Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 Passat Window problems

Options
  • 30-10-2008 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all,
    coming home from work the other day i let down the electric window on the driver side, it went down ok but would not go fully up. I put it up/down a few times. It would move a little but then stopped altogether and i could hear a crunching sound from the door. I can pull the window up fully but it gradually drops as you drive. Then the next day the exact same thing happened with the passenger window:(
    So now I get blown out of it on way to work everyday!!
    Anybody have any ideas of what the problm might be? Also is it an DIY or mechanic job, that is to say will i need a loan from the bank to pay for it.........

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

The window regulator is shot ........

Happened to me.. think its a main dealer part only...

Your looking at €150 or so for the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you can remove the interior door trim and see what the mechanisim is doing it might point to the source of the problem. Alternatively bring it to an auto electrician to examin it if your not sure.

If it is the regulator then you might be able to find a replacement one in a scrap yard. A new regulator from the manufacturer is pretty expensive in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Don't waste time or money buying a second hand one - it could be on it's last legs and these seem to give a lot of bother with passat's.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I would think Homer90 is spot on and I would agree with with Captain Slow IRL.

Mine went a few months ago and it cost me about €150 to replace. TBH they are a pain in the arse when they go, its a very common problem with the passats. Both of them went on the old mans one - he doesnt really like electric in cars as a result.

Anyway there is a write up on passatworld.com on how to do a DIY job using the regulator from an Audi A6, the regulator from the A6 requires modding to make it fit. The A6 regulator is much stronger. AFAIK the new one you get in your passat will be the same as your old one - as VW didnt bother upgrading it to rectify the problem. I can probably find you the link if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Don't waste time or money buying a second hand one - it could be on it's last legs and these seem to give a lot of bother with passat's.

Yep it's a common fault. Buying a second hand part could end being a case of 'penny wise, pound foolish'. Get a new one that at least has a spare part warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Thanks for the replies lads,
    got a quote of €130 for a new one...caesar are they easy to fit? Did you tackle it yourself?

Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Thanks for the replies lads,
    got a quote of €130 for a new one...caesar are they easy to fit? Did you tackle it yourself?

Cheers...

Afraid I didn't, Im not sure how difficult it is to do. I was getting other stuff done with the car when I had mine fixed so there was no point in me going near it myself.

There are definitely write ups with pictures on how to tackle it yourself on the passat forums.

Im after finding the write up on passatworld.com, hopefully it will be of some help to you:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184712&highlight=regulator

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

I had this problem a few months ago (see here).
    Went and got a replacement door panel in Otto car parts in finglas for about €100 (I think).
    It took me a good while to replace it, simply cause I hadn't ever done anything like that before.
    If I'd to do it again, I'd say it'd take 2 or so hours.
    The guide here is very useful for removing the inside panel and inner panel of the door and here on vwvortex.com is the guide I used to strip and replace the door panel.
    What took me the most time was waiting for my father to get back from hardware store with pop rivets to re-attach the speakers, and getting the door lock module reattached.
    Next time I'm going to use 2 bolts for the door lock module. The plastic rivets that originally attached the door lock to the panel didn't really work when I went to re-attach it to the new panel. (or maybe I'll just go to a mechanic:rolleyes:)
    Anyway, hope this is of some use.
    P.S. if it's one of the actual regulator clips that's broken, I've 2 spare, as it was the cables that broke on my window.
    Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

to the advice and links i got from you guys!!
    Tackled drivers side today and window now up and down like a whore's you know what:p
    Took me about 3 1/2 hrs.Will do passengers side tomorrow, should take less time now that i know what I'm doing, and reckon I will have saved about €300!!

Bill

Ps: problem was steel cable had snapped..

PPS: PASSENGER SIDE DONE TODAY, TOOK ABOUT 2 HRS, EXACT SAME ISSUE! HARD TO BELIEVE THEY WOULD BOTH GO AT SAME TIME?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 2tiredkjl

Hi Roberd

Do you still have the regulator links mentioned in the earlier post.

My electric window is making groaning noises and I think its most likely that a plastic link has broken. Are they a metal and plastic link or an all metal link. Let me know by reply. If they suit I would like to take you up on your offer

Thanks
    Kevin

Advertisement