Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tax on 1 yr working holiday visa

Options
  • 30-10-2008 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi quick question. As the title says, on a 1 year working holiday visa in Oz and have picked up a job. Does anybody know, when I'm filling out my tax form am I an Australian resident for tax purposes or not. Getting mixed answers! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

4bugny wrote: »
    Hi quick question. As the title says, on a 1 year working holiday visa in Oz and have picked up a job. Does anybody know, when I'm filling out my tax form am I an Australian resident for tax purposes or not. Getting mixed answers! Thanks

Tax is self assessment, so it is up to you to declare, a good idea is to say yes up front and at the end, if you see you aren't then you can declare that to the tax office.

But usually you are a resident for tax purposes if
    You work in Aus for 6months or more and in most of that time lived in the same area and worked same job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

When I was there I got an accountant to do that stuff for me. I always got way more back than the people who did their own accounts. My one only cost about $75, took an hour and generally got about $500 - $1000 back more than my mates who went through those office that advertise quick tax back or who did it themseleves.

Ask him about the living away from home allowance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I filled a form out when i got this job 2 weeks ago, and said i wasnt a resident. Coz im not. and neither are you.

The gf is an irish accountant and she told me thats correct, based on her experience with doing taxes for people coming into work in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The B man is right, do not, i repeat do not say you are a resident for tax purposes!!!!
    The difference in your tax return will be significant!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

The recruitment agencies I worked for all said tick no if you are on the working holiday visa as you are not supposed to work in one company for longer than 6 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement