Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlight issue , test tomorrow

Options
  • 30-10-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Hi

I only just found out last night that when switching beams from park to Normal the right hand Front light wont switch up and stays in the not as bright park.
    High Beams work perfect , Would I be failed on this in the test tomorrow , or should I try and get it fixed tonight?
    anyone have any ideas if its the bulb or an electrical fault? if the bulb had blown there would be no light at all

Thanks.
    Paps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

One of the first things they test before starting the drive is the lights. Get it looked at, it's most likely a bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I don't know about your car, but in mine there are separate bulbs for park, dip, and full beam.

Your car has to be in a roadworthy condition for the test, though I'm not sure if that includes lights.

I'd get to a car parts place (or somewhere like Advance Pitstop if there's one near you) and get a new bulb first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Its an 03 Focus , There are separate for Full beams , But I think parking and Normal beams Are the same bulb , I could be wrong and it could be a simple as changing a bulb

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

As the other switch settings are working ok, its almost certainly a bulb. If there is a halfords near you tell them the problem and they will change it for a few euro if you dont know how.

If your lights are faulty the test wont go ahead. Good luck with the test

cool I'll pop in after work , Dad knows how to switch the bulbs out and it would probably be good for me to learn

Thanks again :D
    Thought i had an electrical nightmare on my hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

About €7 for the bulb and two mins to put it in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Unnecessary for the driving test. They only check your indicators and brake lights.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't know where all these people did their driving tests but you will not be failed for having a headlight out as you most likely won't use it in your test.

they check the brake lights and indicators not headlights.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't know where all these people did their driving tests but you will not be failed for having a headlight out as you most likely won't use it in your test.

they check the brake lights and indicators not headlights.

Only one person said they might check your lights, but in weather like we've been having, it's no harm getting a bulb replaced anyway under the auspices of "be safe, be seen".

Yes thanks everyone , The light is fixed :) Crysis averted :cool:

• Advertisement

papu wrote: »
    Yes thanks everyone , The light is fixed :) Crysis averted :cool:

Yay! Best of luck for tomorrow.

thanks everyone , passed it and all \0/:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

J_R wrote: »
    They only check your indicators and brake lights.

My headlights were checked at my test 2 months ago, and my instructor had warned me to make sure my lights were ok (one was dodgy) just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

the corpo wrote: »
    My headlights were checked at my test 2 months ago, and my instructor had warned me to make sure my lights were ok (one was dodgy) just in case.

In fifteen years as an instructor I have never ever heard of headlights being tested.

The examiners remit is
    The brake-lights and indicators should be checked to ensure that they are functioning properly. When checking the brake-lights and indicators, the applicant should be asked to ensure that the ignition is turned fully to 'on'.
    from STANDARD PROCEDURES FOR CONDUCTING DRIVING TESTS - at the vehicle

You may have been asked how would you switch ON your headlights.

Few years back, a pupil of mine smashed up his entire headlight assembly the night before the test. (Indicators survived OK).

I asked the examiner if he would take him out.

His reply:- Why not, its daylight

papu wrote: »
    thanks everyone , passed it and all \0/:D

Congrats.

Advertisement