Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building Price what do you think??

• 30-10-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all.

I have just recieved my first quote for my new build. The house is 2700 sq ft The price I was given was €193k. This is for no frills builders finish with basic electrical work further additions will be more.

The price doesn't include any clearance work,gravelling, plumbing or stone work on the front elevation.

Also separate price on garage 532 sq ft of €30k.

Thinking of opting for contract build as self employed working 7 days per week and time would be a major issue for direct labour.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I intend to build in Co Cavan.

To me price seems excessive given some of the threads in forums.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It doesn't seem excessive to me. Its kicking in at just over €70/ft2 which isn't bad at all for a contract price.

Shop around by all means but don't sacrifice the quality for the sake of saving a few bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

with all due respect after reading some of the threads in how long did your build take it does sound expensive.

People are having figures ranging from €50-90 per sq ft ready to move in inc furniture etc.

Bear in mind my price includes no stonework on front, plumbing, bathroom fittings, kitchen, floors, tiles ,paint fencing, piers,kerbing, driveway, landscaping, solar panels, etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

with all due respect after reading some of the threads in how long did your build take it does sound expensive.
    So why ask here?

Shop around.

/Edit

Re-opening this again.
    niall_walsh, how does €70/sq ft sound excessive if the prices in the other thread range from €50 - €90?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

People are having figures ranging from €50-90 per sq ft ready to move in inc furniture etc.

Bear in mind my price includes no stonework on front, plumbing, bathroom fittings, kitchen, floors, tiles ,paint fencing, piers,kerbing, driveway, landscaping, solar panels, etc etc

This is how I arrive at my opinion smashy.....ready to move in prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You are going for a full contract. Read the posts again and you will quickly establish that most if not all the lower prices were achieved by using direct labour.

I said earlier that the price you were quoted was not excessive imo. I didnt say it was acceptable either and that is why I suggested you shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

€70 per sq ft for your build is a very good price....

see if yu can get him to throw in the site clearance... it really should be included!!....

however the 30K for the 535 sq ft garage is excessive, assuming its bog standard spec... ie cavity block, no insulation, standard floor and no render......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

that price is pretty good....majority of my builders quotes came in at 89e/sq ft but I just got a quotation (block build) for 2950sq ft for 232k (78e/sqft). This includes site works, builders finish on house, all electrics, plumbing (all rads plus 3 zone system),sinks, toilets and showers x 4....for 500sq/ft garage its an extra 21k....for natural slate its an extra 4.5k......doesn't seem too bad...only red deel finish on doors, stairs so will need to add more for oak finish...but may just go with oak veneer doors....save some cash.

Advertisement