Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation charges?

• 30-10-2008 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Hi there! Does anyone have an idea of how much translations cost in Ireland? Are they charged per page, word...? A rough idea will do. THANKS!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭gagalina

depends on language (what is source, what is target language)
    Total word count
    type of text...

Could be from 10c to 70c per word...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭inigo

Thanks gagalina!

It was a scientific article from Spanish into English, around 4,000 words of text excluding tables, refs, etc. It wasn't really a translation per se. I was given the article in Spanish and a list of questions in English. So I had to read the article quite a few times and answer the questions in English. I was doing it as a favour, then I was told I could get paid, but I really don't know how much to ask for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭gagalina

Hey,

I don't know about Spanish to English, but English to Spanish could be between 12c to 18c, so should be at least 500 euro.
    They might charge you Project Management or a higher per word rate because you are not a business customer...

I would suggest to send your text to some localisation companies and asking for quotes.

(VistaTEC, Simultrans, LionBridge/Elcano are all in Dublin)

Gagalina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭inigo

Thanks again!

Advertisement