Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Hi Eviledna,

If you are located in north dublin I could recommend a few??

J x

Ah thanks Jwacqui, alas no, depite being born in north dublin, I'm out in the wilds of the Whest these days:D
    There's not as much choice for me because the nearest meeting is a commute, and traffic in galway around meeting time is cack.
    Might make the extra time for it, cos I find the leader a bit condecending, which doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

I wouldn't find that very appealing either, if it's that much of a problem I would make the effort to attend a different meeting.

If your leader doesn't motivate you then its not really going to put you in a good frame of mind!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sunalishine

Hi all, haven't been on here in ages and its great to see how well everyone is doing and all the new names!!
    I had been doing really well but over the last 2 months have just been up and down the whole time, i've been around the same weight though so haven't gone up really, but its a struggle. My leader has stopped doing the class i was going to and i'm trying to find another one, can anyone recommend a good leader in south dublin city? Thanks in advance and well done to everyone!!! xxx;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 277 ✭✭misspiggy40

Hey Eviledna. Really well done on the weight loss. It is such a pity your leader isn't better. Our girl is great, she doesn't lecture at all. She asks these questions which people give their opinions on. Sometimes people will say what she wants to hear and sometimes they will say something off the wall. Either way she then talks thru what has been suggested. I find that great because sometimes I am in the off the wall camp and something just is not working for me and I would like to know why. She makes a big deal of the silver sevens and the stones too. The only thing I have seen mentioned that she does not seem to pick up on is the 5% and 10% goals.

My point is that the meeting is motivational in a happy, comfortable way not in a 'Avast and swab the decks' way. It really helps me. I hope you have the choice of voting with your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 jo0380733

Hi Thanks for that hopefully will be down next wednesday so :) I a have my meetinbgs in castletroy in Limerick and the leader is great think that is why I have still gone back even with little change over last two weeks but ye all are doing great so that is going to keep me going weight didnt go on fast so going to take its time to go off. Will take every week at a time and not think of the overal goal yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Bedhead

Hi everyone, great to hear that the weightloss is coming along nicely. I'm putting off my weigh-in until Sat morn before I head off for the weekend. Am fairly sure I have lost this week as I have been very disciplined and I want to give myself the best reason not to gorge Sat night/Sunday!

Anyway, just discovered this amazing dessert last night that I thought I would share. Maybe this is something everyone else already does but it really killed the sugar craving I had. One meringue nest (.5 points) and 75mls of frozen yogurt (1pt). Yum. I am loving frozen yogurt at the mo (I used to love ice-cream but it was too fond of my hips/thighs/stomach)...

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 jo0380733

Hi meringue nest for 0.5 points is great going to try that out :) Thanks! Just wondering with other woman if its the time of the month do ye find a difference in your weight? And if so, the next week after it do you see that you loose more weight?

jo0380733 wrote: »
    Just wondering with other woman if its the time of the month do ye find a difference in your weight? And if so, the next week after it do you see that you loose more weight?

Yes, some months I could have a fab week and put up a lb or sts. Happens me the week my period is due then when I get it I lose more that week. It always evens out as it's mostly water retention so I wouldn't worry about it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Got finished work early and make a earlier WW class and I am trilled to inform you all that I am down 2.5lb. Woo hoo got my 2nt silver star. So delighted that I have a stone gone. I feel so proud of myself that I have had a loss after coming back from holidays. Pointing my food really worked and all the walking must have cancelled out all the booze!!!!:):):)

Really reved up for the coming week. Looking forward to my next silver 7.

My lovely hubby wont be home from work until about 9pm so we are going to get a take away. Going to go for chicken and cashew nuts I think.

Best of luck to everyone who still has a WI coming up and well done to the loser. Keep going to anyone who had a gain, we will hit goal in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 112togo

well done to all the losers!

unfortunately i had a gain this week, and a big one at that - 4.5 pounds!!
    i had a wedding at the weekend, and 2 nights out last week, so i guess that explains it. plus im pre-menstrual, so that prob doesnt help.

eek.

anyway, all i can do is get back on teh wagon.

have nothing planned socially this week so should be able to keep on track.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bettydavis

Well done to all the losers this week - on any other thread that would sound so wrong but on this thread it's a great compliment:D

I haven't been on since the weekend when I was struggling to stay motivated.... a big thank you to Jwacqui & misspiggy you were both very encouraging and inspiring... and misspiggy I tried the WW caramel rice your recommended it was real tasty and gaves you that sweet kick that I sometimes crave:)

I'm only going back to pointing tomorrow as I've had a viral infection for most of the so have been under the weather:( but hay on the plus side I haven't been hungry this week so it's helped me get back on track and break last weekends bad cycle..... every cloud has a sliver lining!

Keep up the good work everyone......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I've a question for all you WW maestros out there! Know I'll be going for a chinese on Saturday for a family meal. I've looked up the points in what I'll have : Chicken and Sweetcorn soup (2.5) and King Prawn Chow Mein (5.5)

What I'm wondering is, in the Chow Mein, is that inclusive of the noodles? Or do I add those onto the 5.5? Cheers!

Oh and by the by! Checked up my points on what I used to have in my indian takeaway and was utterly horrified!!

2 Onion Bahjis, 2 nan breads, Chicken Korma: A total of... 39.5 points!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

No wonder I got so huge eating that once every 1/2 weeks!!

Hi DWG,

The 5.5 is for the lot! If its an extra big portion I would maybe add 1 or 1.5points extra, just judge the portion size yourself. Stop when your full.

This site is really good for points values eating out;

http://www.freewebs.com/noreenblackett/

Jacqui x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Cheers J! By god you really need to become a leader! I'll come to your classes in Dublin if you do! You're the woman in the know!

That's great! That't not too bad at all! Excellent! :D

Thank you!! Well hopefully one day soon! Once I get to goal I am going for it! I just know I'd love it!! My mates are sick of me going on about WW :P I have the application form pinned on my wall to remind me!!

The points for chow mein are very good and they are very tasty!! Enjoy our chinese!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 weekendtripper

Hello ladies, I have a WW related question that I was, frankly, a little too shy to ask my leader on Tuesday.

Basically, since I've been on the WW - the last 6 weeks - my intake of fruit and veg has dropped. I know this is bad, but I tend to save my points for proper sugarry / chocolaty treats as opposed to grapes and apples. Anyway, a side effect I have been experiencing is , ahem, constipation. It's not terrible, but I am conscious of it and on two occassions I've taken a natural laxative (senokot type thing) - but this makes me feel like I'm cheating on the diet as my weight is still going down. (Incidentally, I used a dulcolax tablet once and wouldn't recommend - it basically gives you the runs)

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you get over it?

Try a teaspoon of these in a drink (Yuck but fair play to you if you can) or stirred into a yogurt. Make sure to drink plenty as they work with the fluid in your body. A small bag only cost €2.20 in my local health food store...they will give you all the info. If it doesn't work for you, you go on to a teaspoon twice a day. Does the job over a couple of days.

If you are taking any medication take the husks at a different time as the absorbsion might effect your meds.

Meanwhile, try to get the yummy fruit in. You know prevention is better than cure.........lecture over. Best of luck

Yeah - just had my weigh in and am down 2 pounds!!!! Am absolutely delighted. :D Am going to go for a massive long cycle today before my night out tonight so that I can have a few bevvies and not mess up my points! HAve a good weekend ladies and gents!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

up 2.5lbs on thurs,so yesterday and to-day ive stuck to my points so hopefully i`ll keep it up 4 the week and see a result again!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

:(:phello everyone,still goin well 2day! goin 2 go for a walk shortly with my 2 dogs b4 it starts to rain but as our leader says we won`t melt or rust!

• Advertisement

Good for you Hollyhock. The excercise is great. Not doing too well on that front this week as I have an exam on Tuesday which I have been ignoring and now have to cram for. Doing okay on the points though so should be okay. Well done for getting straight back in to it.;)

Bye for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

hahah i love that saying, we wont melt or rust! saying that im having a very lazy week this week and im feeling bad about it. WI is on tuesday, ugh! gotta go for big walk today!!

I'm also having a really lazy weekend - its lashing outside so am going to have a go on my exercise bike in front of the tv! I feel like I'm just one step up from a couch potatoe but i suppose its better than nothing!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

haha at least youve a bike, i have to get up and go outside. its going to lash soon here too id say. damn exercise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've a question for all you WW maestros out there! Know I'll be going for a chinese on Saturday for a family meal. I've looked up the points in what I'll have : Chicken and Sweetcorn soup (2.5) and King Prawn Chow Mein (5.5)

What I'm wondering is, in the Chow Mein, is that inclusive of the noodles? Or do I add those onto the 5.5? Cheers!
    Be careful pointing takeaways, a restaurant will tend to give smaller portions but takeaway chinese/indian is usually massive. Next time you get one weigh it and see. Recipes and portions can vary a lot, I know you said a restaurant but I think they usually give bigger portions that the estimates I have seen.
    2 Onion Bahjis, 2 nan breads, Chicken Korma: A total of... 39.5 points!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    In my local Indian it would have been a lot more than 39.5 points.

Here are some I tried to estimate before.
    Chicken korma & rice
    rubadub wrote: »
    I got a chicken korma with steamed basmati rice in "lets eat in". No values come with it so I will estimate them.

Rice was 310g, korma was 520g. I would estimate there was a small-medium chicken fillet in the korma, so say 120g cooked meat, which is around 120kcal per 100g, so 144kcal, not much fat. The sauce was quite rich with a lot of oil so I go for a similar rich decent brand supermarket one to compare. Lloyd grossman korma sauce 244kcal per 100g, 10g sat fat. So the remaining korma sauce was 400g (520-120), so 976kcal and 40g sat fat. The uncle bens ready cooked basmati 148kcal 0.5g sat fat. So 459kcal, 1.5g sat fat.

So in total 1579kcal and 41.5g sat fat. So using this http://points.ogo.ms/ I get 32.5 points. (all estimates of course)

This portion was actually not that big for a takeaway, usually in proper Indian takeaways I would get a much bigger portion. The cartons were square sort of American ones, which appeared small but held a lot, but you would get more in a typical Chinese takeaway, and more in the Indian.

Chips & curry sauce
    Depends on the place, if it is the big long tray or short one. I worked out calories for a chicken balls curry sauce & chips before. Next time you get a chinese just weigh out the tubs before eating, then weigh the empties. This was what I got

http://points.ogo.ms/

If you take branded stuff and compare it
    http://www.mccain.co.uk/our-food/chips/chippy-chips/nutrition.aspx
    Then 520g of those chips would have 1123kcal and 5.7g sat fat.

A typical sauce http://www.pataks.co.uk/products/viewproduct.php?id=35&nut=v&amount=5&sort=r&offset=0&strName=&idProduct=35&idHeat=&strSignature=&idCategory=
    200g would be 192kcal and 4g sat fat.

So in total 1315kcal and 9.7g sat fat which is 21points. That would be conservative too, as I expect they might use more fat. But of course this is just for one particular takeaway and portions sizes will vary.

Just chips
    Just back from the Chinese now, chips weighing in at 395g, so 853kcal, 4.3g sat fat, so 13.5 points. Again that is conservative using the McCains figures which are probably lower than usual to appear lower in cals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Basically, since I've been on the WW - the last 6 weeks - my intake of fruit and veg has dropped. I know this is bad, but I tend to save my points for proper sugarry / chocolaty treats as opposed to grapes and apples.

Eat your fruit and veg. Seriously. You are not taking care of your body. You are cutting your calories with WW but not giving your body any nutrition.

Your eating habits haven't really changed if you are eating proper sugary chocolate treats every day and while you can expect to lose weight, you can't really expect to keep it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi all hope you all had a good weekend!!

I ate out twice this weekend and since it was my birthday i also had a massive chocolate moose and meringue cake from the local bakery to get through;) I really enjoyed my weekend and am all set to get back on track this week. WI is tomorrow morning so im gonna try keep to my points today and hit aquafit with a bang tonight.

I have no plans for any holidays away this year so I have given myself a bit of a relaxed week this week and am hoping to kick start myself after tomorrows WI. Im not really bothered if I gain lose or sts this week (although a loss would be fab :D:D) as i enjoyed it and am ready to get back to it now.We all deserve a break now and then:p

best of luck to all this week:D:D:D

ps: out of interest does anyone know what a chicken pad thai would be points wise. Had this for first time yesterday and have no idea what it would be like its basically rice noodles with chicken and beansprouts coated in something similar to sweet chili sauce.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭lots2lose

Hi Everyone

Had Weigh in on Saturday and was down 2lbs delighted because i didnt do much exercise and had a heavy weekend previous! that 9lbs off altogether so gonna try get my stone before the end of August!

Well done to all the losses :) hope all is well! xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭lots2lose

Hello ladies, I have a WW related question that I was, frankly, a little too shy to ask my leader on Tuesday.

Basically, since I've been on the WW - the last 6 weeks - my intake of fruit and veg has dropped. I know this is bad, but I tend to save my points for proper sugarry / chocolaty treats as opposed to grapes and apples. Anyway, a side effect I have been experiencing is , ahem, constipation. It's not terrible, but I am conscious of it and on two occassions I've taken a natural laxative (senokot type thing) - but this makes me feel like I'm cheating on the diet as my weight is still going down. (Incidentally, I used a dulcolax tablet once and wouldn't recommend - it basically gives you the runs)

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you get over it?

Hi Weekend Tripper

This is a habit you really need to break its not that you have to cut everything out completely but there are lots of zero point vegtables and Fruit that you can have and also have the choco etc

I find hot water great and its really good for clensing the system..

How are you doing at WW?

xxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 weekendtripper

lots2lose wrote: »
    Hi Weekend Tripper

This is a habit you really need to break its not that you have to cut everything out completely but there are lots of zero point vegtables and Fruit that you can have and also have the choco etc

I find hot water great and its really good for clensing the system..

How are you doing at WW?

xxx

I'm doing fairly well - at it almost 7 weeks, and and hopefully going to reach a stone at my weigh in on Tuesday. Fingers crossed! My whole system is in a bit of shock at the moment I guess as I am doing a lot of exercise, running mainly, and my digestive system is starting to revolt a bit, which can happen to runners at the best of times... Anyway, I will up the fruit and veg intake - I know I'm being a total baby about it. And I don't want my skin to go dull, so I need to cop on immediately.

A curly wurly will not make my skin glow, even if it does make me very, very happy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement