Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pronouncing "halloween"

Options
  • 30-10-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's just me, but I'm hearing a lot of "HOLLoween" on the radio rather than "HALLoween".

Is this new? Is this a trend? Is this part of the creep of "DART-speak"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Maybe it's just me, but I'm hearing a lot of "HOLLoween" on the radio rather than "HALLoween".

Agreed. There's also the case of the 2FM sports guy who can't pronounce his th's. Drives me nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I e-mailed Joe @rte.ie to beg that gimp Duffy to stop the Holloween pronunciation.

Jaysus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd say a lot of it is down to the fact that it isn't written as Hallowe’en too much any more.

I think 'Hallowe’en' emphasises the the fact that the word is an abbreviation of the words 'Hallows' and 'Evening'

When it's written as Halloween I think people tend to pull the word 'Hall' out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A lot of Americans call it holloween. I know of a lot of Irish that call it holloween including myself. It must be because of the two l's hall o ween rather than hal o ween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What the fugg is so difficult about pronouncing "Halloween"

jaysus:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

mambo wrote: »

Is this new? Is this a trend? Is this part of the creep of "DART-speak"?

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. It’s called ‘Dortspeak’.

http://www.hiberno-english.com/body.php?id=3148

It’s also quite common in America: Shopping ‘Moll’ instead of ‘Mall’.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Raven. wrote: »

That's the correct way to say it... you don't say Hal when you mean Hall... why would you say Mal instead of Mall?

But the case here is that with Halloween the word is Hallow not Hall.

The Raven. wrote: »
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head. It’s called ‘Dortspeak’.

http://www.hiberno-english.com/body.php?id=3148

So would you call a ball a bal and you would say cal instead of call.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

firsttime I'm ever had anyone take issue with the pronunciation of hallowe'en! I'm more interested in the lack of apostrophe though and what it was all about. I usually spell it with the e'e

What about the young women that call Cork Co-irk they make two words out of it. That's what I would call murdering the english language.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What about the young women that call Cork Co-irk they make two words out of it. That's what I would call murdering the english language.

Yeah but its cork so nobody cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

faceman wrote: »
    Yeah but its cork so nobody cares.

I see what you did there.

Advertisement