Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI 4550 low profile info needed..terror ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Games tested in reviews are considerably different for both cards because of the gap in age, but the 4550 definitely seems to be considerably faster - 3dmark is roughly twice as fast! Going by the 3dmark score, it'd be slower then a 'normal' 8600GT - but since most 8600GT LP cards use DDR2 memory anyway, then the cards would be more or less equal in performance, but you have advantages with the 4550 such as lower power consumption, and so on...the fact that the 4550 has DDR3 memory helps it alot, if you could find a LP 8600GT with DDR3 instead of DDR2 memory, then the 8600GT would probably be faster.

I'd say go for it, seems to be a pretty impressive card for LP users. Hadn't really looked too deep into the new line of low-end Ati stuff but it's just as impressive as the performance cards. Miles faster then the 3450 it replaces. But then again it is a bit more expensive.

Now the only thing is that it's 60 odd euro, which is a decent price for LP performance of that kind, but Komplett have a Demo model LP 8600GT for just 39 euro - you'd save 20 euro and to be honest going from the tests get roughly the same performance. But the important thing to remember is that either card would be way faster then an 8400GS - and check which cards come with the actual half height backing plates, some LP cards don't and you have to buy an accessory kit separately for 10 euro.

Also just remembered now, reading this, you asked me a question about a monitor ages ago - I actually decided to keep it for my new build but forgot to reply. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Thanks for taking your time to check it out for me, no idea when it comes to ATI cards myselfe. I'll go for the 4550 as it goes into a Dell C521 that already are on the max side regards to the psu after upgrades. Nice spotting the demo nv8600 there but as you say it draws a bit more watt so i'll get the 4550 when it comes into stock.

Any luck getting a gfx card yet, seen u bidding on gfx card on adverts.ie ;)

Thanks again terror.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In general I find nVidia cards are great for plug and play, and theres only ever 1 driver for every card just about. But after my first ATI purchase here I'm begining to really fall in love with all of the options available to you in the catalyst driver, including, overclocking controls. A lot more ways for a novice to ruin the card, but if you're already familiar with nView you'll love the extra freedom. And thats before you get into the cost/performance comparisons.

Advertisement