Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagen Beetle convertible in Irish weather? Any experience?

Options
  • 30-10-2008 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all, am considering purchasing a convertible Volkswagen Beetle with a soft top for the South East region of Ireland. I've no experience with convertibles at all and am wondering what they're like to keep? Any fellow Irish users feel they're a waste, they leak, are cold or get mouldy? Or are they grand, totally waterproof?

I have a garage that I can use but you can safely assume I'll be driving it through lots and lots of rain, ice and generally crap weather :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

BravoGolf wrote: »
    Hi all, am considering purchasing a convertible Volkswagen Beetle with a soft top for the South East region of Ireland. I've no experience with convertibles at all and am wondering what they're like to keep? Any fellow Irish users feel they're a waste, they leak, are cold or get mouldy? Or are they grand, totally waterproof?

I have a garage that I can use but you can safely assume I'll be driving it through lots and lots of rain, ice and generally crap weather :D

I've heard or read nothing negative about the build quality. I'm sure you'll be dry in one. If you're a girl you'll look a little silly in one, but if you're a guy you need to think of something else to buy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

A friend of mine has one. Doesn't get much chance to have the roof down though!

Last complaint I heard was that they were looking for something to remove the green whatever from the roof. They mentioned that it was noisy too, though cold doesn't seem to be a problem.

Last year they had a major problem with water getting into the passenger side. I can't say it was because of the roof as the source was never diagnosed and it seemed to stop as fast as it started.

They're not the most durable of cars - lots of little things have given way like the window winders that cost something like €300 to put right. Also they're a bit of a pain to service, with that guard on the bottom that has to be removed to change the oil and getting the brake fluid topped up or the air filter changed is a major problem due to the location of the things and lack of space.

I would have reservations about it but it's your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

The front indicator bulbs are also a whore to get at if they need changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Test drive one on a rainy day, then see if it's for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you buy one you have to buy a sunflower to stick out of your dashboard like all the other beetle convertible drivers going around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

^But dont put water into the vase, someone told me its stuck to the dash, and you will have to turn the car upside down to empty it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BravoGolf

If you buy one you have to buy a sunflower to stick out of your dashboard like all the other beetle convertible drivers going around.

lol :D

The beetle is a little gay alright, not the most manly of cars :p Worst still, my existing car is a Ford Ka! Perhaps I'm letting the missus get her way too much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Beetles are deadly. Don't mind these "uncomfortable with their sexuality" types. I prefer the older models though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest I think the MINI convertible would be a better choice.

As regarding soft tops in Ireland, in fact I would say our climate generally is better suited to soft tops than say hot and sticky places.

The same in the UK, I read somewhere that the UK has the largest number of soft tops sold in any EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bazz26 wrote: »
    As regarding soft tops in Ireland, in fact I would say our climate generally is better suited to soft tops than say hot and sticky places.

I completely agree - it's not actually that nice being in a convertible with the sun beating down on you. It's much nicer in the sort of humid "summer" weather we get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

The beetle is a very difficult car to park as it is hard to judge. added with the fact that the dash is massive. The should be the same as a Golf to service since there are nearly have identical in running gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

Hi
    your biggest problem wont be leaking or being cold
    it will be vandalism u cant leave a convertible in a car park in ireland overnight without the risk of getting a "free sunroof " courtesy of a scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BravoGolf

Yeah, I appreciate the comments on leaving it overnight somewhere. It's a lovely car and is a very good deal so I'm definitely considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

there are better alternatives out there, like the mini (mentioned above)
    The beetle is seriously outdated at this stage, but not in a cool way like the old beetle.
    Priced a 1.4 a few months ago with leather and a few bits and it came out over €30k. way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Personally for a bit of a male and female convertible within a relative price range the BMW 1 series convertible is quite nice and a little cheaper considering the 1st July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

BravoGolf wrote: »
    lol :D

The beetle is a little gay alright, not the most manly of cars :p Worst still, my existing car is a Ford Ka! Perhaps I'm letting the missus get her way too much :D

Bear in mind that the bettle is going to be crap to drive compared with the KA.

Advertisement