Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Lay mans terms.........

Options
  • 30-10-2008 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'm living in a rural area so no broadband available however last week eircom made an announcement that the local exchange was upgraded and now is broadband enabled so I though brillant, at long last we can get bb.

So I rang eircom and lo and behold I was told sorry you're line is not suitable so I had this big argument about why do eircom announce all this bull about broadband availability & then I can't get it. He says even though my neighbours might be able to get it we can not due to the line. This is where I don't understand what he is on about. Can anyone explain to me what the "line" has to do with it. My neighbour 100yards down the rd can get bb but we can't. I so annoyed. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

In lay mans terms....

One of two reasons:-

1) your phone line is too far from the exchange or the quality of the copper used in your line is very poor. DSL (Broadband) is limited to how good or bad and/or how long the line is. Even lines very close to each other can vary greatly, like the case of your neighbour.

2) Your line is "shared" - this means that your line has been "split" - this means that it simply is not technically possible to provide broadband using DSL technology. DSL needs a "full" line to work at all. In this case, your neighbours line might not be shared, but yours is.

Hope that is not too simplistic.....

Sorry to hear you cant get BB, it is very frustrating and I know many people in your situation.

As a thought for you - if your neighbour can get it, why not set up a small wireless bridge between the two houses and share the cost between you both? If you use a decent cheap router (Linksys) you can ensure that you both get equal amount of bandwidth. Just a thought? I will help you do this if you PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Geology

Is there any way to 'unsplit' a line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

Thanks crawler. I spoke to eircom again this morning to see what the latest is and he has logged my call & that I have expressed interest in bb. I think he said they're always testing the lines so he said maybe in a few months I will be able to get broadband seeing as exchange is upgraded although I'd take what he said with a pinch of salt! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Geology wrote: »
    Is there any way to 'unsplit' a line?

lay a new line. a split line means that there is only one line going from two houses to the exhange

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jaxy999 wrote: »
    Thanks crawler. I spoke to eircom again this morning to see what the latest is and he has logged my call & that I have expressed interest in bb. I think he said they're always testing the lines so he said maybe in a few months I will be able to get broadband seeing as exchange is upgraded although I'd take what he said with a pinch of salt! :rolleyes:

A letter (old fashioned that is) to the Chief Executive of Eircom has in the past on occassion worked wonders.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56728666#post56728666

Tell him that you have waited a long time etc etc Eircom announcement and you are disappointed could he help and so on. Be nice and civil too:) You never know!
    Rex Comb CEO
    Eircom
    Ardilaun House
    St Stephen's Green West
    Dublin 2

Remember though that the dsl system does have its own limitations and as mentioned above you may be just in an unfortunate location distance wise.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    A letter (old fashioned that is) to the Chief Executive of Eircom has in the past on occassion worked wonders.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56728666#post56728666

Tell him that you have waited a long time etc etc Eircom announcement and you are disappointed could he help and so on. Be nice and civil too:) You never know!

Remember though that the dsl system does have its own limitations and as mentioned above you may be just in an unfortunate location distance wise.

dub45 - keep up - eircom moved to HSQ a while back up at Heuston Station :)

crawler wrote: »
    dub45 - keep up - eircom moved to HSQ a while back up at Heuston Station :)

Well actually I did know that as I regularly pass that way but I wasn't sure if the whole lot of them had gone up there yet and besides I am sure that they have excellent forwarding arrangements in place:)

I am just being my usual pedantic self :D

crawler wrote: »
    I am just being my usual pedantic self :D

Well just to be nostalgic - the new Eircon HQ is actually resting on land which used to be part of the old Stores Branch of the Department of Posts and Telegraphs. Up to the mid '80s there was a factory there which repaired telephones, cable was stored there and and lot of new vans were issued from there! And up to the advent of the Luas and the closing of Steeven's lane to traffic the Military Road which runs along the HSQ was a very unique place in Dublin - it almost seemed like a rural backwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Had the same problem until a few weeks ago. Area exchange was enabled, but I was unable to get broadband with the same sorry excuses that you seem to have got. I rang every week, got in contact with some one that knew some one in Eircom, and low and behold I now have broadband after months for problems getting it. Find some one in Eircom and convince them to help you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MacSNaP

My story.
    This is only about three years back. I spent a year ringing Eircom regularly to upgrade to BB. The line wouldn't support it - either too far from the exchange or poor quality lines. I shared an office with a guy with his own business, he sat 10 feet away from me - he had BB, but no, it was not available to me. ("maybe he was coming from a different exchange...'). My office was in Baggot St, Dublin 2 - a stone's throw from Stephen's green!

Following another negative phone-call, two days later I got an unprompted phone-call from Eircom Sales to know would I be interested perhaps in availing of BB? I explained that yes I would but couldn't because of the exchange distance/line quality. Nonsense they said and a week later I was banding Broad.

Cheers,
    MacSnap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

From reading other people's experiences I'll def keep harassing eircom until it's sorted! fingers x'd :D

Advertisement