know' going on!

No idea what came over me but woke up this morn and decided EVERYONE will know...cos there will be a big belly bulging in my summer clothes!! So I'm overloaded with motivation, more so than when I first decided to start in Feb even!!
    I went to Argos and invested in the Salter scale, popped into Tesco and raided the fruit and WW shelves and came back home to find I'm down 2lbs since I last weighed a month ago(I'd say there's been alot of +/- in the meantime!!)

Wuhoo Lets go!
    I love being a loser :)!!!

i'm the opposite...i cant relax and "wander" when out walking....dont want to be stopped by anyone i know. plus the only walking route is along a main road where so many people have been killed. So i wouldn't even dare listen to ipod cos i wouldn't be able to hear the traffic.

on the treadmill i can just switch off and just walk...music blasting...and i dont need to worry about people seeing me in a disgusting stinking drenched sweaty mess. I know I wouldnt push my self has a much if I was out walking. And seeing the speed and numbers on the monitor spur me on... I completely drift off into space on the treadmill, thinking about what'll be like when i lose weight, getting back horse riding, think about the future, jobs, careers, think about how i was, how i am now, and how i might be in when i do get to my goal.

• Advertisement

Sorry again lainy, would you count walking as medium instensity excerise so? Im confused cos Id kinda consider jogging as high intensity but then going up hills at speed... wonder is that high intensity?

the intensity thing differs from person to person...one person might find jogging very easy...another person might find it very difficult. the intensity rating isn't the same for everyone.....two people might do the same activity, for the same length of time, along the same route....but the pp values earned could be completely different.

with ww online i just put in walking, the speed and for how long and WW calculate my activity pp earned. which is great...so guessing work, or fooling my self saying i earned X amount when i really only earned Z amount.

like i put in walking, and it gives me speed options 15 minute mile, 18 minute mile or 20+ minute mile, you pick your speed, say how long you did it and ww tell you how many pp you earned based on your weight.

Exercise intensity can be defined in several ways, including by heart rate.

Exercise intensity is defined in several ways – by measuring heart rate and oxygen consumption or by how an individual feels when performing an activity.

Intensity is the amount of physical power, expressed as a percentage of maximum, the body uses in performing an activity. For example, it defines how hard the body has to work to walk a mile in 20 minutes or to play a game of tag.

Measuring Intensity
    There are several ways to measure exercise intensity.1 One common method measures the amount of oxygen consumed by the body as an activity is performed. This method is expressed in studies as the percentage of maximum oxygen consumption, or %-VO2 max. The oxygen consumption method is used most often in a research setting.

Another method of measurement works with the increased heart rate that occurs with exercise. The greater the intensity of the activity being performed, the higher the heart rate. This method is expressed as a percentage of maximum heart rate or %-MHR.

Measuring heart rate is the method most often used to evaluate intensity in everyday life or to set the level of exercise in physical training.

Low, moderate and high levels of exercise intensity, as measured by heart rate, are defined as follows:
    •Low (or Light) is about 40-54% MHR.
    •Moderate is 55-69% MHR.
    •High (or Vigorous) is equal to or greater than 70% MHR.
    An individual's maximum heart rate can be estimated by using the formula: 220 &150 age in years = MHR. Pulse rate can then be monitored while an exercise is being done and the % MHR calculated to assess intensity.

So, for example, the estimated MHR for a 50-year-old individual would be 220 - 50, or 170. Let's say that an individual's heart rate measured 100 beats per minute performing a certain activity. Since 100 is approximately 59% of the MHR (170), that would be considered a moderate level of exercise. The overall levels of intensity for a 50-year-old would be as follows:
    •Low Intensity: heart rate is 68-to-92 beats per minute.
    •Moderate Intensity: heart rate is 93-to-118 beats per minute.
    •High Intensity: heart rate is more than 119 beats per minute

Rating of Perceived Exertion
    A simpler method than monitoring heart rate, which also corresponds with measured MHR, is the Rating of Perceived Exertion (or RPE) RPE is measured by having a person rate how they feel (psychological perception) when performing an activity. This kind of a survey, in which a person rates their perceptions, attitudes or feelings on a scale, is known as a Likert scale.

The ratings of physical effort and feelings correspond with heart rate, and people can learn to exercise at a desired level of intensity based on their subjective feelings of exertion. It should be noted, however, that people who have been previously inactive tend to overestimate their intensity level, especially for moderate activity.

Level of Intensity RPE Physical Cues
    Light Easy Does not induce sweating unless it's a hot, humid day. There is no noticeable change in breathing patterns.

Moderate Somewhat hard Will break a sweat after performing the activity for about 10 minutes. Breathing becomes deeper and more frequent. You can carry on a conversation but not sing.

High Hard Will break a sweat after 3-5 minutes. Breathing is deep and rapid. You can only talk in short phrases.

All activity – whether done at a light, moderate, or high level of intensity – expends energy, and therefore is helpful for weight loss. The more intense the exercise and/or the longer the duration of exercise, the greater the energy expended per minute and the greater the impact on weight loss.

the intensity thing differs from person to person...one person might find jogging very easy...another person might find it very difficult. the intensity rating isn't the same for everyone.....two people might do the same activity, for the same length of time, along the same route....but the pp values earned could be completely different.

with ww online i just put in walking, the speed and for how long and WW calculate my activity pp earned. which is great...so guessing work, or fooling my self saying i earned X amount when i really only earned Z amount.

like i put in walking, and it gives me speed options 15 minute mile, 18 minute mile or 20+ minute mile, you pick your speed, say how long you did it and ww tell you how many pp you earned based on your weight.

cool thanks! I dont eat my activity points but suppose would be nice to know out of pure motivation! Excerise done and over with until 2m morning. The road I walk on is a quiet road up a hill by the coast, am lucky I wouldnt meet to many on the road at all!

Just a word of warning. I bought these because someone had posted on here that 1/4 packet was 2pp. The nutrition info gives for 100g cooked & per 1/4 pack. There are 4 nests of noodles in the packet. I have eaten these a few times now & couldn't believe that they were only 2pp, so tonight I cooked one of the nests & weighed it. Turns out it weighs 280g when cooked & therefore is 10pp. I feel like complaining to M&S about their labelling. They should have written per 1/4 nest not per pack. Very misleading. Now I have gone way over my pps for the day & have been calculating my stir fries (probably about 4 of them) all wrong the last few weeks.

Hope noone else fell into the trap like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hey folks,

Anbody notice a bita of a mood change with difference in food/eating?

Im having a really good week - off on my easter hols from work so walking every day and eating very well , being very good weight watcher wise. However, Im in a mood all this week and I just cant shift it. Duno what is up with me at all!1 Its not that Im craving anything just in a funny type of mood. Im starting to wonder if its got to do with food (ie being really really good) Im eating brunch, dinner and snacks each day but duno whats up with me at all. Time of month isnt this week either. My poor other half is bearing the blunt of it, bless him hes been very good.

Anyone have a similiar experience?

Yeah, I was in a crappy mood all week but I think what started it was me falling off the wagon last weekend and then another bank holiday coming up. Was quite good from Monday on and got out for a 5k walk/jog on Friday and felt absolutely brilliant after it. I think my bad mood was down to neglecting the exercise, the old excuses were coming out and I felt a bit of the old me coming out and I hated it. I haven't been great this weekend (as am away in my dads) but have tracked everything to the best of my knowledge and am going to try and earn PP back from walks when I get home.

Maybe try do something a bit different this week, drag the OH out for a walk with some nice scenery or play a game or some kind of different exercise. Treat yourself to something (non food) for all your good effort this week.

cool thanks! I dont eat my activity points but suppose would be nice to know out of pure motivation! Excerise done and over with until 2m morning. The road I walk on is a quiet road up a hill by the coast, am lucky I wouldnt meet to many on the road at all!

check back on my last comment, edited to add ww article about intensity levels

Just a word of warning. I bought these because someone had posted on here that 1/4 packet was 2pp. The nutrition info gives for 100g cooked & per 1/4 pack. There are 4 nests of noodles in the packet. I have eaten these a few times now & couldn't believe that they were only 2pp, so tonight I cooked one of the nests & weighed it. Turns out it weighs 280g when cooked & therefore is 10pp. I feel like complaining to M&S about their labelling. They should have written per 1/4 nest not per pack. Very misleading. Now I have gone way over my pps for the day & have been calculating my stir fries (probably about 4 of them) all wrong the last few weeks.

its the tilda rice all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

its the tilda rice all over again.

don't mention the tilda rice. I still have 3 bags (unopened) in my press :eek:

Dee01 wrote: »
    don't mention the tilda rice. I still have 3 bags (unopened) in my press :eek:

so do i! and its not even that nice and takes forever to cook :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Flurry

Yikes!!!

What have people found to be the best value noodles for pro points? I picked up some Blue Dragon ones, which I worked out to be 5 pp per nest. Each nest is definitely a lot less than I would've eaten before WW, but they are actually quite filling.

Also, does anyone know of some low pp stir-fry sauces? Are Blue Dragon ones the best? Or is it easy to make your own?

Oh, while I'm on the subject...any good options for curry sauces? Or is it just a case of using tinned tomatoes and curry powder (the actual spice, not a tub of McDonnells powder) to make my own 0pp version?

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to cooking! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackmax

hi can anyone help with the pp for a slice of luncheon meat? :)

i went shopping today and got my dress for my step daughter's communion. a maxi dress and its a size 12 :eek: I couldn't believe it :D I am sooooooooooooo happy. All my hard work paying off :D I brought 2 dresses into the fitting rooms and they were 14s but they were too big. i still cant believe it :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement