Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove Stains

Options
  • 30-10-2008 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help with these prob's!

I got paint (matt emulsion) on my partner's new leather jacket the other day and I only noticed it now How do I remove it??!! I tried to gently scrap it off but it looks like a tiny piece of leather is coming away also

Another problem..

My dog peed on the vertical blinds in the kitchen last night and they stink really bad. I have the ends of them steeping in a bowl of hot water with dettol in it and I tired scrubbing the ends of them but the smell is still in them.. Any tips of how to get rid of the smell??

I am not having a good day so far and to top it off I am really broke so any ideas on how to help me with these two problems that dont cost too much??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

I got paint (matt emulsion) on my partner's new leather jacket the other day and I only noticed it now How do I remove it??!! I tried to gently scrap it off but it looks like a tiny piece of leather is coming away also

White spirits, or maybe even nail ppolish remover. Try nail polish remover first as it's more gentle... just put some on a soft cloth and wipe. If that doesn't work, some white spirits on a cloth and wipe it off. You'll get white spirits anywhere, in the supermarket probably.

Another problem..
    My dog peed on the vertical blinds in the kitchen last night and they stink really bad. I have the ends of them steeping in a bowl of hot water with dettol in it and I tired scrubbing the ends of them but the smell is still in them.. Any tips of how to get rid of the smell??

Febreze? Oust? Something like that. I would love to know how your dog managed to pee on window blinds, he must be huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

shellyboo wrote: »
    White spirits, or maybe even nail ppolish remover. Try nail polish remover first as it's more gentle... just put some on a soft cloth and wipe. If that doesn't work, some white spirits on a cloth and wipe it off. You'll get white spirits anywhere, in the supermarket probably.

Perhaps dab a bit of the nail polish remover on the inside of the jacket first to see how it reacts to the leather.

A cold damp cloth and vinegar might get it out first but perhaps you might have to get it professionally done, I know you said you're broke but it'll be cheaper than buying a new jacket, I'd hope!!!

Also there's little bottles of stain devil that you can get in most supermarkets, there's a few different ones, it lists on the bottle what each are for, you might find one that's for paint stains.

For the blinds, perhaps soak them in hot water and handwash powder and give them another scrub. Leave them outside if possible also (I know the weather is a bit rubbish for that though).

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

shellyboo wrote: »

Another problem..

Febreze? Oust? Something like that. I would love to know how your dog managed to pee on window blinds, he must be huge!

Thanks, will try those now!!

Its those floor to ceiling type of vertical slats blinds.. I hope I wont have to replace them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Cathooo wrote: »
    Perhaps dab a bit of the nail polish remover on the inside of the jacket first to see how it reacts to the leather.

A cold damp cloth and vinegar might get it out first but perhaps you might have to get it professionally done, I know you said you're broke but it'll be cheaper than buying a new jacket, I'd hope!!!

Also there's little bottles of stain devil that you can get in most supermarkets, there's a few different ones, it lists on the bottle what each are for, you might find one that's for paint stains.

For the blinds, perhaps soak them in hot water and handwash powder and give them another scrub. Leave them outside if possible also (I know the weather is a bit rubbish for that though).

Thanks Girls, the nail varnish remover worked! Thank god!! I have the blinds steeping in water.. Fingers crossed this works also!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Thanks Girls, the nail varnish remover worked! Thank god!! I have the blinds steeping in water.. Fingers crossed this works also!!

A little drop of vinegar is supposed to be good for dog pee and also to stop them doing it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Another problem..

I am not having a good day so far and to top it off I am really broke so any ideas on how to help me with these two problems that dont cost too much??

Warm the emulsion up with a hairdryer and it'll peel off easily.

Wipe the blinds with plain white vinegar and rinse after a few minutes.
    Repeat a few times and let dry naturally. The vinegar smell will dissapate easily and the dog pee smell should disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

^^ going to try this ^^

Recently, my Dad painted the louvre doors in my hall but closed them before the paint was dry (denies it of course:D) and every coat/jacket has lots of cream stripes on the sleeves..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For the dog pee, if bio washing powder or vinegar do not work, try surgical spirit, you can get a bottle in the chemist, it's worked for me in the past.

Good luck!

Advertisement