Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac-compatible router/modem

Options
  • 30-10-2008 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    new here, so apologies if I'm vague.

Following a burglary to my building my (Eircom Broadband) phoneline was severed. Eircom were quick to repair the fault, however since then my Broadband drops/disconnects whenever I make or receive a phone call.

Eircom repairmen have checked several times and report the line is working 100%, although I could demonstrate the issue to him there and then.

I have a Netgear DG834 router which must be about 4 years old. One salesperson suggested it may have been damaged by a surge or somesuch during repairs. Is this possible?

I'd be happy to replace it for a faster model anyway. I gather I need a Router with inbuilt modem (wireless). Can someone recommend a Mac compatible option. Is the Apple Airport Extreme a good choice? Or should I stick with Netgear, or some other brand altogether?

Much obliged,
    Cheers,
    MacSnap

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Airport Extreme is fine and dandy but its just a router and does not have a ADSL router built in, why not just get a Netgear DG834G or Netgear DG834GT, (T has better wireless), that way you'll be used to configuring it.

You could go with aiport extreme but you'd haver to buy a seperate DSL modem for it to work and to connect to your broadband and if your not very technical this might be more work then you want.

As for mac compatiable, any ethernet/wireless based adsl router will work with a max, windows, linux etcv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Before you go out to buy a new modem check the following:

Check that you have all your telephone connected via a microfilter. If you have any phone connected directly to the line without a filter, it will cause the symptoms that you are describing.

If you need a new modem:

Just pick up any ADSL2+ wifi router/modem combo unit.

Check out what features you need e.g. some have better range than others, some have better interfaces if you need to configure/reconfigure settings etc.

They're all controlled via a web interface, you typically just type 192.168.0.1 or something similar into your web browser, and it will walk you through set up.

You also need to get the eircom network settings:

Basic modem settings:
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

With eircom DSL, there is generally no user-specific username / password. The system recognises you from your line ID number. It makes set up pretty fool proof.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes there is that too, kinda skipped that by accident,
    Liklely hood of a faulty adsl router causing this is low statisticfally when compared to physical connections or wiring issues causing it

I'd strongly suggest you follow this, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MacSNaP

Thanks for the replies. It does look very like its a filter problem although I switched the filter with one from home (made little difference), and then when the eircom guy was here, he said no filter was required as the 'connection box' had an inbuilt filter (and that two filters could cause problems also). Needless to say all permutations have been useless.

Like the idea of sticking with Netgear. Where can I pick up a Netgear DG834GT? IT Direct were recommending a DG834PN. Is one better than the other, or what's the difference?

Cheers,
    MacSnap

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

MacSNaP wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. It does look very like its a filter problem although I switched the filter with one from home (made little difference), and then when the eircom guy was here, he said no filter was required as the 'connection box' had an inbuilt filter (and that two filters could cause problems also). Needless to say all permutations have been useless.

Like the idea of sticking with Netgear. Where can I pick up a Netgear DG834GT? IT Direct were recommending a DG834PN. Is one better than the other, or what's the difference?

Cheers,
    MacSnap

In theory anyway the pn model extends the wireless range.

http://netgear.co.uk/wireless_modem_router_dg834pn.php

• Advertisement
Advertisement