Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Skypephone

• 30-10-2008 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Skype has just sent me one of its regular touting emails. This one is about the 3 Skypephone, which it says you can use to call landlines and mobiles abroad at 'great rates'.

I'm having a little trouble tracking down just what these great rates are, though.

Has anyone got the 3 Skypephone? Is it worth changing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

luckat wrote: »
    Skype has just sent me one of its regular touting emails. This one is about the 3 Skypephone, which it says you can use to call landlines and mobiles abroad at 'great rates'.

I'm having a little trouble tracking down just what these great rates are, though.

the "great rates" are skype's rates to those countries.

whether it's worth changing depends on how many calls you make abroad, how much more convenient it would be be to be able to make the calls from a mobile and if you like the phone itself. so the answer is "it depends" :)

edit: you can't call irish numbers from it by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Got the email and for me I'm not switching under any circumstances

Mini-rant over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hm. I use Skype from home to call abroad (and sometimes Ireland).

According to Skype's own information, you can call Ireland, but on normal 3 rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Hm. I use Skype from home to call abroad (and sometimes Ireland).

According to Skype's own information, you can call Ireland, but on normal 3 rates.

if that is the case then they might as well block it because it makes it pointless.

just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, you can call other irish skype numbers for free but not landline and mobiles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

depends what you have now?

if you use skype regulary (i do), any 3 phone with skype is perfect coverage allowing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Is it possible to use the usual Skype features on the 3 Skype phones, e.g. Monthly subscription, Skype in number? Would it be possible to receive calls on your Skype-in number (effectively a landline number) via the 3 handset?

So you cant call local landlines for free using your skype monthly subscription, via the 3 handset?

Cheers.

kazzer wrote: »
    Is it possible to use the usual Skype features on the 3 Skype phones, e.g. Monthly subscription, Skype in number? Would it be possible to receive calls on your Skype-in number (effectively a landline number) via the 3 handset?

So you cant call local landlines for free using your skype monthly subscription, via the 3 handset?

Cheers.

no it's only free skpe to skpe calls and texts at the moment.....you could get a data add on and use fring if you wanted to use your skype credit... http://www.fring.com/

Cheers. Im using fring at the moment and its class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

no it's only free skpe to skpe calls and texts at the moment.....you could get a data add on and use fring if you wanted to use your skype credit... http://www.fring.com/

While you can't call Irish numbers, with the new version of Skype for 3, you can call phones abroad, to the same Skype rates as usual. If you are on Symbian, check that the version is 2.0.26, and you should be fine.

@flodis, do you know how much it costs to recieve a call on skype....I want to use it to call my brothers mobile in south africa...will he get fleced for recieving the call....

it's a step in the right direction for the 3/Skype partnership...

there's a new skype phone out soon here...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/3-launches-skypephone-s2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

AFAIK 3 Ireland wont be going with that new 3 skype phone. They are getting in a slider called in INQ (that might not be the correct name but its something like that)

Walkman wrote: »
    AFAIK 3 Ireland wont be going with that new 3 skype phone. They are getting in a slider called in INQ (that might not be the correct name but its something like that)

Are you sure? Is that not the INQ?

a slider skype...what will they think of next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

kazzer wrote: »
    Cheers. Im using fring at the moment and its class.

Are you using Fring on the original Skypephone from 3? Tried to install and get it to work but could'nt.

mickger wrote: »
    Are you using Fring on the original Skypephone from 3? Tried to install and get it to work but could'nt.

Im using it on an N95 (not 3). What error are you getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Tried a Skype-to-Skype call using Fring at work. Mate had an N70/Vodafone.
    I was using an E61/Meteor and N82/3.
    Spectaculary craptastic results - half our sentences were dropped, sometimes he couldn't hear me at all. City centre location too.
    I take it this isn't normal ?

i use the standard 3 skype software on my e71...works without a problem most of the time....I had to remove fring....the nokia didn't take a shine to it at all...maybe it's something in the firmware or crappy fring software..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

long_b wrote: »
    Tried a Skype-to-Skype call using Fring at work. Mate had an N70/Vodafone.
    I was using an E61/Meteor and N82/3.
    Spectaculary craptastic results - half our sentences were dropped, sometimes he couldn't hear me at all. City centre location too.
    I take it this isn't normal ?

Turns out it was his phone after all. Apologies to Fring fans.
    Must stop replying to my own posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread but just saw there is a Skypephone S2 available in the UK. Do three have any plans to bring this to Ireland?

no were getting the inq

http://www.three.ie/campaigns/inq_landing.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

No the uk had the S2 long before the inq was launched. 3ireland never released the S2 as the inq has a higher spec.

Advertisement