Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor insulation / Attic Insulation

Options
  • 30-10-2008 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

My cousin has some Kingspan TF70 panels for sale which are for the floor I am looking for TF panels for my attic roof to go between the rafters. I was wondering could i fit the TF70 (floor) panels between rafters?

What is differences between the make up of the floor panels vs. the roof panels ? are there draw backs to fitting floor in insulation between rafters ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

sundula wrote: »
    My cousin has some Kingspan TF70 panels for sale which are for the floor I am looking for TF panels for my attic roof to go between the rafters. I was wondering could i fit the TF70 (floor) panels between rafters?

What is differences between the make up of the floor panels vs. the roof panels ? are there draw backs to fitting floor in insulation between rafters ?

as far as I know the tf70 stuff is designed for under concreate floors. It has good compressive strengh .

May be the difference is in the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I dont know what price difference is i will make some calls this afternoon. Not sure what my cousin is looking for the TF stuff I imagine it will cheap as he has no where to store it. But i dont want to take it if its not suitable for insulating between rafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

One thing I noted on the Kingspan website is that if you are putting insulation between the rafters you need to leave an 'air gap' at the back (i.e. between the back of the new insulation and the existing felt lining). Have a look at the Kingspan website and it gives good instructional 'cutaway' drawings showing how the various insulation products are to be installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

I used the xtratherm floor version and get them in a bulk order at a good price last March, so my project manager told me to get enough to use in the rafters for the roof also. He said the board will do as good a job in the roof as the floor.

As youtheman said - you must leave a gap for ventilation. My rafters were six inches and the boards were 100mm (4 inches), giving me a 50mm/2 inch gap for air...

If they are left over on his site you should get them at a really good price - don't be to polite, they would cost your cousin money to dump them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Thanks, yeah have allowed for air gap and his 'scrap' insulation would do. I just didnt want to go to the hassle of cutting and fitting it if its really not suitable. I know my local builders providers said there was no real difference between floor and roof insulation and they knew of instance where builders were just order floor stuff and fitting it between rafters and joists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement