Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Self defense club - Urban Krav Maga Northern Ireland

• 30-10-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi,

Just a heads up for the Northern Ireland members.

There is now a new Urban Krav Maga class opened in Northern Ireland.

Urban Krav Maga is a close quarter combat fighting system which uses techniques from various krav maga fighting systems and martial arts like BJJ,Karate, Mauy Thai, Judo, Boxing,Vale Tudo for example.

Unlike alot of other krav maga clubs like ckm Urban krav Maga have full contact freestyle sparring as part of their syllabus as well as the street defenses. These are tested in MMA bouts. The street defenses are tested in pressure tests.

At Israeli Fighting Systems Northern Ireland we are big believers in combat conditoning which involves tabbatta circuits, tabbatta sprints, kettle bells, tyre flipping, rope climbing, tyre smashing to name a few.

We have guys from many N.Ireland martial arts clubs who come down to cross train in krav maga.

We are an open invite club but out of respect to other martial arts and fighting systems clubs we ask that the guys comming from other clubs first check with their clubs if they are allowed to cross train in krav maga before they come down.

Anyone interested please contact

Paul - phpmcl@yahoo.com

or

Chris - chris.tweed@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I want to do a bit of that but nowhere in Waterford doing it. Well not that I know of anyways :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blackking380

hi there lads i was wondering where there is a place to learn this sport, im very interested to in doing this, im from the ards peninsula area and would be grateful for any info on the nearest club to me, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Gotta say that the name 'Isreali Fighting Systems' is a really unfortunate one. Anything with Isreal in the title has such negative connotations that it will marginalise a lot of people. Coupled with "fighting sytems" it makes it sound like you might teach the theory of bulldozing houses, firing missles from helos into schools and hospitals and shooting kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

el tel wrote: »
    Gotta say that the name 'Isreali Fighting Systems' is a really unfortunate one. Anything with Isreal in the title has such negative connotations that it will marginalise a lot of people. Coupled with "fighting sytems" it makes it sound like you might teach the theory of bulldozing houses, firing missles from helos into schools and hospitals and shooting kids.

Very kind of you to give us your views, its a really constructive post, if its politics you want to talk about theres a section i am sure for that, this is about a new self defence club.

In that frame of mind anyone who does Tae kwon do, supports korea in the testing of nuclear weapons?? Dont think so.

For anyone else with wondering about the clubs name heres some info -

The name Israeli Fighting Systems comes from the combined styles of krav maga,kapap,lotar etc aswell as BJJ,Muay Thai as these are all the arts that are also incoperated in Krav Maga.

We have catholics, protestants,blacks,whites,male,female you name it train with us - we have also had musilms and jews train with us together respectfully in the past with no problems.

Infact the only place I have ever heard of world politics ever spoke of is by narrow minded people being sterotypical on forums just looking for something to say to get reactions and stir crap.

We use the system dirived by combing multiple effective techniques taken from many various arts - were it originates from is off no concern to us.

If it had off been developed in Ireland it would have been Irish fighting systems.

We have absolutely no connections with any B.S to do with religion or politics, anyone who even thinks of bringing any of that crap into our club will be banned,that goes for local issues also.

Yes its unfortunate with the worlds troubles but it has nothing to do with the clubs name, its the effective close quarter combat techniques that we are only interested in,

thanks

hi there lads i was wondering where there is a place to learn this sport, im very interested to in doing this, im from the ards peninsula area and would be grateful for any info on the nearest club to me, thanks

Hi Mate,

drop me an e-mail if you are still interested

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 munster100

I've seen instructor courses pop up around Limerick where basically people are given krav maga black belts ( or a grade off it) after a 2 day course. Some of the people who have done these courses have very little martial arts experience. In fairness are people serious thinking they are blackbelts after only 2 days. Is this common as personally I think its a joke and harms martial arts for serious students and instructors and clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Cool. I wanna 2 a 3 day course now :p

munster100 wrote: »
    I've seen instructor courses pop up around Limerick where basically people are given krav maga black belts ( or a grade off it) after a 2 day course. Some of the people who have done these courses have very little martial arts experience. In fairness are people serious thinking they are blackbelts after only 2 days. Is this common as personally I think its a joke and harms martial arts for serious students and instructors and clubs.

Hi Munster 100,

I am not sure which Krav Maga club you are talking about, there are a few different ones.

We ourseleves are the only Urban Krav Maga club in Ireland, the Instructors under UKM have a solid background in alot of different martial arts and fighting systems. This is what helps keep the techniques evolving combining knowledge from a range of fighting systems and martial arts.

The Head UKM instructors have a wealth of experience of instructorship with 2-3 different krav maga organisations having trained under top krav Maga masters such as David Khan. They are also senior members of the british combat association and carry Dans in karate, are experienced bjj fighters,wrestlers,judo,kick boxing and muay thai practioners.

The latest addition to the UKM instructors is from world champion BJJ fighter Leo Negao, he holds 6-7 top BJJ titles and has been studying UKM along with the head instructor Stewart Mc Gill for the last number of years.

Comming from a instructor background in another art or system helps but below is the traditional way to progress through a club.

I can only speak for what i know from Urban Krav Maga, the application process for instructors is tight. Progression through clubs like regular Martial arts with talented senior students who show drive,determination and the qualities and potential to become an instructor is another way for Urban Krav Maga just like any other club but it has a minimum of 4-5 years experience before you are even considered. Once considered it takes time also with many intense weeks off breaking you down,testing you and pushing you to the limits on coaching skills,techniques, and extreme conditioning and beasting sessions to test your abilities under pressure, even after that you may only progress to assistant coach and then continue on with more weeks of testing. This is how myself and co-instructor became instructors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Zephyrius

Well lads, I've been looking into krav maga and have been considering doing it myself, possibly get a friend in too. Heres where I hit a brick wall, am in Waterford. Does anyone know of a club or organisation in that area? Having looked online I got a few hits for places like Irish Institute of Krav Maga and Tactical Training. Am not quite sure if those places are completely legit (if they are I apologise if I've caused any offence) but would rather not to take the risk. So, anyone able to point me in the right direction or help me out?

Advertisement