Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet: Getting started!?

Options
  • 30-10-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

My father got the permanet ariel and stuff set up last week but cant get it to work.

The Arris modem has 4 green lights (all except link) lighting green and according to Permanet it's all working from their side. He had an old dial up thing set up and even though i've tried to fiddle about with it it doesnt change.

Anyone got any clues how to get it to work as permanet have been about as much use as ,,,(insert uterly uselss object here),

Ta

Comments

Just so I have this right, the Cable/Online/Power lights are all on but the Link light is off? If so then the modem can't detect a connection to the PC, router or whatever else you have plugged in to it. I'd say to check the cables for a start. Do you have the modem connected directly to the PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Make sure the power cable going into the signal booster is fully plugged in..
    And un screw and re screw all the places where the COAX cable connect to the modem and the signal booster,
    Sometimes the service can be down for a few hours and you would have these symptons but mine did this last year and an engineer was called out to replace something in the antenna,can't see it being an issue with your though

Edit:THe first 4 lights should be on constant and the 5th should be flashing every second or so?If its doing that it's down to your pc.

Edit no .2 :Has it worked since he got it installed??As normally the engineer will check it for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

thanks for the help lads, after talking to permanet (when they finally rang were very helpful) it seems that the network card has been uninstalled and once i fix that it should work.

Now i have to figure out how to install a network card and i dont even know what sort it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

http://www.google.ie/search?q=how+to+install+a+network+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Try any of the link in the above search, you prob only have to reinstall the drivers, what os and make of PC is it? If a Dell PM me the service tag and I'll get you the drivers you need.

MC

Can i ask,how did permanet figure that out??

• Advertisement

Vulcan Mind meld... Latest IT support technique!!! LOL :)

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Can i ask,how did permanet figure that out??

well we sort of worked it out together, seemed the sensible solution

http://www.google.ie/search?q=how+to+install+a+network+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Try any of the link in the above search, you prob only have to reinstall the drivers, what os and make of PC is it? If a Dell PM me the service tag and I'll get you the drivers you need.
    MC

As far as i know it's not a Dell, but ill check to make sure, ill ask my brother, he gave them the computer, he might also know about the network card.
    Its a laptop so i cant just open it and check.

Ah ok, check the BIOS to see if it has been disabled as if the driver has been uninstalled and the network card is still enabled then the new device wizzard should kick in and ask for the driver etc.

MC

Ah ok, check the BIOS to see if it has been disabled as if the driver has been uninstalled and the network card is still enabled then the new device wizzard should kick in and ask for the driver etc.

MC

ill have a look at the bios and the dell details when im ther eon saturday,

im wondering would one of these work either way?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCArena-USB-Ethernet-Adapter-RJ45/dp/B0013G0S5W/ref=sr_1_2/275-5488279-7143242?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225405805&sr=8-2

• Advertisement

It would but I would only go down that route if the internal is not functioning without an obvious cause.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Im just wondering are you useing wireless on the laptop and have you turned it on there is a button or swich on most laptops to turn on the wireless the amount of people that think there net is not working just because there wireles is turned of you would not belive :eek:

Bring over another laptop (your own or a friends) and connect it directly to the permanet modem with an ethernet cable.
    If it works the problem is obviously with your Dads pc.

If it doesn't then it's time to get on to the vulcans again..

Im just wondering are you useing wireless on the laptop and have you turned it on there is a button or swich on most laptops to turn on the wireless the amount of people that think there net is not working just because there wireles is turned of you would not belive :eek:

It's not wireless.

Well the problem appears to be that there's no network card in the computer!
    There is a slot that fits but after messing about with it and trawling the net it appears that this slot is in all Dell Inspiron 2500's but the network card was an option that my brother obviously didnt get when he bought it.
    All i get on the device manager is an "Atmel PCMCIA FastVNET (502A-D)" which im presuming is this external card thing (about size of a credit card) which was previously used for a the telephone modem.

Anyway, moving on, the plan was allways to get a router and connect wireless. I had my sisters laptop on the connection by the way and it worked no problem, so there's obviously no problem on Permanet's side.

I have never dabbled in wireless routers but am i right in assuming that the wire from the modem that goes into the computer will instead go into the wireless modem. Which will in turn send out signals to an ariel that is attached to a USB PORT on the laptop?

It is obviously essential that it goes to the USB port. Very appreciative of help!

You could also use a PCMCIA wireless adaptor or a PCMCIA wired adaptor. You will need a router with an RJ45 WAN port also known as a cable router but Ricky91t is more familiar with their equipment and should be able to say for certain what you require.

MC

You could also use a PCMCIA wireless adaptor or a PCMCIA wired adaptor. You will need a router with an RJ45 WAN port also known as a cable router but Ricky91t is more familiar with their equipment and should be able to say for certain what you require.
    MC

What i want is the cheapest and most readily available, ie in Argos or somewhere, quality, ie speed is not such an issue as the auld lad only really wants a stable connection quicker than his current telephone modem so he can check the horses and stuff!

USB can be cheap but avoid Belkin, bit of a long story, as they can be disastrous but the PCMCIA is neater IMO and frees up the usb port for other things. How far form the modem and router would the laptop be situated and any thick walls etc in the house as these have a detrimental effect in the wireless signal.

I'll have a gander at argos.ie for some suitable items and get back to you.

MC

USB can be cheap but avoid Belkin, bit of a long story, as they can be disastrous but the PCMCIA is neater IMO and frees up the usb port for other things. How far form the modem and router would the laptop be situated and any thick walls etc in the house as these have a detrimental effect in the wireless signal.
    I'll have a gander at argos.ie for some suitable items and get back to you.
    MC

Like i said the computer is used for the minimum so there are USB ports to spare. They router would be fairly central in the house and if needed the computer could be in the same room or right beside it. I dont think the walls are that thick either way, it's a fairly new house.

• Advertisement

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335911

OP i'd recommend this it will do you fine...

Ricky91t wrote: »
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335911

OP i'd recommend this it will do you fine...

That looks good but post 19 said avoid Belkin???

That Belkin bundle while it looks tempting could have you pulling their hair out, they have had a desperate rep on coverage etc and having had one myself (still have it) but now using Linksys equipment I can see a marked difference in the coverage.

I also have the Netgear equipment (Router and USB) I suggested above and it is a good solid performer.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331503
    Nice bundle.

MC

But even so,if he's only been using it near the router(the cable is only 1.5 meters or so) the belkin is definetly gonna cover that,also i use Belkin pcmcia card and it provides better coverage than my mums acer laptop which is only a year old...I'm not trying to get into another argument(I'm sure we had one before :pac:)..But the Fact the OP only needs something close €30 saving is good!

Can't remember any argument but I see your point but I have answered so many questions over in Wireless over the years that boiled down to being a Belkin equipment issue I have got to be prudent when advising people on what to buy, that said the latest crop of Belkin kit (the kit you suggested unfortunately isn't part of this) the N1 Vision in particular seems to be getting good reviews so they look to have mended their ways.

Which ever one you get OP let us know and we'll give you help setting it up if you need it.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dahak

The Permanet modem (Arris WM550 if I remember correctly, I'm not near it at the moment) has two outputs.

An ethernet jack and a USB B connector (the square type you normally find on USB printers).

On the sticker on the modem you'll see that the both the USB and ethernet connections have mac addresses.
    It is possible to connect the USB port to you're computer and access the internet this way. I have done this with a Permanet connection, but with two cravats.
    1. Permanet do not support this method of connection, they only advertise connecting through the ethernet connection with a network card. So if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work.
    2. I have no idea what the set-up is on windows is, with Ununtu 8.04, I plugged in the USB cable and it automatically detected the connection and worked.

This also allows two computers to connected at the one time, one through the ethernet port and one through the USB port.

Note:
    I have no association with Permanet, apart from my parents having internet access through them.
    I would be very surprised if Permanet give any technical support connecting to the modem through this method, they clearly state that to connect directly to the modem a computer with a wired network interface is required.

I hope this is of some help, as for drivers etc., that may be required for a windows computer, I have no idea what may or may not be required. That is an exercise left to the reader...

Their original modem was an Arris CM450W. They also use another Arris one with no USB interface but I don't know what model it is.

Well lads, im still none the wiser!

I bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCArena-USB-Ethernet-Adapter-RJ45/dp/B0013G0S5W/ref=sr_1_2/275-5488279-7143242?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225405805&sr=8-2

and it works fine on my computer and on his laptop in my house (i have Imagine broadband) but at his place on permanet it just says "there is a network wire unplugged".

I tought it might be his network wire but that wire works fine coming from my router straight into the back of his!
    Any ideas????

• Advertisement

dahak wrote: »
    The Permanet modem (Arris WM550 if I remember correctly, I'm not near it at the moment) has two outputs. An ethernet jack and a USB B connector (the square type you normally find on USB printers).

It does indeed.
    dahak wrote: »
    It is possible to connect the USB port to you're computer and access the internet this way. I have done this with a Permanet connection, but with two cravats.
    1. Permanet do not support this method of connection, they only advertise connecting through the ethernet connection with a network card. So if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work.
    2. I have no idea what the set-up is on windows is, with Ununtu 8.04, I plugged in the USB cable and it automatically detected the connection and worked.

I have one of these wires but i couldnt get it to work with my Imagine modem which also has the ports. Ill have to try and find the drivers.

Advertisement