Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting 2 laptops togeter via router

Options
  • 30-10-2008 11:30am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello, short and simple. have two laptops running vista, have a dlink-635 router. can connect them both the net internetgrand, but how do I setup between them so I can transfare files between both of them?
    been googling it a bit but just can't nip it in the but on a step to step guide, maybe someone has a link somewere?
    also had a look at the FAQ and didn't get the answer
    thanks, I think I have bit of an idea with the tcp/ip or so..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭stylers

you want file sharing, for which you'll have to enable on your firewalls on the laptops (usually blocked by default). then share the folders you want to access. The shared documents folder in XP is shared by default.. so when you've enabled file and printer sharing in the firewalls, you should be able to see the two laptops in Network Neighbourhood (My Network places), and the shared folders on them. create a shortcut to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

Hi,

I have the same problem as the OP. Both computers can use the internet. Both show ip addresses on the router home page.

I have enabled every item for sharing and turned my firewall off completly on both PC's but still neither can detect the other.

If the OP has done the same then where do both of us go from here? I expected this to be fairly straight forward on two computers both running Vista.

Help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Change the network profile from Public to Private and you should be able to see the other computers on your network.

MC

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried that I'm afraid and it still did not work. Do one of the computers have to be hard wired to the router via ethernet connection maybe? I have both of them wireless at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No it should not matter to the OS how they are connected, have you allowed the firewall to open the ports needed as above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you checked that both machines are in the same workgroup?

Sorry for the delays of these posts but I am working nights.

I had turned the firewall off completly, would taht not cover opening the ports? or is this something different?

As for the work groups this is something I am unsure of. I have given each comp a name but dont remember coming across this before. Where do I find this?

Thanks again for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

To set the work group name:-

Choose Start Control Panel System

Then choose the Computer Name Tab

Click on Change and set a work group name.

Repeat on the other machine using the same work group name

Thansk folks that has done the trick. (I'm nto sure why though 'coz as far as I could tell they were both just called 'workgroup')? Anyway, issue resolved for me at least.

Cheers

Advertisement