Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Hi littleblondehen!!

your not being cheeky at all sure advice and support is what we are all on here for at the end of the day!

like you i joined WW a few times and ended up getting to a certain point then giving up leaving and thinking i could make it on my own. this time however ive managed to stick it out and am almost at goal. i have found that going to and staying for the meetings really helped me with the motivation as i picked up meal ideas etc during the meetings and listening to other peoples stories really helps you to realise your not the only one going through it. so if i was to suggest anything it would be go to the meetings if its at all possible for you!

other than that i find breaking your weight loss into small goals rather than looking at it as one big amount helps you to see the light at the end of the tunnel. its easier to get your head around smaller numbers!;)

you could try sticking a "before" photo of yourself on your fridge or goodies press as a little incentive to stay away. works for me anyway:o

anyway im sure you can stick with it if your struggling just come on here and have a chat. theres always great advice to be had from the people on here;)best of luck with it:D

ps forgot to say congrats to all of you with such great losses its amazing fair play to you especially over xmas!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Hi everyone.

I've been spying on this thread for a little while now, which is a bit creepy, forgive me.

So I decided to join up and post. I have been in weight watchers before, but it wasn't successful for me. Maybe I wasn't following it properly or maybe it was lack of self discipline. It's like every time I try I just fall off the wagon and don't pick myself back up or I end up feeling so hungry that I just pig out.
    I did have a good spell at the gym for a while but that stopped purely because I am not motivated or disicplined enough.

But now, well now I am getting out of control and I'm feeling worse and worse about myself. I would love to lose a stone and a half.

I am thinking about starting about WW at home, but I would like to ask has anyone any advice for me on how I can stick with it? I know the weight loss will be great, but I need something to keep me going through those times when all I want to do is mill into crisps, bread and chocolate.

I hope I don't seem cheeky coming on and asking for advice so soon.

It is not cheeky at all, I do WW at home cos cant go to town for meetings and am broke!!! I find it ok to do especially with all the support here!!!

Get a good body weighing scales and a good food weighing scales!!! Only weigh yourself once a week at the same time... Measure your portions and write everything you eat and drink down in a food diary in the sub forum!! It can be done but it takes determination but so does going to WW meetings, if you are in the right frame of mind and want it enough you will loose the weight (obviously by eating less and moving more)!!!!

ergonomics wrote: »
    Hi all,

Went back to WW this evening and was dreading it. I figured I was about 5lbs up but vowed that whatever the scales said, I wouldn't get upset because I was determined to lose it again. When I approached the scales in the meeting my heart was actually racing. I stepped on and discovered I was almost spot on about the 5lbs, except I had lost 5lbs! :D

I am absolutely thrilled and spent the whole meeting with a big smile on my face. I thought if I put on weight it would motivate me to lose more, but this feeling has motivated me more than anything.

I'm also under 12 stone for the first time in 8 years and feeling fantastic!

Down 5lb, that is savage - congrats :) being in a new stone bracket is a great feeling and fair play for reaching it during christmas :):) Happy days!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

Pembily wrote: »
    It is not cheeky at all, I do WW at home cos cant go to town for meetings and am broke!!! I find it ok to do especially with all the support here!!!

Get a good body weighing scales and a good food weighing scales!!! Only weigh yourself once a week at the same time... Measure your portions and write everything you eat and drink down in a food diary in the sub forum!! It can be done but it takes determination but so does going to WW meetings, if you are in the right frame of mind and want it enough you will loose the weight (obviously by eating less and moving more)!!!!

Thanks Pembily. :)

I've been looking through the food diaries and they seem to work to keep people motivated.
    Do you think planning my meals in advance would be better? Maybe if I came up with a weekly plan for food I might be more successful.

Thanks Pembily. :)

I've been looking through the food diaries and they seem to work to keep people motivated.
    Do you think planning my meals in advance would be better? Maybe if I came up with a weekly plan for food I might be more successful.

I don't do it on a weekly basis but I do prepare all my food the night before to bring to college with me so I can't be tempted to eat crappy food during the day... I also make some "good" snacks so even if I do want crap / choc I have some good low calorie stuff in the house!!! But I do shop once a week and have an idea of what I eat in advance...

Best of luck :)

Hi littleblondehen!!

your not being cheeky at all sure advice and support is what we are all on here for at the end of the day!

like you i joined WW a few times and ended up getting to a certain point then giving up leaving and thinking i could make it on my own. this time however ive managed to stick it out and am almost at goal. i have found that going to and staying for the meetings really helped me with the motivation as i picked up meal ideas etc during the meetings and listening to other peoples stories really helps you to realise your not the only one going through it. so if i was to suggest anything it would be go to the meetings if its at all possible for you!

other than that i find breaking your weight loss into small goals rather than looking at it as one big amount helps you to see the light at the end of the tunnel. its easier to get your head around smaller numbers!;)

you could try sticking a "before" photo of yourself on your fridge or goodies press as a little incentive to stay away. works for me anyway:o

anyway im sure you can stick with it if your struggling just come on here and have a chat. theres always great advice to be had from the people on here;)best of luck with it:D

ps forgot to say congrats to all of you with such great losses its amazing fair play to you especially over xmas!!!

I completly missed your post earlier! So sorry, thanks for the great advice. I found a photo of "skinny me" so I have that on my mirror now.

• Advertisement

Pembily wrote: »
    I don't do it on a weekly basis but I do prepare all my food the night before to bring to college with me so I can't be tempted to eat crappy food during the day... I also make some "good" snacks so even if I do want crap / choc I have some good low calorie stuff in the house!!! But I do shop once a week and have an idea of what I eat in advance...

Best of luck :)

Thanks, see I would be afraid lunchtime in college would be my down fall, there are no facilitys to heat/cook so it would have to be salads or sandwhichs everyday, and I would be afraid I would get bored very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

I know lunches in college can be terribly limiting - when I was in college I think I kept Cuisine de France in business with the amount of chicken fillet rolls I eat (laden with cheese and mayo obv!!). As you can imagine - this was before I started WW!

Another option for you for lunch would be to make your own soup and bring it in, in a flask so it stays warm. REALLY delicious and warming on days like this and makes a change to salads / wraps.

Everyone here is great for ideas and recipies so you won't be stuck for recipies or meal ideas - just ask!

Best of luck with it - believe me it's worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

Wow, 4.5lbs and 5lbs!!! That is unbelievable.. well done, it's a very difficult thing to do over christmas!!!
    I had my weigh in on Tuesday night, I am down 1lbs over christmas! I'm pretty happy with that, the first week I was really good and watched everything I ate and weighed myself on the tuesday at home and I seemed to be down 2 lbs!
    The second week though I was away in Liverpool for new years and really went to town on it!!! :o One of the days we were there I had dinomat, burgerking and chinese all on the same day!! :o So taking that into consideration I am really happy with the 1lbs!!! :D
    So, I started tracking everything again yesterday! The good thing is I have nothing coming up this month that I would need to save points for so hopefully that will have an impact on my weight loss!!! I have made a promise to myself to get to the gym before work at least 4 times every week too!!!
    Oh and I will also start a log!!! 2010 is the year!!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭irishneady

Hi all

Am I posting in the right place or is this just for ideas and motivation?

littleblonde hen - a flask could also keep ww beans warm and u could have them on a slice of brown bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

Thanks, see I would be afraid lunchtime in college would be my down fall, there are no facilitys to heat/cook so it would have to be salads or sandwhichs everyday, and I would be afraid I would get bored very quickly.

When I was in college and got bored of the sandwiches I made burgers.

Burger bun 2 points (Maybe use pita if bored)
    Dunnes own brand veggie burgers (the ones that look like beef burgers) I think I worked them out at 1 point but double check
    1 tbsp hellmans extra light mayo .5 points
    ketchup some people debate the points value but I take it as .5 points
    That's 4 points

As many no point veg as you like.
    You can always make it a double cheese burger for 2 extra points! (burger 1 point slice of low low cheese 1 point)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

First off congrats to everyone back on the wagon and all those fabulous losses! Fair play to ye all!

All the newcomers! Welcome! :D
    This is a great thread full of lovely people and support so don't be afraid to ask any questions! I know I had loads when I started! (still do!) :)

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!

Weightwatchers meeting cancelled!! >:(

Not happy!
    So my mother and I decided to have a weigh in anyway on out scales which are WW accurate! Because there was NO way I was going another week without knowing where I stand....

And....

I lost 4 POUNDS :D:D:D:D:):):):):)

Am OVER the moon and back again! It means I am now in the elevens!!!!!!! Just about at 11/13.5 but I care not!
    I cannot believe it! I'm so happy! We're going for a meal tonight so I'm going to try and stick to points but I just can't believe I'm in the elevens! I cannot remember EVER being in that weight bracket. So pleased I can't describe it! (but I bet I'm getting there with my rambling!)

2010 is my year! I hope!

Only downside is if I was at WW I would have got my silver seven :( (damn you snow!)

But fingers crossed I'll get it when I go back! Even though it's not an official WW weigh in I'm putting it in on my ticker as if I wasn't going to WW I would be just going by the scales anyway! Woohoo!

*dances* :D

well done doctorwhogirl, you must be over the moon.:)

can anyone verify what they calculate velvet crunch crisps at as me and another girl are having an ongoing debate about it. is it 1 point or 1.5 points? I would really appriciate an answer. They are 83kcals a packet and 0.2 sat fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

You are doing superb doctorwhogirl! Going by your pictures you don't have long to go now?
    irishneady wrote: »
    can anyone verify what they calculate velvet crunch crisps at as me and another girl are having an ongoing debate about it. is it 1 point or 1.5 points? I would really appriciate an answer. They are 83kcals a packet and 0.2 sat fat.

According to points.ogo.ms they are 1 point per pack. WW points in the UK/ Ireland are calculated slightly differently to WW in the US, maybe that's where the confusion lies?

Edit: Just noticed that if you put in 84 calories instead of 83, you get 1.5 points... I guess it's not an exact science!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fendigal

hi all..have read throug a lot of the posts on here today its all very motivating. I have been a ww member a couple of times but like so many got tired of it thought i could do it myself etc etc..i got to pretty close to my goal weight lst yr but ive put on a little over a stone over past 6 months or so..so now i really want to loose 2 stone to be honest to be d ideal weight! Ive been thinkin today i should really just go back to a meeting and bite the bullet. I want to loose a stone and a half in 10 weeks if possible..im jus wondering do you think thats possible??
    I guess i just felt like posting too to say ye are all great inspiration and motivation..congrats on all the weight lost.
    Think i should just bite the bullet now and go to my nearest meeting nxt wk..My biggest probs are wknds and snacking in front of the tv..any tips on how to avoid these things??

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

hi fendigal welcome along! 1 and a half stone in 10weeks in my opinion is a tough ask. for me anyway i would have to be SOOOOO strict with myself to get that done.
    BUT that said its not impossible as they say 1lb to 1.5lbs per wk is perfect going so 21lbs in 10 is doable if you can get 2lbs a week.
    i suppose its different for everyone i mean ive been on my current WW journey since april last year and am 2 stone down but ive been taking it REALLY easy this time round as when i joined previously i ended up losing alot very quickly and then left and piled it all back on again. where as this time ive taken it easy and really feel like ive made a lifestyle change rather than being on a diet. i couldnt wait to get back to counting points and eating properly after xmas:eek:.

if i was you i would defo go along to your nearest meeting once the first one is out of the way you will be grand!! im the same as you as regards snacking in front of the tv and days when im at home with nothing to do. i find to stop the snacking i grab a bottle of water and keep that beside me at all times so instead of eating junk ill take a sip of water.also when the weather permits i get out for a walk instead of staying in front of the tv. even if its only as far as the shops i figure its better then sitting on my rear end scoffing junk!!

anyway best of luck with it and im sure you will find lots of tips and advice on here!!

Thanks dolorous for the reply. Yes I think it depends whether ppl round up or round down. I have downloaded an application for my iphone that logs everything i find it really helpful - but it tends to round up what most ppl round down. hmmmph!

did ye see aldi have some weight watcher products on special this week. I drove over today and of course my store didn't have what I wanted but anyway. They have jam, ainnsley harriot soupd - which are low points - actuallly littleblondehen if u could get hot water on your break these are nice to heat you up on lunch as they are just cup a soups.

fendigal - you could try making the zero points salsa and using celery/carrots to dip into it. if you don't have ecipe let me know and i can post it up. also have a hummus recipe. I find the velvet crunch good as a treat. The spicy ones sure are spicy - they sometimes burn my nostrils lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Dolorous wrote: »
    You are doing superb doctorwhogirl! Going by your pictures you don't have long to go now?

Thanks so much Dolorous!

Ah no I've a bit to go now! I'm still very chubby looking :( But much better than I was! :D

My own personal goal is about 10/7 - 10/4 (10/4 is what my ticker shows)

But my WW goal is 10 stone. So I have about 2 stone to go *sigh*

But to be honest when I get into the tens (hopefully I will!!!:o) I'll be delighted with myself, even though I'll have a bit to go! Want to focus on staying the elevens now :)

Hey Fendigal! I'm depserate for eating in front of the TV, But the thing is eating in front of the TV is so bad for you because you don't even realise what you are eating!

For me, I have a couple of treats at night that I can eat in front of the tv, but that I can point. That way I have it my way and stay in control. For example I have a pack of Velvet crunch and a mini malteasters pack and that's only 3 points.

For me, eating at night is a big problem. I love drawing as a hobby so now I've gotten back into drawing. I draw in the evenings for an hour or two if I've time and I couldn't care less about eating when I'm engrossed in that. :)

Welcome to all new members!!!

DWG - you are in the 11, just remember you have come so far and you need to focus on that you have come so far and don't forget that fact... Congrats on the weighloss over Christmas :):)

On the snacking what I did when I needed to (it was when I was drinking in college years ago) I always had grapes, apples, oranges, pineapple and any other fruit and I munched to my hearts content :):):):) Now if I want chocolate I go for the apple with my tea and it works :)

You could loose 1.5 stone in 10 weeks but it will be tough and as others said if you push yourself too hard it is possible to fall off the wagon so be careful!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

OH MY GOD jwacqui i just watched your video and you are doing sooooooo well,you look fab!! you will defo get your very well derserved goal this year no problem to ya!;) after watching it im now more determined not to go back in the press for junk so thanks for that:D

ps: im a bit of a handbag fiend myself and i LOVE that bag!!!

Thanks a million!! Glad I helped!! I hope I get goal this year. I am so determined!

Yeah I have a problem! Addicted to handbags!!
    irishneady wrote: »
    OMG Jwacqui you are my inspirartion after that video. You go girl! How long have yoyu been doing WW for. You look fab.

Thank you! That means alot! I've been doing WW for 14months now! An average weight loss of 1lb a week! It all adds up! Thats 63.5lb in that time!

Best of luck with your own journey! This thread is a great support!

I have a food diary set up; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055571706&page=48 I would really recommend having one! Excellent for keeping on track!
    Well Jwacqui its great to see the face behind the fantastic weight loss. You look like a different person. You tube it is then to see more weight loss clips.

I myself put on 1 pound on over the christmas so lots of work to do this week. House is full of healthy foods, starting powerplate and a new running programme. Im very hopefully even if the weather is bad:)!!!

Thanks! It would be great to put faces to alot of names here! Youtube is definitely the place to go! I love it! Keeps me on track! Same as my food diary!
    It's me time!! It all helps me keep going and motivated!

1lb over xmas is great work! You'll kick it in the ass this week!! :p
    ergonomics wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I had lost 5lbs! :D

Congratulations to everyone who lost weight over the Christmas, especially Jwaqui. For those who put on weight; don't worry because in a couple of weeks it'll all be gone again!

Congrats!! That is impressive work!! Thanks for the congrats! x
    First off congrats to everyone back on the wagon and all those fabulous losses! Fair play to ye all!

I lost 4 POUNDS :D:D:D:D:):):)

Am OVER the moon and back again! It means I am now in the elevens!!!!!!! Just about at 11/13.5 but I care not!

2010 is my year! I hope!

Only downside is if I was at WW I would have got my silver seven :( (damn you snow!)

WELL DONE! Great work!! That is amazing! I dream of being in the 11stones! I can't believe that I'm 12st 7.5lb now!! Shocks me!!

I think 2010 is going to THE year! It's going to be my year! I can feel it!! And yours too!!

You'll get your silver seven next week! Great job! Keep it up!! ;)

This is the 3rd time doing this post!! I pray to god it works this time!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fendigal

hi all..thank u so so much for d lovely encouraging replies..im gonna try d velvet crunch iv seen them in shops never got em..i'l throw some in wit d shoppin this wknd!i was thinkin of doin somethin drastic like slimfast/lipotrim but i know it wouldnt last more than 2/3 wks an i'd be back to square one.
    Your replies have made me make my decision im gonna go to my nearest meetin nxt wk..just bite d bullet and go.
    id love d no point salsa recipe if you have it please..that'd b brilliant i love dips :P thats half d prob eh!
    Once this weather thaws i need to get out walking..i have a exercise bike i need to get off my big ass an use it
    Id lve to lose d 21 lbs in ten wks but ive decided if it happens it does and if not feck it..this has to be a permenant change this time.
    THanks so much girls
    Btw does anyone have the zero points soup recipe?:D

• Advertisement

Down another 1lb this week :) Not really sure how as havnt exercised all week but due to a cold and dodgy tummy I have barely eaten much...

Best of luck to all :)

Right, I've decided to definatly start WW again, but I am not starting until Monday, because I feel if I start this weekend (I have a few things on) I'll be fooling myself.
    My aim is to lose a stone and a half, with the first half stone gone by mid feb when I have a weekend away, and the full stone and a half by my holidays in june. That's an ok target right?

I've spent a couple of days reading over threads and food diaries and everyone has inspired me. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pinkilicious

Hi all, am new to boards.ie but love this forum!! Joined WW 18th Nov and since then have lost 18.5lbs by following my points and exercising when I can so fendigal, 21lbs is deffo possible in 10weeks!! Keep up the great work everyone ;)

hey

I tried lipotrim about 2 years ago. Il lasted a week, that is my threat to myself "stick to the ww plan or that is the alternative" so it is some food vs no food with horrible shakes lol. anyone tried those CLA tablets by Pharmanord? wondering if they work

well done to all who have lost weight! and for those that have maintained it too!!

Hummus (2 points)
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    2 onions chopped
    3 garlic cloves minced
    can of chick peas rinsed and drained
    3 tbsps fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salk
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons seasame paste

Salsa (0 points)
    4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
    1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    2 chile peppers, mild or hot, seeded and finely chopped or jalepeno
    2 tbsp chopped bell pepper
    1 tbsp fresh lime juice
    salt and pepper, to taste

Zero points soup
    Chunky Italian Vegetable (serves 4)
    2 carrots chopped
    1 onion chopped
    2 celery sticks chopped
    200g turnip and swede
    1 garlic clove crushed
    2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
    1 tbsp tomatoe puree
    1 tbsp italian dried mixed herbs
    1.5 pints of hot veg stock

I also read a mini pizza recipe somewhere - consists of rice cakes, tomatoe puree and toppings but contains some points but handy for snaking in fron of tv

*newsflash* did ye hear there is a free weight watcher magazine/recipe thing in this weeks sunday world?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

hi there ww ladys/gents. ye are all doing so well. im going to start ww in galway on tuesday morning cos my eating is totaly out of control. put up heaps of stones. was a member year ago was doing bad. now ive found this forum ye are going to get so fed up of me going on about ''cant do this ww'' not working for me''. but i want to lose all this flubber that stops me walking without having to stop cos it hurts my back..:(

blond45 wrote: »
    hi there ww ladys/gents. ye are all doing so well. im going to start ww in galway on tuesday morning cos my eating is totaly out of control. put up heaps of stones. was a member year ago was doing bad. now ive found this forum ye are going to get so fed up of me going on about ''cant do this ww'' not working for me''. but i want to lose all this flubber that stops me walking without having to stop cos it hurts my back..:(

thats what it is here (i hope as only newbie to this thread :p)

2010 is the year for all of us. It is my birthday in early feb and i wanna lose some for that at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pinkilicious

I find it really motivating to set little goals, it really does keep you on track

same here. I saved pints all week for a party tommorow - which has now been cancelled - but am sure i will go out anyway. I am now sitting here with a glass of wine. aaah bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

where do you see ur video jwacqui ? i know its you tube but what do i key in to see it ? oh i was up 5 lbs at wi last nite but back fairly well on track 2day! it was 10/12/09 that i last weighed in!

• Advertisement

hollyhock wrote: »
    where do you see ur video jwacqui ? i know its you tube but what do i key in to see it ? oh i was up 5 lbs at wi last nite but back fairly well on track 2day! it was 10/12/09 that i last weighed in!

ah not too worry u are back on track now. I am looking thru ppls food diarys and they seem to be able to make better use of their points then me. lessons to be learned lol

as for jwaquis video here it is (hope this works)

[/quote]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement