Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Readers Block

Options
  • 30-10-2008 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Ok, I usually read about 3 to 4 books at a time. But over the last month I've tried to read
    1. The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason
    2. The Lizard Cage by Karen Connelly
    3. Duma Key by Stephen King
    4. Atomised by Michel Housellebeca
    5. Gullivers Travels by Jonathan Swift
    6. The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
    7. Dunne by Frank Herbert
    8. The God Delusion
    9. The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld

But i'm losing interest after the 1st or 2nd Chapter. This has never happenend me before, yeah sure i may lose interest in one book every month and put it to one side but never 9 books in a row :eek:

Perhaps the above books are not worth reading? Would appreciated all opinions on the above books i.e. read or put to one side.
    I've started the following books today:
    1. Michael O'Leary A Life in full flight
    2. The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Wish me luck :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just finished Duma Key. Takes a long while to get going, but isn't the same self indulgent crap that I thought dreamcatcher and hearts in atlantis were. I'm not mad into sci-fi, but enjoyed Dune.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I love Stephen King but was a bit disappointed in 'Duma Key'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think you have to give a book more time than 1 or 2 chapters. Came very close to ditching my current book in the early stages, but now I'm nearing the end I really appreciate the necessity of the initial 'slog'.

That said, some books you know are just going to waste your time. Nine in a row is a bit much though!

Co-incidentally Dune is one I started but never got much into (though a huge SF fan). Recently however I've sworn to give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Maybe you should try a book or short stories or a short book or about 150 pages or so just to get back into the swing of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

I would suggest you read Cecilia Ahern's A Place Called Here and when you're done with that pick up anything by Jodi Picoult. Even if you do only make it through the first chapter or two of them you will most definitely run screaming back to the books on your list above! :D

There's some good books you've mentioned there, so its more you than them if ya get me. Give your brain a holiday and try again in a month or two.

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 skybluejay

I've been there! I found it infuriating when it first happened to me because up to then I'd flown through books. I think sometimes you can just get a bit preoccupied with life and get out of the habit of reading.

I think the best way to get into it again is to abandon the books you're currently stuck on - yes, all of them - as you're clearly going nowhere with them at the moment. Choose a few comedic books or novellas - they're quicker and easier to get through if you're out of the reading mode, and they'll help you get back into the groove again.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

I would agree with skybluejay, go for something comic and maybe short. After I burn out I always lean towards Terry Pratchett-they are funny and don't involve to much brain power yet are well written. Its like a breath of fresh air, then back to the high art!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

Jodi Picoult Mercy. this is my first time reading jodi Picoult and it will definatly be my last. its such a hard slog but I am determine to finish it.. if anyone read it.. does it get any better? I am about half way through.
    I am waiting for Harlan Coben to finish his next book.. or get some Dean Koontz.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Mercy, Mercy, Oh God won't someone have Mercy. Yes, that was the one. Dead wife in pick up truck etc etc. Godawful stuff, gets worse! ;)

(Sorry for deviating from topic!)

Advertisement