Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

As kids, who took the train to school?

• 30-10-2008 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

In response to the lack of railway related posts I thought i'd start one. :)

Who took the train to school as a kid? Who was one of those annoying brats that we now despise every morning? .:D

In the early 70ies I took the train from Glenageary to Dalkey to get to primary school. I couldn't reach my hands out to open the doors, (Many doors were too stiff to open even by adult standards). I then went on to secondary school where I traveled to Sydney Parade. One time we had an hour and a half lunch time, I used to travel back to Glenageary for lunch. :eek:

Had some mad stories and had witnesses various sorts of vandalism of which that could not possibly be carried out in any of todays trains. In those days one could easily get away with bunking the standard "snipped" 10 Journey. We had various nick names for inspectors, one was Stalin, He would throw you off at the next station if you were caught bunking. If we were late for the morning we used to slide down the lamp posts directly on to the platform from the embankment thus avoiding que at the ticket office, CIE copped on to this and fenced it off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

You took the train to school? Why couldn't you just go to a school near your house? Stupid. Absolutely stupid.:D Sorry I couldn't resist after the intoxifying contribution from a David McWilliams wannabe on another thread. I took the bus myself as the conurbation my family was exiled to was built with no school provided. Not much different now.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I went to secondary school on the Cobh/Cork train in the early 90s.
    6 pounds for the monthy ticket and unlimited travel, with a new adventure every day. From trains with steam leaks into the carriage, to the day someone left a door open and they had to stop the train to do a walk back a mile or so of track to the station to see had anyone fallen out ...

I used to hate those doors you had to reach outside to open. If you were on the short side like myself and you stepped a little close for leverage you ended up standing on the door and swinging out on it!

youngsters with the fancy door buttons don't know they're born etc.

Advertisement