Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

blond45 wrote: »
    got weighed today as i said im 24.5 st. ive now done out my menu for tomorrow. always done that so i wont be wondering. for the first few weeks il be going to shops to get what i want for the day of eating.im going day by day not the big picture as in i'd be thinking ive heaps of bulk to looooose. have to get used to the food part before i rightley get in to exercise..

This is great, well done for making the first step and going to weigh in! Keep coming back here for motivation and tips over your week and this time next week hopefully you'll have lost a couple of pounds and you will be soooo determined to keep it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

This is great, well done for making the first step and going to weigh in! Keep coming back here for motivation and tips over your week and this time next week hopefully you'll have lost a couple of pounds and you will be soooo determined to keep it up :)
    what happend last time is i lost 11lb the first week, thats great but i didnt loose any thing the next cos of the week before . it was hard to get motivated after that now im doing things diferent as in eat all my points.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

JOJOC wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Is it just me or is it really difficult to get motivated since xmas?

All i want to do is eat everything in sight, doesnt help that there are still xmas sweets and biscuits in the house and I cant get out to get a walk in :(

Havent been tracking anythin either so dont know where I am - im so mad at myself :mad:
    jojoc,im the very same,and u just feel like s***e! u want 2 stop but can`t,ur not even hungry,ur like"what can i have next?"i just had a mince pie and i reading this site,earlier i had a cadburys creme egg(yeah their back!)and in work there was a box of roses floating around 2day so had 2 have some!i think i`ll get hypnotized!:confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Molly Moo

Thanks Jennie

I have about 2 stone to lose so I really want to get a routine going and stick at it, did this all before going to the classes lost 2.5 stone down to goal weight and kept it off until I had baby. (Baby is now 5 and going to school Ha HA) But determined will do it again.

blond45 wrote: »
    what happend last time is i lost 11lb the first week, thats great but i didnt loose any thing the next cos of the week before . it was hard to get motivated after that now im doing things diferent as in eat all my points.

Thats a great plan. Ive decided if i get weeks where im lacking motivation im going to come on here to gain inspiration again . Everyone can have bad weeks....Im determined not let them stretch into a bad year or a bad life.
    I keep telling myself skinny healthy people can have bad days here and there but they just dont give up and say to hell with it when that happens, this is exactly where ive been going wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭girltatu

Thanks for the suggestions irishneady, I think i'll grab a WW sandwich on the way to work so that will keep me going until I can get home to make something decent. Molly, we've done it once so we can do it again! I've 2st 7 to lose so hopefully we can motivate each other to stay on track

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 penpusher

I'm finding all the tv programmes on weight loss very motivating - i feel I'm not alone and actually am learning new things. Operation Transformation starts today on RTE (Wed) - i think it will be the motivation you need?

penpusher wrote: »
    I'm finding all the tv programmes on weight loss very motivating - i feel I'm not alone and actually am learning new things. Operation Transformation starts today on RTE (Wed) - i think it will be the motivation you need?

Yup I have that in the planner to record every week, its funny because last year I wasn't interested in loosing weight so I would avoid watching that show because it was a reminder that i needed to loose weight! this year i have it in the planner to use as motivation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

hi all!! Welcome to all the newbies!!

So i sts this week which i was a bit annoyed about but also kind of expected. i was finding it really hard to get back into it since xmas so ddint really try that hard last week. but im determined this week to get back on the straight and narrow. my only problem is figuring out dinners. im so sick of eating the same things over and over again so if anyone had any tastey dinner ideas send em this way!!!;)

have been ok so far anyway this week and been using my WII fit last few days im really enjoying the boxing game on it my arms are aching from it but im pushing through it!!:o and its back to aquafit next week too which im looking forward to cant make it this week though so ill stick with the WII till then!

anyway best of luck to all this week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Millieboo wrote: »
    FYI all, my leader has brill website with loads of great recipes!

http://www.eimhear.com/

I wonder is this Eimhearwwl from here?!?! Her recipes are great and she is very supporitve :)

Its allaboutme check out the website - its great for recipes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

Are egg whites really 0 points? So you could have an egg white omlette with loads of 0 point veg in it and it would only cost you your oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭kty

Hi Everyone, have been back at WW since end of Oct i think, managed to lose 8.5lbs before xmas, last nite was my first WI since before xmas, was up 0.5lb!:( But was totally expecting that and more, was expecting to be up a few pounds, so happy overall really.
    Like a few more of ye, am finding it hard to motivate myself after the hols, the bad weather doesnt help either, and its my bday this wk, well yday, out for dins last nite and out this wkend to celebrate!!!!;) Will have to be very good and save up points from today on!
    Must get back into the walking too, but just so hard with the weather, its either snowing, too icy and pouring!!!!

Are egg whites really 0 points? So you could have an egg white omlette with loads of 0 point veg in it and it would only cost you your oil?

yup! thats why meringue nests are only half a point! All the fat and calories of an egg are in the yolk, but if i remember correctly .... someone correct me if im wrong.... the protein is all in the egg white? personally i would make scrambled egg or an omlette with one full egg and then add extra egg white to make it bigger.
    you can buy cartons of egg white in supermarkets so you dont go wasting loads of yolks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

yup! thats why meringue nests are only half a point! All the fat and calories of an egg are in the yolk, but if i remember correctly .... someone correct me if im wrong.... the protein is all in the egg white? personally i would make scrambled egg or an omlette with one full egg and then add extra egg white to make it bigger.
    you can buy cartons of egg white in supermarkets so you dont go wasting loads of yolks!

I never knew that! Heh, you learn something new everyday!

That's great, thanks a mill.

I knew about the meringues (although why I didn't cop on to the egg white thing I don't know!) I love them with some low fat yogurt and raspberries :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Talking of meringues (love them btw - espec. the Marks and Spencer ones!), can anyone explain to me how exactly they work out so low in points. I understand the egg white side of things but what about the fact that the other main ingredient is sugar?!!

People always question me on that when I explain that they're a lowfat option, and only half a point, and I don't understand it myself, just wondering if anyone could explain it to me!? I suppose it may be the same logic that could apply to Pink and Whites - they're so sugar-y but yet only a half a point each?!

Confused:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Sugar has calories but not fat... M&S are gorgeous, have them with soya chocolate yogurt, love them and gluten free too :):):) Not sure about the protein though but I always eat the whole egg - love the yolk runny in a poached egg:):):)

I never knew that! Heh, you learn something new everyday!

That's great, thanks a mill.

I knew about the meringues (although why I didn't cop on to the egg white thing I don't know!) I love them with some low fat yogurt and raspberries :)

yup thats something i only found out recently myself to be honest haha I don't think they are available in all supermarkets, something tells me they aren't the easiest thing to find perhaps but they are available so im sure all tescos would have them :)

Talking of meringues (love them btw - espec. the Marks and Spencer ones!), can anyone explain to me how exactly they work out so low in points. I understand the egg white side of things but what about the fact that the other main ingredient is sugar?!!

People always question me on that when I explain that they're a lowfat option, and only half a point, and I don't understand it myself, just wondering if anyone could explain it to me!? I suppose it may be the same logic that could apply to Pink and Whites - they're so sugar-y but yet only a half a point each?!

Confused:confused:

I can see your point but I'm not entirely sure of the answer. I have a real sweet tooth so meringues, pink and whites, and normal marshmallows toasted are my saviours when I am dieting as they are my treats when I feel the need for one but I can still point them and not waste loads of points!!

Sugar does have calories but not fat, but that being said the meringues, pink and whites and marshmallows etc all have very low calories so perhaps there isnt as much sugar in them as we think?! or maybe its that there are less calories in sugar than we think?!

I know they aren't exactly good for you because of the sugar, but in moderation they are great to make you feel as though your not depriving yourself and hence letting you diet and loose weight yet still treat yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

1 teaspoon of sugar = 1 point! So how a meringue is only half a point is beyond me too!! :confused:
    What are pink and whites? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pembily wrote: »
    Sugar has calories but not fat
    Yes, 100% carbohydrate. Meringues are very light so will have low amounts overall, just like wispa, malteasers, aero etc look the same size as other bars but are lower in points since they are much lighter.
    People always question me on that when I explain that they're a lowfat option
    Many people tend to use low-fat/low-sugar/low-calorie interchangeably, they know meringues are "bad" and so presume they cannot be "low fat". I remember mates of mine were on coors light in the pub one night, raving that it had "no fat", I told them no beer has fat in it and they were laughing at me saying "then why does guinness give you a beer belly", and could not understand how it had no fat, they thought only "fat made you fat". Many people are ignorant and the marketers take advantage of this. You will see Muffins with "just 5% fat", -yeah they are 60% sugar!, or other tricks like saying "milk is only 4% fat", -yeah but you drink it by the half kilo! WW ready meals and snacks do the same thing, they use very low portions and are often high in sugar, so WW bread is about the same as other bread, their biscuits might have the same calories but lower points due to a higher proportion of sugar.

If I was making up my own WW points forumla it would actually be the exact opposite of what they do, i.e. they take calories and sat fat into account (or in the US just fat), I would just take calories and sugar/simple carbs into account.

600kcal portion of coconut is 21.5points
    600kcal portion of sugar is 8.5points

I have no doubt 8.5points of sugar would make me put on more fat than 21.5 points of coconut. I am very surprised nobody has challenged their forumla yet, or maybe some other crowd have, there was some other "points system" mentioned in another thread a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

*Lees* wrote: »
    1 teaspoon of sugar = 1 point! So how a meringue is only half a point is beyond me too!! :confused:
    What are pink and whites? :confused:

Pink and whites are THE best thing since sliced bread!!!!!!:D:D
    they are "pink and white" sugary marshmallow sandwiched between two pieces of wafer, kind of like how you would have an ice cream! they are sooooo nice for sorting out a sugar fix and they even come with rasberry jam inside now too. they are only .5pts. i stick them in the microwave for a few secs and the marshmallow bit goes all goooey and sticky!!!nyom!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

Pink and whites are THE best thing since sliced bread!!!!!!:D:D
    they are "pink and white" sugary marshmallow sandwiched between two pieces of wafer, kind of like how you would have an ice cream! they are sooooo nice for sorting out a sugar fix and they even come with rasberry jam inside now too. they are only .5pts. i stick them in the microwave for a few secs and the marshmallow bit goes all goooey and sticky!!!nyom!!!

Oh god that sounds lovely!!!! :eek: Definitely going to go and get some of these!!! :D Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭irishneady

yea or i use the microwaveable thing u can buy that doesn't need oil so it is a zero point omlette.

never thought of just using the white of a second egg for scambled egg - thanks for that - not seen egg white cartons being sold - do they come in standard carton same as other eggs?

was anyone watching my big fat diet last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

irishneady wrote: »
    yea or i use the microwaveable thing u can buy that doesn't need oil so it is a zero point omlette.

Oooh what's that - I love omelettes but am actually a bit rubbish at cooking them, is there a microwaveable way!? It sounds quick and I love quick cooking that's healthy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 penpusher

yeah - they brought up the sugar content also - but for me, sugar = carbs = calories so I still think the WW formula works - it takes sugar and fat into account. But I am looking at the sugar content now too.

Interesting what they said about diet drinks creating a carb craving, due to the artificial sugars

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

yep egg whites are 0 points. that food would be great if we over done the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sugar = carbs = calories so I still think the WW formula works - it takes sugar and fat into account.
    It only takes the calories from sugar into account, it takes the calories from fat into account and then further demonises fat by putting a much harsher penalty on it via the forumla -if anything my forumla would be the opposite, leave the fat alone and put the penalty on simple carbs.

Like I said earlier
    600kcal portion of coconut is 21.5points
    600kcal portion of sugar is 8.5points

Same calories but over 2.5 times the points.

Oooh what's that - I love omelettes but am actually a bit rubbish at cooking them, is there a microwaveable way!? It sounds quick and I love quick cooking that's healthy!

found u a link

http://www.betterware.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=038952&cid=101&language=en-GB

i got it off the kleenze ppl that call around and leave catalogues with u. wish they wouldn't as I always think i need things that I don't lol. Guess this came in handy though
    yeah - they brought up the sugar content also - but for me, sugar = carbs = calories so I still think the WW formula works - it takes sugar and fat into account. But I am looking at the sugar content now too.

Interesting what they said about diet drinks creating a carb craving, due to the artificial sugars

yea thank god i have been staying away from them and am a fan of sparkling water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Ok, so I got weighed tonight and was up by a few pounds.

The thing is I ate well and feel quite slim but I did loads of walking and used the Wii Fit every night so I think the weight gain is just muscle. Despite this I still find myself completely disheartened. I find myself purposely avoiding exercise because any time I've done any, my weight has gone up. How am I ever supposed to reach my weight goal if exercising makes me put on weight?

I know our leader once gave us a talk on measuring our success through how our clothes fit, or through inches we've lost off parts of our body rather than just the number on the scales, but I think that's easier said than done. I've never considered not going to Weightwatchers before but now I'm feeling so disheartened. I don't want to pay €10 every week to see my weight go up on the scales.

• Advertisement

ergonomics wrote: »
    Ok, so I got weighed tonight and was up by a few pounds.

The thing is I ate well and feel quite slim but I did loads of walking and used the Wii Fit every night so I think the weight gain is just muscle. Despite this I still find myself completely disheartened. I find myself purposely avoiding exercise because any time I've done any, my weight has gone up. How am I ever supposed to reach my weight goal if exercising makes me put on weight?

I know our leader once gave us a talk on measuring our success through how our clothes fit, or through inches we've lost off parts of our body rather than just the number on the scales, but I think that's easier said than done. I've never considered not going to Weightwatchers before but now I'm feeling so disheartened. I don't want to pay €10 every week to see my weight go up on the scales.

I know what u mean I was thinking about that myself. My OH tries to put on weight and it only achieved through exercise for him as unlike some of us he can eat as much as he likes.

Don't feel disheartened though- if u feel better that is the main thing. I will be going by my clothes more so than the scales I think. so long as I look better I know it is better and not about what turns up on the scales. PMA xxx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement